Dunlop Elite 4 or Avon Cobras - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dunlop Elite 4 or Avon Cobras

Well, I just got the Elite 4s. So far so good, but haven't really rode them yet. That'll be this weekend. Will be riding the BRP with a rowdy group of Valkyrie riders. I had the infamous low speed wobble between 35 and 40 with the original tires. Second set of Stones the wobble completely went away. Third set, the wobble returned. Now with the Elite 4s, the wobble has disappeared again. That's a plus. The wobble was never intrusive and really only noticed it if both hands were off the bars, but it is gone again.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Well, I just got the Elite 4s. So far so good, but haven't really rode them yet. That'll be this weekend. Will be riding the BRP with a rowdy group of Valkyrie riders. I had the infamous low speed wobble between 35 and 40 with the original tires. Second set of Stones the wobble completely went away. Third set, the wobble returned. Now with the Elite 4s, the wobble has disappeared again. That's a plus. The wobble was never intrusive and really only noticed it if both hands were off the bars, but it is gone again.
    Keep me posted. So no info on semi run flats? The wobble can be fixed with the tapered (fork berings?)

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    Keep me posted. So no info on semi run flats? The wobble can be fixed with the tapered (fork berings?)
    Tapered like from All Balls. That is the supposed cure for the wobble, but mywobble seems to come and go with each set of tires. 1st set(came with bike) wobble. 2nd set (same as OEM) wobble gone. 3rd set (again same as OEM) wobble returned. With this 4th set and now the Dunlop Elite 4s, the wobble has again completely gone away. Not complaining. But if it was from the steering head bearings, it would seem the tires would not make any difference.

Tapered like from All Balls. That is the supposed cure for the wobble, but mywobble seems to come and go with each set of tires. 1st set(came with bike) wobble. 2nd set (same as OEM) wobble gone. 3rd set (again same as OEM) wobble returned. With this 4th set and now the Dunlop Elite 4s, the wobble has again completely gone away. Not complaining. But if it was from the steering head bearings, it would seem the tires would not make any difference.
    Not necessarily. It could be the new tires take time to develop the wobble-causing wear pattern induced by the loose/pitted head bearings. And there may be wear in other suspension parts, the Traxxion Dynamics guy said that they have seen significantly worn fork bushings on GL1800's at as little as 30,000 miles. There's a thread on here that talks about this, or you can jump over to YouTube to find the talk he gave... very informative (multi-part) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCIO7uGziS8

Quote Originally Posted by stillridin View Post
    Not necessarily. It could be the new tires take time to develop the wobble-causing wear pattern induced by the loose/pitted head bearings. And there may be wear in other suspension parts, the Traxxion Dynamics guy said that they have seen significantly worn fork bushings on GL1800's at as little as 30,000 miles. There's a thread on here that talks about this, or you can jump over to YouTube to find the talk he gave... very informative (multi-part) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCIO7uGziS8
    I guess I didn't make it clear enough.
    The wobble didn't develop over time. The wobble was present immediately and gone immediately. First set that came with the bike had the wobble. Second set didn't and never did have the wobble. Third set , immediately again had the wobble from the time I first rolled away once they were installed. Now with the 4th set ,again the wobble is gone.
    I am careful to always watch my tire pressures. Only changes were tires. I've had the bike since brand new.

I guess I didn't make it clear enough.
    The wobble didn't develop over time. The wobble was present immediately and gone immediately. First set that came with the bike had the wobble. Second set didn't and never did have the wobble. Third set , immediately again had the wobble from the time I first rolled away once they were installed. Now with the 4th set ,again the wobble is gone.
    I am careful to always watch my tire pressures. Only changes were tires. I've had the bike since brand new.
    That IS a mystery. And you covered off the obvious sources I can think of, but I DO love a mechanical mystery. Guessing you checked the front wheel was properly aligned after each new tire install (just spouting the things that pop to mind), as it may not take much misalignment to generate wobble as the bike tries to track straight. The Dunlops will have different traction/hysteresis characteristics so may not be affected by whatever the ultimate issue(s).

Maybe it was just manufacturing variation in the OEM tires, slightly out of round or a belt not quite straight, but still within spec.

Often these elusive gremlins are a combination of things, where the thing that appears to be the issue is just the last requirement to complete the scenario. The 1980's CB900F's had a bad reputation for weaving if everything from head bearings to rear shocks weren't perfect.

I'm sure all here would like to know if you (or someone else has a suggestion) to figure out whatdunnit.

I put over 1100 miles on the Dunlop Elite 4s this weekend. I rode down to Clinton,TN and met up with a group. We rode back roads to the southern beginning to the BRP. We rode the BRP up to Sparta,NC where we met a group that came from the northern stretch of the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway) . Rode a bunch of twisty back roads through the mountains back to Clinton. TN. Yesterday I rode home to Elizabethtown,KY after a little exploring.Actually went and looked at a couple houses for sale down that way. I can report that I am pretty pleased so far. Rode some twisties at a very "spirited" pace and the tires stuck great. The tires did seem to be quieter than the Bridgestones. At least I didn't notice any noise from the Dunlops. More miles and time will see if this continues.

OEM

I've always heard that OEM anything (tires, batteries, head lights, pistons, valve stems, bearings), goes to the cheapest bidder that meets the buyer (Honda) specs. They might say it's "special made" for this bike or that bike, that's because it meets buyer specs. == It's good business for the factory (Honda or who ever) to save a penny anyway they can.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    I've always heard that OEM anything (tires, batteries, head lights, pistons, valve stems, bearings), goes to the cheapest bidder that meets the buyer (Honda) specs. They might say it's "special made" for this bike or that bike, that's because it meets buyer specs. == It's good business for the factory (Honda or who ever) to save a penny anyway they can.
    Be that as it may, I got 18k miles on my OEM stones and another 18k on a second set.
    Like JimmyTee, I ride in a quite spirited fashion when I can.
    Got the E4s on now.
    I can feel the point in a lean where the tire goes from the hard compound to the softer compound.
    We'll see how well they do.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

These Avon Cobras have around 6k miles on them.