Do you use a GPS? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Not for me on the bike....Too many distractions now with "dumb ass" drivers looking at their car GPS, talking on cell phones or texting while driving......It is good for some, but not this guy....Regards....
    Amen on your post. I am GPS Challenged. That is what maps and the sun is for. I don't need no stinking GPS at night, that's what drinking is designed for. Can I get an Amen brothers and sisters?
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

GPS will not indicate DEER!
    Deer Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    GPS will not indicate DEER!
    True, but you could mark the areas that deer or other road hazards are spotted with a coordinate indicating such. Either to share with others or future reference.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Just installed a new Zumo 665 LM. I bought this model because it has XM radio, weather radar and bluetooth connection with iPhone.

By the way, what's a paper map? Is that like a typewriter or a rotary telephone with a cord?

Use deer whistles and avoid having to mark the places of your near misses, or impacts!

Quote Originally Posted by db24 View Post
    By the way, what's a paper map? Is that like a typewriter or a rotary telephone with a cord?
    Funny. It reminds me of a joke where a grandfather asks his granddaughter for a newspaper. She replies 'Grandpa, this is 21 Century, we don't use paper anymore! Here, use my Ipad!'
    The fly never knew what hit her.

I've been using GPS for long time and I love it. I'm used to it and don't find it distracting as I only look at it when there's nobody around. I glance at the screen fast, kind of like glancing at your rear view mirrors. I don't play with it too much while riding.

I have found many a great twisty two lane road this way. To me a good GPS is invaluable on a road trip. I use Garmin 4.2" Nuvi right now, but I am looking into possibly getting a GPSMAP620 or even Colorado. To me it is important to have high resolution so I can see as many local roads on it as possible. Roads I ride are not crowded, in fact they're fairly small and spread out. No use for highways much. I prefer two lane roads of SC, GA, Western NC and FL.

Sometimes I program it to avoid highways, unpaved roads, u turns and for the shortest distance. This usually yields fun two lane roads.

I actually prefer using a GPS to find my way home once I am thru riding..not so much to light the way…kinda takes the fun out of it..

It is a good thing I am thick shinned about the GPS jokes…I kinda remember almost begging people to bring one, lead a ride , or plan one……………….. not one reply
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Westernbiker View Post
    When I travel, yes, I use a GPS BUT! I also have a map of every state that I am visiting and I consult the map along with using the GPS.
    Yep, What he said. I have an ancient Garmin 2610 that refuses to die. It does the job.

I always have a good idea of the roads I want to use on a road trip and rarely use it to determine my route.

That being said, my gps has taken me on great roads in my own state that I wouldn't have ridden.
    13 F6B Deluxe I've taken the road less traveled, now where the hell am I?
    I don't buy a bike to impress other people, just me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    I actually prefer using a GPS to find my way home once I am thru riding..not so much to light the way…kinda takes the fun out of it..

It is a good thing I am thick shinned about the GPS jokes…I kinda remember almost begging people to bring one, lead a ride , or plan one……………….. not one reply
    You're so right, Steve! After seeing what happened to you leading the way with GPS, I have no interest in attempting that. I do occassionally lead my local group and hear all the complaints when I lead everyone through a small town with several stop lights just because I have my GPS set to "shortest distance". It's a thankless job, for sure .

Quote Originally Posted by 4DI2D View Post
    Use deer whistles and avoid having to mark the places of your near misses, or impacts!
    Put the deer whistles on backwards so to have the deer run AWAY!
    Deer Slayer