A lawn mower maintanence question for you folks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A lawn mower maintanence question for you folks

A lawn mower maintanence question for you folks

As many of you when not riding my motorcycle I have to work to fund my Motorcycle obsession. For work I have an Outdoor Power Equipment shop and have a question for you folks. This is for my own info on the newest craze from our Manufacturers.

New last year and coming out big this season are walk mowers with B&S engines that require no oil changes. "Just check and add" is their tag line.
    My question is,, what do you folks think? I would guess most folks here do their own service on their mower, tractor or snowthrower ect, so does the $5 or so savings appeal to you or do you feel it is a gimmick.

As I said, just me trying to gauge feedback and see what questions will come up as customers start asking.

Thanks in advance
    Dan
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Those new Briggs and Castration engines probably burn oil...? So adding oil to keep them replenished probably is a good deal for the manufacturer... to avoid a lawsuit for a poorly designed engine :-)

I change my mowers oil and air filter every year meself.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Ummm

That sounds like an odd thing for a manufacturer to hold up as a plus for new equipment. Even if I were to purchase such a machine, I would still change the oil at the end of each season. Then I either drain fuel or run it out. Each spring I have engines that work. Same for my two generators and hurricane season. I use a local small engine repair center for anything more than an occasional float or needle valve problem. It does not appeal to me, but I might want to read more about how exactly they intend to warranty machines that could have a blend of up to 10 year old oil in the case.

What you describe seems more likely to bring you more work than less. Just my take....

Everything today is disposable. I would bet money that they have come to the conclusion that no matter what you do the mower will only last five to ten years before it needs to be replaced.

Always change mine when done for the season. A quart of oil is cheap insurance when compared to the cost of my Honda Snowblower. Don't know why anyone would recommend that an engine, run at full throttle for most of it's life, not have an oil change. Gotta be planned obsolescence.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69

I bought a 21" self-propelled Honda in 1989, still runs like a champ.
    Try that with a Briggs & Stratton.

These days; the mower deck and associated parts usually go tits up; before the engine. Cheap metal and fasteners. I am VERY surprised that my MTD Yard Machine 2 stage snow thrower has lasted almost 10 years now... use the crap out of it during some bad winters up here... but it has a nice Tecumseh engine

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

My neighbor has an old mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine that is over 15 years old and he claims that he has NEVER changed the oil since new....Just added a little when needed!!..Go figure...I have a newer riding mower and I change the oil every season, but with my old MTD push mower that I now use just to trim the edges, etc., I just add a little oil when it becomes necessary...Bought a Homelite power washer two years ago with a Honda engine and now it won't run or start....Just saying!!!...Honda engine was made in China...

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    My neighbor has an old mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine that is over 15 years old and he claims that he has NEVER changed the oil since new....Just added a little when needed!!..Go figure...I have a newer riding mower and I change the oil every season, but with my old MTD push mower that I now use just to trim the edges, etc., I just add a little oil when it becomes necessary...Bought a Homelite power washer two years ago with a Honda engine and now it won't run or start....Just saying!!!...Honda engine was made in China...
    A Chinese copy? Honda is a Jap company.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by BEIST View Post
    Everything today is disposable. I would bet money that they have come to the conclusion that no matter what you do the mower will only last five to ten years before it needs to be replaced.

Exactly, built for our throw away society.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe