Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes. - Page 28

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet?

Voters
596. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always wear one!

476 79.87%
  • I sometimes wear one!

93 15.60%
  • I never wear one!

27 4.53%
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Helmet or No Helmet, Not a debate! A simple do you wear always or sometimes.

I'm still waiting to see the study of how many accidents are caused by the wearing of a helmet.

There is a thing I call helmet fatigue. Anyone want to dispute that hasn't ridden a 600 mile day. They haven't experienced the vibration causing drowsiness and fatigue reducing your reaction time and alertness. If you doubt it exist take a ride of say 300 miles with a helmet, then take it off and ride 5 miles. You'll see what I'm talking about!

Loss of peripheral vision is another factor. Especially with some of today's models.

Loss of sound perception is another factor.

I could go on beating this dead horse but let me just say there are far too many inexperienced people passing laws that restrict my freedom to make my own decisions.

PS. I do wear a helmet at times, but I think I'm the best judge of when I need to take it off and ride unencumbered.

I'm still waiting to see the study of how many accidents are caused by the wearing of a helmet.
    I doubt that study will ever be done - no one wants to pay for it.

There is a thing I call helmet fatigue. Anyone want to dispute that hasn't ridden a 600 mile day. They haven't experienced the vibration causing drowsiness and fatigue reducing your reaction time and alertness. If you doubt it exist take a ride of say 300 miles with a helmet, then take it off and ride 5 miles. You'll see what I'm talking about!
    Totally concur with the concept. I've done many 1000 mile days but as a military pilot, I'm more used to the helmet concept than most others I would imagine. Strap a couple of pounds of Night Vision goggles on the front and counter weight with fishing weights on the back and the neck gets a really good workout in a 4 hour flight. Like a professional football player, the helmet is just "part of the gig" and over 30+ years of flying and riding, it has become more natural for me to wear a full face than to not. But, as many will advocate, I'm definitely not the norm on any scale.

Loss of peripheral vision is another factor. Especially with some of today's models.
    I disagree. Unless you have amazing peripheral vision, greater than 190 degrees. Of course, if you move your eyes say full left, yes, there is some periphery loss further to the left. But assuming your neck works normally, that is almost looking behind you at that point. Not really a safety factor.

Loss of sound perception is another factor.
    Again, I respectfully disagree. After 20+ years flying noisy helicopters, I can still hear everything going on around me, save a Tesla approaching from the rear. What FF helmets permit, unfortunately is people to have speakers in their helmets which are now full of 'distracting' noises (phone, GPS, tunes, passenger, other riders) and the rider cannot focus on the ambient road noises. It also 'allows' earbuds to be worn (illegal to be in both ears in the state of Florida) and that definitely diminishes the rider's hearing abilities.

I could go on beating this dead horse but let me just say there are far too many inexperienced people passing laws that restrict my freedom to make my own decisions.
    I wholeheartedly concur!!!!!

PS. I do wear a helmet at times, but I think I'm the best judge of when I need to take it off and ride unencumbered.
    +1. Man's got to know his limitations.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Cool

For me it is the wind that I cannot stand! A FF helmet on a long trip helps with that. I also have three sets of custom ear buds, two with speakers that block out most of the loud stuff and wind but allow you to hear the things you need to. Works for me !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    For me it is the wind that I cannot stand! A FF helmet on a long trip helps with that. I also have three sets of custom ear buds, two with speakers that block out most of the loud stuff and wind but allow you to hear the things you need to. Works for me !
    You, of all people on this forum, know that 'earbuds in both ears simultaneously' is illegal in this state!
    Of course you also know it's damn near a 'tertiary' offense.....

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    You, of all people on this forum, know that 'earbuds in both ears simultaneously' is illegal in this state!

Third? What are one and two? I have been know to be a bit of an outlaw at times. Speeding, running stop signs, I even spit on a sidewalk one time and heaven forbid I have looked upon a woman with less than honorable thoughts before. Wearing or not wearing helmets or earbuds don't bother me a bit. I do think a poll asking if you wear a lid in a state that requires the wearing of lids to give nebulous results. Yep!

I wear earplugs in both ears. 'eff the law... my hearing is more important.

And at the same time.. I can still hear all required ambient sounds.. at a non-damaging level.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Same here in Calif. You can have one ear bud or one headphone on, but it is a to have both ears covered with head phones or hearing protector plugs or amplified buds in while operating a MC or a cage on a public road...oh and on the cage, ya can't run a TV in the front seat, but you can in the back....go figure.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

In days past I used to wear a 1/2 helmet because I rode a Harley and didn't want to not look cool. Now I don't give a fvck what I look like. On ANY bike it is a full face. Anything less and you are exposing those uncovered parts in a crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Old N Grumpy View Post
    In days past I used to wear a 1/2 helmet because I rode a Harley and didn't want to not look cool. Now I don't give a fvck what I look like. On ANY bike it is a full face. Anything less and you are exposing those uncovered parts in a crash.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I do think a poll asking if you wear a lid in a state that requires the wearing of lids to give nebulous results. Yep!
    Yep, I brought this up some time ago. As it stands, this poll is useless.
    Albuquerque, NM