Short? Here's a good place for seat modification
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short? Here's a good place for seat modification

Wink Short? Here's a good place for seat modification

I'm vertically challenged at 5'3" and 29" inseam. I was having a hard time managing the bike around parking spots, and coming to stops. My posture was also a bit painful on long rides because I had to lean forward and put weight on my wrists. I knew the Mustang seat would lower me an inch, but right now I just couldn't afford the high price right now.

Mean City Cycles modified my stock seat for $140. They moved me down about 2 inches and forward 2 inches. I'm really impressed by their work.

Here are before and after pictures. Note the foot position and upper body angle. I can finally get my entire foot on the ground, while before, I could only get the tip of my boot:

Attachment 8938

So if anyone else out there has similar problems, I recommend these guys.

They can also install a heating element and backrest. For tall riders, they can also modify the seat to move you backward.

Yup Allen at Mean City does great work and quick too.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    Yup Allen at Mean City does great work and quick too.
    X2!!!

Thanks for sharing Clutch, what did they do... remove some foam?

With a 32" inseam I can *barely* NOT flatfoot the bike so I like to do something like this too.

Hey srt8 --

Yes they can remove and add memory foam in different places to get different effects. So they can do all kinds of different modifications for tall people or short people to help make their posture more comfortable.

thanks.

I just looked through the gallery on their website... looks like there's nothing they can't do... even adding a drivers backrest which a lot of people ask about.

Bookmarked

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Had my old VTX seat modded by Allen. He put a nice 'scoop' in it that was absolutely more comfy than OEM.

They did mine last week plus added heat!

Local seat mod's in NorCal.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    I'm vertically challenged at 5'3" and 29" inseam. I was having a hard time managing the bike around parking spots, and coming to stops. My posture was also a bit painful on long rides because I had to lean forward and put weight on my wrists. I knew the Mustang seat would lower me an inch, but right now I just couldn't afford the high price right now.

Mean City Cycles modified my stock seat for $140. They moved me down about 2 inches and forward 2 inches. I'm really impressed by their work.

Here are before and after pictures. Note the foot position and upper body angle. I can finally get my entire foot on the ground, while before, I could only get the tip of my boot:

Attachment 8938

So if anyone else out there has similar problems, I recommend these guys.

They can also install a heating element and backrest. For tall riders, they can also modify the seat to move you backward.
    I had a similar problem last year before the Mustang seat was available so I took my bike to Clancy's Speed shop in Cotati, Ca. He opened my stock seat and selectively cut away foam from under my under my butt area and legs so that my 30" inseam could hit the ground flatfooted. Worked great and did it while I waited so that after each successive resection, I could "try out" the changes. The OEM seat looks stock because there is no new stitching--it just has more give when I sit on it!

When my Mustang seat finally arrived, I was impressed with the finish but not the fit nor waterproof top layer so I now use both, but the modified OEM seat is still lower and fits better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfinkelsteinmd View Post
    I had a similar problem last year before the Mustang seat was available so I took my bike to Clancy's Speed shop in Cotati, Ca. He opened my stock seat and selectively cut away foam from under my under my butt area and legs so that my 30" inseam could hit the ground flatfooted. Worked great and did it while I waited so that after each successive resection, I could "try out" the changes. The OEM seat looks stock because there is no new stitching--it just has more give when I sit on it!

When my Mustang seat finally arrived, I was impressed with the finish but not the fit nor waterproof top layer so I now use both, but the modified OEM seat is still lower and fits better.
    Sooooooooooooooooo are you using the Mustang or the stock seat re built?
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com