Cobra 6 Pipes - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cobra 6 Pipes

torq loops

I know Miles had a simple solution to help this but I cant find it
    or maybe the cure is to just leave the stock ones on
    I have a set of bassani pipes...i love them but the drone drives me of the bike
    it seems to be a bigger issue with a tall screen,I took mine off and the Drone was lessened
    i personally think the drone comes from under the bags and trys to rip out my brain
    I do not hear much about the vance and hines monster ovals??same issue with drone running the cat??

Since i live in cali i do try to keep the chp happy by not blasting up and down the 91 all day and night..Thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe187 View Post
    I know Miles had a simple solution to help this but I cant find it
    or maybe the cure is to just leave the stock ones on
    I have a set of bassani pipes...i love them but the drone drives me of the bike
    it seems to be a bigger issue with a tall screen,I took mine off and the Drone was lessened
    i personally think the drone comes from under the bags and trys to rip out my brain
    I do not hear much about the vance and hines monster ovals??same issue with drone running the cat??

Since i live in cali i do try to keep the chp happy by not blasting up and down the 91 all day and night..Thoughts??
    Deerslayer tack welded a disk between the cats leaving them in tact. ( I would in Cali ) Yes the Torq loopz work but I think the DIY disk would as well as that eliminates the cat crosstalk and resonance.
    The less you bet, the more you lose when you win

Has anyone tried packing the crossover with fiberglass packing ?

WTB BLACK OR CROME 626

i see couple people here mention having a set for sale but dont really know if they still have it .
    just checking im also posting on the wtb/wts side of the forum

Packing the crossover...

This is an idea several of us floated a few months ago when the drone issue first surfaced. Although I do not have a problem with the drone personally, I think many buyers have sold their 6's for this reason. So in terms of packing the crossover pipe, it seems to accomplish the same goal as the disc one member welded into the pipe, but is a lot easier to accomplish--just unbolt the crossover and twist it open enough to pack tightly with fiberglass or steel wool. This is how we staunch bleeding in trauma cases and in the battlefield so why not try reducing/altering the harmonic that arises from the cats resonating with each other? This solution is inexpensive and reversible in the event it fails or produces some other side effect.

My own approach is to simply avoid the "drone zone" by keeping the tach above 3450 and staying out of freeway crossovers with high sound barriers. The flat six sounds great between 3500 and 5100 rpm!

After having my bike with the Cobra's now for several months, the "drone" no longer bothers me and I have gotten used to the sound and it really is not all the bothersome....I like the looks, paid the bucks, and plan on leaving things alone for now....If things change down the road I will go back to the stockers....Perhaps some "jumped the gun" so speak and got rid of the pipes to soon???..I dunno, pipes and sounds are a personal thing as they say, to each his own!!.....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    After having my bike with the Cobra's now for several months, the "drone" no longer bothers me and I have gotten used to the sound and it really is not all the bothersome....I like the looks, paid the bucks, and plan on leaving things alone for now....If things change down the road I will go back to the stockers....Perhaps some "jumped the gun" so speak and got rid of the pipes to soon???..I dunno, pipes and sounds are a personal thing as they say, to each his own!!.....Ride safe
    I agree. 6 Pipes, 4 Baffles works for me. I get compliments constantly on the look and sound of the Cobra 6.

fiberglass or steel wool. To staunch bleeding ! man I never used that.
    Ok he's done

I agree you get used to the resonance the more you ride with the 6's. I found that the more wind you get in your face the drone goes away . Depends on which shield you have . With the baggershield 11" the little wind I get is a perfect balance with the pipes . I just love these pipes too much to part with them !

A couple of guys have taken out the baffle on the longest (top) pipe and really like the sound it makes..Still has drone but mixed with a little noise I'm told...Might try it for a while and see for myself....