Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Dirtstiff Speaker Thread

The JBL speakers are rated at a 2 Ohm load, per the website.
    It would be nice to know if the OEM amp was rated to handle a 2 Ohm load.
    Many amps (in the pro audio world) are not rated to go that low.
    I know 12 volt stereo gear is a different animal though.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    Who is performing this guitar riff ?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post

TIA
    Stevie Ray
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

http://www.amazon.com/GTO638-6-5-Inc..._1456768921062

Brian at Product Support - 877.289.7664

Confirms the new JBL GTO wI'll work with 4 ohm and 2 ohm
    Description
    Product Description
    GTO638 Hit the road with the big, rich, detailed sound that makes JBL® products famous. The GTO638 deploys the serious bass of a Plus One® woofer cone and an edge-driven My-Ti™ super tweeter that produces extended high frequencies, just as the best home audio speakers do. In the GTO638, you’ll find attention to detail rarely given to car audio. And it’s a game-changer. Select features to learn more: Patented Plus One® woofer cone Patented Plus One® woofer cone Our proprietary Plus One® woofer cone (patent number 7,548,631) is exceptionally stiff and lightweight and has up to 25 percent more active surface area than you’ll ever find on competing models of the same size. It delivers an audible increase in bass output and efficiency. Home theater-quality tweeter Home theater-quality tweeter The GTO683 has a high-bandwidth, edge-driven textile-dome tweeter with a large voice coil, just as high-end home audio loudspeakers do. The tweeter’s My-Ti™ (a proprietary Mylar®-titanium blend) alloy delivers great power handling, extended high frequencies and seamless integration with the woofer. True sound from built-in crossover network True sound from built-in crossover network By using a built-in crossover network with advanced high-pass and low-pass filters, the GTO638 creates a smooth transition between the woofer and tweeter. The result? Midrange vocals that sound so natural and lifelike, you’d think the vocalist was sitting in the passenger seat. Easy, patented Intermount III mounting system Easy, patented Intermount III mounting system The Intermount III (patent number 6,505,705) system makes installation easy. Using its JBL® installation rings (included), you can fit the GTO638 into factory-built installation locations varying from 6 to 6-3/4 inches. It even simplifies the replacing of aftermarket speakers. Can be safely driven by any head unit Can be safely driven by any head unit The GTO638 is compatible with aftermarket head units and factory-installed systems. Designed to replace factory-installed OEM (original-equipment manufacturer) speakers, the GTO638 is easily installed into nearly any factory-built 6-1/2-inch location – and doing it won’t require special tools or modifications. Genuine 4-ohm performance Genuine 4-ohm performance For the most powerful performance, the GTO638 makes the best use of any amplifier by providing an optimum 2-ohm load. It uses a lower-impedance voice coil than a typical speaker to extract the most power and performance possible from all amplifiers engineered to drive loads of 4 ohms or less. Outstanding audio output Outstanding audio output This muscular speaker offers 180 watts of peak power. Hit the gas and have fun. What's in the box: View contents What's in the box • (2) GTO638 speakers• (2) Mounting brackets• (2) Grilles• (2) Buffer for mounting bracket/grille• (4) Sets of speaker wire• (16) Screws• (1) Owner's Manual Download: Manuals & More Manuals & More Owner's Manual English: 1850.95KB PDF Warranty English: 286.3KB PDF
    Amazon.com
    The 6.5-inch GTO638 is a perfect replacement for those factory speakers, delivering smooth, accurate audio thanks to technologies like JBL's Plus One woofer cone, edge-driven mylar-titanium tweeter and supertweeter, and a built-in crossover network.

The GTO tweeter is both strong and light weight
    while being adjustable

The Plus One woofer cone increases
    bass output and efficiency
    Why JBL Sound?
    For more than 60 years, JBL products have been bringing home the impact and excitement of the world's best recording studios, movie theaters and concert venues. Now, JBL engineers are creating these world-class listening experiences in the car. Thanks to advanced technology developed in the professional arena, JBL mobile products simply sound better than the competition. High output, superb bass response, long life and smooth response are all things you can expect from any speaker that wears the JBL badge. So join enthusiasts who know audio, and don't settle for anything but JBL in your vehicle. Bring the sound of the show on the road.

Listen Loud
    The last thing you want to worry about is the quality of your speakers. We understand. All new JBL mobile products have to go through nearly 500 hours of environmental testing. We put them under temperatures fluctuating between -35° C and +90° C with up to 90 percent air humidity for more than 200 hours. We expose speakers to UV light for more than 150 hours to simulate a mounting location on a car's rear deck. We even shake things up, as all of our new mobile audio products have to pass extensive vibration testing before we release them for production. We've made unparalleled efforts to ensure the best possible quality so that you can listen long and loud when you crank up a JBL speaker.

Edge-Driven, Mylar-Titanium Super Tweeter
    The JBL GTO638 uses a 1/2-inch (12-millimeter) Mylar-titanium (My-Ti) super tweeter with a large voice coil--much like a voice coil found in high-end home audio speakers. The benefit of the Mylar and titanium blend in making a tweeter is that it is lightweight and has remarkable strength. At the same time, its large voice coil increases power handling and reduces distortion at high output levels. This tweeter design also helps create more seamless integration with the woofer. The GTO638's tweeter is even adjustable, so you can modify it to optimize the sound. The result? Crystal-clear, extended high frequencies for true, high-end, audiophile-quality performance.

Edge-Driven, Mylar-Titanium Tweeter
    For extra smooth and detailed sound, the JBL GTO638 speakers use a one-inch (25-millimeter), Mylar-titanium (My-Ti). The addition of this dedicated driver allows the GTO638s to deliver rich sound through the midrange frequencies where most of the vocals in music can be found. This extra detail in the midrange, paired with the �super� tweeter and woofer, means that the GTO638ss deliver true, audiophile-quality performance worthy of even the best home speaker.

Look for the True 4 ohm logo for the best real world performance

Intermount III makes installation into any factory location simple
    Built-in Crossover Networks
    Typical entry level mobile loudspeakers use low performance bass blockers to keep bass from going to the tweeter. Well, the JBL GTO638 is not your typical entry-level loudspeaker. By using a built-in crossover network with advanced high and low pass filters, the GTO638 creates a smooth transition between the woofer and tweeter. The result? Midrange vocals that sound so natural and lifelike you think you the artist were right in the car with you.

Bass that Booms
    Plus One Cone
    The JBL GTO638 uses a 6-1/2-inch (160-millimeter) woofer with the patent-pending JBL Plus One cone technology. Plus One technology gives the GTO638 more cone surface than competing models of the same size--up to 30 percent more in many cases. With a larger cone area, the GTO638 speakers provide higher efficiency and better bass response. Add a low-Q woofer design for higher bass output from the typical mounting location and 180-watt peak power handling, and the GTO638 will really get your car booming.

Powerful Performance
    True 4-Ohm Topology
    Low-impedance speaker voice coils extract more power from your amp for more powerful performance than high-impedance coils do. JBL GTO638 speakers use a lower-impedance voice coil than a typical 4-ohm speaker to extract the most power possible from all amplifiers engineered to drive loads of 4 ohms or less. And the GTO638's are compatible with both aftermarket head units and factory-installed systems. Since many factory-installed systems incorporate 2-ohm speakers and include amplifiers designed to drive 2-ohm loads, replacing those reduced-impedance speakers with a typical 4-ohm model will reduce the power output from the amplifier. For the most powerful performance, the GTO638's make the best use of any amplifier by providing an optimum 2-ohm load.

An Easy Install
    Intermount III (Patent Number 6,505,705) Mounting System
    Doing it yourself? Installing GTO638 speakers in nearly any factory-built location is a breeze. Designed as replacements for factory-installed OEM speakers, they easily install into nearly any factory-built 6-1/2-inch location without requiring any special tools or modifications. To make installation even easier, the GTO638s use JBL's patented Intermount III mounting system. Depending on the vehicle, the factory-built 6-1/2-inch location can actually vary in size from 6 inches all the way up to 6-3/4 inches, thanks to the GTO638's included installation rings. Even if you are upgrading an older set of aftermarket speakers, the GTO638 makes replacing them easy.

And with such easy installation, you'll be listening to your new JBL speakers in no time at all.

The JBL GTO638s deliver high output, superb bass response, long life and smooth response.
    Highlights
    Great JBL Sound Quality
    3-way design delivers true audiophile sound quality
    Plus One woofer cones for the high output and deep bass
    True 4-Ohm design pulls the most power out of your system
    Easy to install
    What's in the Box
    One pair of JBL GTO638 3-way loudspeakers, one set of installation hardware, one set of Intermount III rings

Now you all know what I know.. Use them on your system or bike at your own risk...

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Thanks for the info and doing all the experimenting.

Not trying to be negative, but I don't get the quote above. Where did you get the info that the OEM amp prefers a 2 ohm speaker? Are you sure the OEM amp can handle a 2 ohm load continuously?
    You took the words right out of my mouth lol i've actually blown the internal amp on a high dollar Pioneer head unit on my other bike because I was running polk MM speakers without an amp. Most factory and aftermarket head units/amps are 4 ohm stable.

I think I am gonna pull the trigger and buy a set for my bike, even if it eventually grenades my factory amp its just an excuse to buy an better aftermarket one lol. I am gonna purchase them from sonic electronic because the are 69.99 there, which is already a good price, and for $8 more you can purchase a 3 year warranty on the speakers. So if you do have any issues with them you can just send them back and get a new pair for free. Here is the link.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...BL-GTO638.html

It clearly states on the sonic electronics website: "Can be safely powered by any headunit" so e will see if they are telling the truth lol. Thanks Dirtstiff for doing the legwork, they sound great!

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post

TIA

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble.

Read the cut sheet above and call Technical Support..

Now you all know what I know about these JBL speakers...
    Use them on your bike or stereo system at your own risk
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble.

Read the cut sheet above and call Technical Support..

Now you all know what I know about these JBL speakers...
    Use them on your bike or stereo system at your own risk
    Well thats a much better spec sheet than whats on the sonic electronic website lol but I still think I will order from them and get that 3 year warranty!

To be honest, I've had the db, dxi, MM and liked them all. The ones I liked best, which the GTO's are replacing, are the DXI 651's. Nothing wrong with any. These JBL GTO 638 seem to have better bass and mids. Volume is the same, they just have a rich, fuller sound. If that makes sense.
    My neighbors say it does.

Jim
    Jim, To clarify why do you like the DXI 651's best (or are they now 2nd best to the GTO 638) ?

TIA

Had to get my head around this Ohm's value. The below is stolen from the web:

Why are ohms important?

Two reasons:
    (1) If you connect your amplifier to the wrong speaker impedance, you risk damaging the amp. In tube amps, too high a load impedance (or a disconnected load) can result in damage to the output tubes or output transformer, while in solid state amps, if the speaker impedance is too low, the amplifier will tend to overheat and more power is used up in the amplifier than is delivered to the speaker. Too many speakers on a solid state amp can burn up the power output section.

(2) The amplifier will deliver maximum power (volume) to the speaker when the speaker impedance matches (is equal to) the internal impedance (called the OUTPUT IMPEDANCE) of the amplifier. Too low an impedance will result in weak output and poor tone. If the speaker impedance is higher than that of the amplifier, its power output will again be less than it is capable of.

So does our stoclk OEM amplifier have a dynamic output range from 2-4 ohms? Is that even possible?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I could get excited about these speakers myself but what happens when they get wet? I see no mention of having a marine rating.
    I am with Ken on this one. My bike tends to get wet at times. That is the only thing holding me back. I bought the J&M and are not especially thrilled. JBL has always impressed me. My son got a JBL surround system a few years ago, and I like it better than my Bose even though it was 25% of the price. JBL makes a good product. I just want to make sure of the application.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]