Bike died today - suggestions / comments? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike died today - suggestions / comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Cali261 View Post
    You need to find yourself a good mechanic...

Attachment 7970
    I need my seat polished and the oil checked. What is her number?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous1 View Post
    Hey ALL - Here's the scenario:

Rode the '13 B out to the River (Colorado) Los Angeles to Needles. Handled the desert 102 temp - no problem. Rode great as usual. On the return home trip 2 days later, rode mid 90's temps @ 80 mph for 140 miles - still no problem, but passed Barstow - bike dies. Simply shuts down @ 80 mph - no speedo - no tach. Thoughts of broken cable or possible fuel pump issue immediately came to mind.

While on the side of the freeway, Bike temp is normal, have head lights, have ignition lights but pushing the start button - no crank - NOTHING. As if I'm pushing a non-functioning dead button. 1st problem w/ the B that I've incurred in 60K miles - so I'm baffled. Had no cell service to call AAA. Sat there a few min drinking water, gathering my thoughts thinking that it might have to with the high desert temps. About 5 min later - it cranks over - starts right up. The bike temp gage still read normal - it never moved. Headed back to Barstow to fill up with gas. My fuel was very low and knew it was only a few miles before the low fuel warning light came on. Once fueled up, continued thru the high desert and into the low temp Los Angeles area - about another 120 miles - no issues.

Was it the high desert temps combined with low fuel making the bike shut itself down? Too many gas vapors or lack there of with the high heat? Defective gas cap not allowing tank to breath? I'm lost. Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    My bike just did a similar thing 15,000 miles after the last time it happened. Did this happen again on your bike? Did you do something to make the problem go away?
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Adventurous1 - Any update on what you found?

I'd be inclined to not suspect the cam position sensor. When those go bad, the engine will still spin over, but the bike won't "fire"...just spins over via the starter.

I agree that the kill switch is the first place I'd look. If it were the keyswitch, I'd suspect that the headlight and dash lights would not work.

My B seemed to hit bottom on whatever the problem is this morning. It ran fine on the way home yesterday, but this morning it just cranks without firing. Had to take the cage to work on a perfectly good day for motorcycling. Sigh.

Frye - In your case, you should be able to blink out a code, then. If it won't start, after a 10 second attempt to start, the MIL lamp should blink the code out (the sidestand must be down). It should blink a 2-digit code (i.e. it will blink, then pause then blink again). Count the number of blinks before and after the pause, and section 5-15 of the service manual will tell you what it thinks is wrong. If you don't have that, post here what you find, and one of us will be happy to help. By the way, cam sensor is 1-8, ignition pulse generator is 1-9. Those would be the two I'd suspect, but the code will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    Frye - In your case, you should be able to blink out a code, then. If it won't start, after a 10 second attempt to start, the MIL lamp should blink the code out (the sidestand must be down). It should blink a 2-digit code (i.e. it will blink, then pause then blink again). Count the number of blinks before and after the pause, and section 5-15 of the service manual will tell you what it thinks is wrong. If you don't have that, post here what you find, and one of us will be happy to help. By the way, cam sensor is 1-8, ignition pulse generator is 1-9. Those would be the two I'd suspect, but the code will tell.
    Also to add to what rdbonds posted, you can get the last trouble code stored if the bike does start normally.

You have to hold the throttle wide open when you are trying to start it. The bike will not start due to the WOT condition. After the 10 second starting attempt, it will blink out the trouble code previously stored.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Also to add to what rdbonds posted, you can get the last trouble code stored if the bike does start normally.

You have to hold the throttle wide open when you are trying to start it. The bike will not start due to the WOT condition. After the 10 second starting attempt, it will blink out the trouble code previously stored.
    Awesome! Will try this today since she is starting without problem again now!

Looks like it didn't store a code and is starting and running fine again now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    Looks like it didn't store a code and is starting and running fine again now.
    I hate gremlins. Hopefully it won’t happen again for you, or if it does, you’ll see a trouble code register for you with the check engine light

Unrelated, but I’ve been chasing a Gremlin with my 3rd Gen ‘Taco. Rough idle when warm, not throwing PID codes or CELs at the moment. Was throwing a buttload of those earlier this year when the ACIS shaft broke off in the plenum, choked drivers side cylinders and burned out all of those coils. Good thing for extended warranties.

I suspect possible debris of the plenum door got lodged in one of the intake valves and could’ve bent it. Not enough for the truck to register PIDs or CEL’s at his point.
    Last edited by willtill; 06-18-2022 at 01:53 PM.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I hate gremlins. Hopefully it won’t happen again for you, or if it does, you’ll see a trouble code register for you with the check engine light

Unrelated, but I’ve been chasing a Gremlin with my 3rd Gen ‘Taco. Rough idle when warm, not throwing PID codes or CELs at the moment. Was throwing a buttload of those earlier this year when the ACIS shaft broke off in the plenum, choked drivers side cylinders and burned out all of those coils. Good thing for extended warranties.

I suspect possible debris of the plenum door got lodged in one of the intake valves and could’ve bent it. Not enough for the truck to register PIDs or CEL’s at his point.
    Will,

When you get a chance catch this guy Peter on youtube. He's a good mechanic but he has this German accent that's a riot. When he opens every video he says "Hello friends welcome back to Toyota Maintenance YouTube Channel" then he gives this grin which is funny and eery all at the same time. Anyway, you can send him questions and problems and he'll answer them. I don't even have a Toyota and I watch him, very entertaining, good mechanic. https://m.youtube.com/c/ToyotaMaintenance
    Equitare solum equitare amplius