Bike died today - suggestions / comments?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike died today - suggestions / comments?

Bike died today - suggestions / comments?

Hey ALL - Here's the scenario:

Rode the '13 B out to the River (Colorado) Los Angeles to Needles. Handled the desert 102 temp - no problem. Rode great as usual. On the return home trip 2 days later, rode mid 90's temps @ 80 mph for 140 miles - still no problem, but passed Barstow - bike dies. Simply shuts down @ 80 mph - no speedo - no tach. Thoughts of broken cable or possible fuel pump issue immediately came to mind.

While on the side of the freeway, Bike temp is normal, have head lights, have ignition lights but pushing the start button - no crank - NOTHING. As if I'm pushing a non-functioning dead button. 1st problem w/ the B that I've incurred in 60K miles - so I'm baffled. Had no cell service to call AAA. Sat there a few min drinking water, gathering my thoughts thinking that it might have to with the high desert temps. About 5 min later - it cranks over - starts right up. The bike temp gage still read normal - it never moved. Headed back to Barstow to fill up with gas. My fuel was very low and knew it was only a few miles before the low fuel warning light came on. Once fueled up, continued thru the high desert and into the low temp Los Angeles area - about another 120 miles - no issues.

Was it the high desert temps combined with low fuel making the bike shut itself down? Too many gas vapors or lack there of with the high heat? Defective gas cap not allowing tank to breath? I'm lost. Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by adventurous1; 05-30-2021 at 09:59 PM.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

Cam position sensor may be going south on you?

I gleaned the below from previous postings on this board:

1. Did you see the engine check light blinking after it shut down? It may help you by giving you the code for what was wrong.

You should be able to force the bike to give up the trouble code if it registered one in the ECM. With the side stand down, the kill switch on, and in neutral, try turning it over for 10 seconds to see if the FI light will flash its code. If so, report back with the code.

Long = 10
    shorts = 1

Example, 2 longs and 3 shorts = 23. It will repeat itself. If there are more the 1 code, be sure to know which code was indicated first.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

My guess would be the stop start switch. These bikes are notorious for this. They get dirty inside or just brake.
    ITS ALL GOOD

You need to find yourself a good mechanic...

5BA1B526-48AA-47F3-9E52-A48D4F0E5C96.jpg

Give me the number, I need work done.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cali261 View Post

What's her #?
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Cam position sensor may be going south on you?

I gleaned the below from previous postings on this board:

1. Did you see the engine check light blinking after it shut down? It may help you by giving you the code for what was wrong.

You should be able to force the bike to give up the trouble code if it registered one in the ECM. With the side stand down, the kill switch on, and in neutral, try turning it over for 10 seconds to see if the FI light will flash its code. If so, report back with the code.

Long = 10
    shorts = 1

Example, 2 longs and 3 shorts = 23. It will repeat itself. If there are more the 1 code, be sure to know which code was indicated first.
    Engine light 'was not' blinking. Been 4 days - bike still running excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    My guess would be the stop start switch. These bikes are notorious for this. They get dirty inside or just brake.
    I'll look into it. thx.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cali261 View Post

What's her #?