How water proof are the speakers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How water proof are the speakers?

I'll have to try that. I'm good at breaking stuff though. It's ride time now.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

shooter
    They must be pretty good. Last year I hauled mine in a driving rainstorm for six hours. Didn't hurt anything.

I have the new JBl's and rode 17 hours in on and off rain / bike has sat our at work in the rain a few time / I spray water on them when washing a few times / they still sound good.
    Steve

I have the new JBL's and rode 17 hours in on and off rain / bike has sat our at work in the rain a few time / I spray water on them when washing a few times / they still sound good.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by gregj View Post
    My 6 is my daily commuter. We have had over 2 weeks of rain, almost every day. Bike sits out in the open during the day at work, and in the garage at night. I listen to tune on my commute, no issues so far. I have noticed the rain tends to form a film over the speaker grates, not sure how much actually gets in.
    Same for me Greg. I have had no problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

I don't know if anything is truly waterproof...
    BUT regular speakers have their cones made out of a kind of paper. It's pretty flexible stuff and I'm sure has great acoustic properties but turns to mush if it gets wet. Outdoor speakers ("waterproof", boat speakers, hot tub speakers, etc.) have their cones made from a plastic type film instead of the paper and thus don't turn to mush when wet. I'm sure the audio quality is slightly diminished because the plastic cones are stiffer, but I don't think one can really tell the difference by hearing them. The speakers in the Goldwing are indeed outdoor type. They shouldn't be harmed by rain, washing down, moisture, etc. for the life of the bike. They aren't underwater speakers, so submergence pressure (or being shot at full on with a pressure washer) will probably ruin them, but then the whole bike will likely be toast anyway! They are certainly "fit for purpose" and rain isn't going to mess with them.

My JBL speakers went through a few hours of rain yesterday in St Louis with had to be 8" of rain in a few hours. They sounded great on the way home from work last night and on the way in to work this morning.
    Steve

Speakers getting wet

I have J&M's heavier duty speakers and they have been wet many times and work just great. I really think the mention on the holes in the grill is most likely the biggest deterrent if you don't do anything more. Just my one cents worth!
    Ride Safe, Ride Often

C

Mekong Delta/Can Tho/ Rung Sat- 8/66 ~ 8/68