The end is near - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The end is near

Quote Originally Posted by dmize View Post
    Tuesday I will be getting rid of one of the biggest disappointments of my life.
    I will be trading my 14,000 mile 13 F6B on a 1,400 mile 12 Goldwing.
    Its a sad day when a person has to trade back a year in order to come out of a deal "rightside up".
    AND I will once again have a bike that I can actually wax and keep shiny.
    Yep sad deal on depreciation, etc. on anything you buy with the cost of things today.
    Wife and I rode about 300 miles yesterday with cloud cover and mid 80's temperature.
    Made a few stops and at everyone of them I had to admire and talk about that bike to my wife and she still listens like I have never talked about it.
    We are older and have motorcycled for over 40 years together. Because of our age we have considered hanging it up, but that damn motorcycle is so everything you would want in a putt !
    It's the best motorcycle that I have ever lost money on !
    I best get dressed and clean the bugs off it for the next ride.
    Turtle Wax Ice Spray and no paint problems for me.

Probably the worst investment I ever made was a Obama gun, it doesn't work and you cant fire it.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    Probably the worst investment I ever made was a Obama gun, it doesn't work and you cant fire it.
    It was only chambered in .177 as I recall. No real impact if it did work.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Balk!

Only eight years...? What is this... a "throw away" motorcycle society these days? Maybe with appliances... but not with motorcycles.
    Yep, it is called "Planned Obsolescence" If they made stuff last longer how could they sell new? Vance Packard wrote a book in 1960 called "The Waste Makers" it criticizes planned obsolescence describing the impact of American productivity, especially on the national character, this book along with his 1957 "The Hidden Persuaders" should be a mandatory read in US schools IMO.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Thats funny

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by dmize View Post
    No actually I traded a 2002 Goldwing in on the F6B.
    Found out quickly that I could not wax or keep the bike clean,then found out Honda didn't care. Then found out that there are still 14 2013 F6B's in Honda warehouses that can be purchased new for about $13,000 which made my $19,000 deluxe model worth about $9,000.
    Shitty thing is loosing $10,000 on a bike in 3 years.
    As with ANY VEHICLE purchase, NEVER, NEVER NEVER purchase ANYTHING NEW. Unless of course you don't mind losing 30 -50 % of it's value within a couple of years. Why does any logical thinking person buy any vehicle / vessel new - when they know that the $$$ value is going to drop like a rock, and then cry about it? Are you a progressive / liberal? lol

In Feb / March I paid 11K cash for a 2013 w/ 4K miles on it w/ warranty thru Nov 2017. The seller also left the purchase price 'blank' on the title and the receipt. Of which, I wrote in 5K and only paid 400 ish in sales tax / reg, etc. Took 2 mths to add accessories (this cost I know I will never get back - except it's what I wanted - which brings huge value to my life). Put 7K worry free miles thru National Parks that most of America only dreams about seeing (and I'm blessed to see them quite often). About to take another 4K x country trip first wk in Sept.

11K brings big value into my life (and I don't mean $$$$). If I only keep it for 5 yrs and sell it for 6K, it only depreciated 1K a year for monstrous enjoyment, wicked majestic vistas, and never ending memories. And, the 1K / I lost I make in just over 2 days of working. lol

Most importantly, "it" is not what something costs you, "it" is how much value it brings into your life. (regardless of what "it" is).
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

I hear you about not purchasing new... but I don't trust used.

Even with a warranty... who knows how a vehicle has been treated.... even with low miles. As long as I can comfortably afford new... I'll get it... but if strapped for funds... well... then a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do then.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Even with a warranty... who knows how a vehicle has been treated.... even with low miles. As long as I can comfortably afford new... I'll get it... but if strapped for funds... well... then a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do then.
    Gotta agree here. I have seen too much crap that someone else owned and didn't take care of. Sometimes I even worry that the tech taking it out for a "check" ride will think it belongs to him and do his thing. I never buy used, I would rather do without. This is only my life, may not work for your's and I am not telling anyone how to live their's. Just saying........

Agreed, I'm fairly mechanically inclined and even so my last few used vehicle purchases have been nightmares.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by adventurous1 View Post
    As with ANY VEHICLE purchase, NEVER, NEVER NEVER purchase ANYTHING NEW. Unless of course you don't mind losing 30 -50 % of it's value within a couple of years. Why does any logical thinking person buy any vehicle / vessel new - when they know that the $$$ value is going to drop like a rock, and then cry about it? Are you a progressive / liberal? lol

In Feb / March I paid 11K cash for a 2013 w/ 4K miles on it w/ warranty thru Nov 2017. The seller also left the purchase price 'blank' on the title and the receipt. Of which, I wrote in 5K and only paid 400 ish in sales tax / reg, etc. Took 2 mths to add accessories (this cost I know I will never get back - except it's what I wanted - which brings huge value to my life). Put 7K worry free miles thru National Parks that most of America only dreams about seeing (and I'm blessed to see them quite often). About to take another 4K x country trip first wk in Sept.

11K brings big value into my life (and I don't mean $$$$). If I only keep it for 5 yrs and sell it for 6K, it only depreciated 1K a year for monstrous enjoyment, wicked majestic vistas, and never ending memories. And, the 1K / I lost I make in just over 2 days of working. lol

Most importantly, "it" is not what something costs you, "it" is how much value it brings into your life. (regardless of what "it" is).

I agree! Now that doesn't mean you don't look it over and try it out before buying. I just got a crazy deal on a 2014 Wing. It was used, I changed all the fluids, new brakes and air filter. Hey my wife was used so everything you get is not new!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com