Seat upgrade? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seat upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by CindyH View Post
    Recently bought a 2014 F6B that still has the stock seat. I haven't gone on any really long rides yet, but the plan is to go touring in a couple of years.
    I was looking at the day long seats, but I'm concerned about the extra height they add and where the narrow part of the seat is located (starts too far forward). I have a short inseam (30") and currently have some issues trying to manhandle the bike into parking spaces, etc. (it is much heavier than my 750 ACE). I can flat foot it if I'm all the way forward, but then have limited maneuverability with the foot pegs hitting my shins. I'd like to have a seat that is narrow farther back, but that will still be comfortable on long rides.
    Am I asking for the impossible, or are there custom seats available that would fit these requirements?
    Anyone else out there with a short inseam and a custom seat they really like?
    I shipped my OEM seat to Mean City Cycle for mods. it is slightly narrower and slightly lower maybe 1/2" but my 28" inseam still struggles to get traction when backing up or stopping on a hill where a turn maybe necessary from a stop.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

RDL

I have the RDL. It sits me an inc and a half higher than the stock seat, yet I find it much easier to flat foot at stops. The bucket in the seat makes backing much easier also. JMHO
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

Quote Originally Posted by NMRed View Post
    I have the RDL. It sits me an inc and a half higher than the stock seat, yet I find it much easier to flat foot at stops. The bucket in the seat makes backing much easier also. JMHO
    What is your inseam length? I can't imagine me being able to use a seat that is higher than the stock seat.

I have a 29 - 30" inseam and also have the RDL. When I come to a stop, I slide slightly forward and can stand flatfooted or just sit normal and only have 1 foot on the ground. I love the seat, had one on my Honda !VTX and then when I bought the F6B, got one for that. I have a pointed tailbone along with a flat butt which will cause me some pain on a long ride. With the RDL, it spreads your cheeks some and takes pressure off of that pressure point and as stated, I can ride all day long! I had the Ultimate seat and really like the look but it hurt. I also owned the Mustang and that was a hard ride also but too me, looks the best on the F6B. I'm getting up there in years (60), don't care too much anymore for looking good but do want to feel good. Good luck with your decision and welcome!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

RDL

Cindy

My inseam is 32 inches. The front of the seat is much narrower than stock. when you come to a stop you roll forward out of the pocket onto this narrower section so reaching the ground is much easier than on the stock seat. I know it sounds complicated, but it becomes natural by the third stop. The seat is made to fit the rider to the bike. Comfort is increased while making control, stops, and backing the bike easier. Search the threads and ask any other RDL owner. For added assurance RDL guarantees your comfort or they will return the seat to stock.
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

Quote Originally Posted by CindyH View Post
    Recently bought a 2014 F6B that still has the stock seat. I haven't gone on any really long rides yet, but the plan is to go touring in a couple of years.
    I was looking at the day long seats, but I'm concerned about the extra height they add and where the narrow part of the seat is located (starts too far forward). I have a short inseam (30") and currently have some issues trying to manhandle the bike into parking spaces, etc. (it is much heavier than my 750 ACE). I can flat foot it if I'm all the way forward, but then have limited maneuverability with the foot pegs hitting my shins. I'd like to have a seat that is narrow farther back, but that will still be comfortable on long rides.
    Am I asking for the impossible, or are there custom seats available that would fit these requirements?
    Anyone else out there with a short inseam and a custom seat they really like?
    The Mustang seat is good for lowering the rider. It is comfortable to a point but could be better. A sheep skin cover are something like it will help. I use the seat pad that Harley sales. Just got back from a round trip to Houston (1800 plus miles) not bad. Have pictures of my mustang seat in my gallery but still can't load them. I not sure if you can open my gallery and take a look.

Thanks all.
    I had a chance to sit on an F6B with a Mustang seat today (a very fortuitous meeting). It felt very comfortable, narrow enough to flat-foot it while sitting back. I liked the near-vertical part begind the rider. The reach to the handle bars seemed the same or maybe a little closer than my stock seat (which is a good thing).

Question Mustang Seat - Any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by rdeady View Post
    Recently installed mustang seat. I like it so far.Can't say it's plush or anything but feels better then stock to me. I feel like I'm sitting in the bike instead of on top of it. I'm 5'10" and never had a problem touching the ground at stops even with an airhawk r which I almost always used cause the stock seat kinda hurt. So I'm actually a fair amount lower now that I'm not using the airhawk. Not enough seat time to tell if Im going to love the mustang but I kinda like it so far!
    I've read in several places there are some issues with the Mustang Seat for the F6B. Can you please confirm if this is the case as I'm leaning toward the mustang Daytripper Deluxe:

I understand that once the seat is fitted (which I've heard is difficult anyway), the levers used to open the saddlebags need to be pushed back manually instead of returning by spring as originally designed.

Additionally I've read that you can't open the side panes (battery access, etc) without removing the seat.

I'm keen to learn from your (and anyone else's) experience before dropping almost $600.

Thank you!

Uss

Quote Originally Posted by Usswl View Post
    I've read in several places there are some issues with the Mustang Seat for the F6B. Can you please confirm if this is the case as I'm leaning toward the mustang Daytripper Deluxe:

I understand that once the seat is fitted (which I've heard is difficult anyway), the levers used to open the saddlebags need to be pushed back manually instead of returning by spring as originally designed.

Additionally I've read that you can't open the side panes (battery access, etc) without removing the seat.

I'm keen to learn from your (and anyone else's) experience before dropping almost $600.

Thank you!

Uss
    The seat is a b!tch to put on the first time. After a few months of settling, it goes off and on easily.

My saddlebag levers did used to stick, but are better now.

I trimmed about 1/2" off the lower skirting of my Mustang seat so that I could get the side panels off. They are still difficult to put back on, especially the top right grommet of the left side panel. Some say that they can get their panels off and back on with an unmolested Mustang seat - I don't know how they do it.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    The seat is a b!tch to put on the first time. After a few months of settling, it goes off and on easily.

My saddlebag levers did used to stick, but are better now.

I trimmed about 1/2" off the lower skirting of my Mustang seat so that I could get the side panels off. They are still difficult to put back on, especially the top right grommet of the left side panel. Some say that they can get their panels off and back on with an unmolested Mustang seat - I don't know how they do it.
    That's my concern. I don't want to drop that kinda money to then have to use work around in the future.

Pity, I've always loved my Mustang Seats on other bikes!