Reasonable Offer for new F6B/Deluxe - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reasonable Offer for new F6B/Deluxe

I've been watching the market for several months... the advice given here is sound. There are deals to be made on new F6B's (even older model year bikes still in crates). The market for the F6B is soft, and you are entering the "dead of winter" so that is also in your favor.

Originally I wanted a new, white, 2016 with cruise... but in the end, I decided to compromise the color and cruise, and got a 2013 Deluxe in Red with 2700 miles on it, for $10,500.

That was a considerable savings from the cost of new, and if Honda decides to totally update the Gold Wings in 2018 or 2019 or whenever... I can still upgrade to the new model and not take that huge depreciation hit of buying new. Then again, Honda would have to make some huge improvements in order to make me want to part with my current F6B.

Just my $.02.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    I've been watching the market for several months... the advice given here is sound. There are deals to be made on new F6B's (even older model year bikes still in crates). The market for the F6B is soft, and you are entering the "dead of winter" so that is also in your favor.

Originally I wanted a new, white, 2016 with cruise... but in the end, I decided to compromise the color and cruise, and got a 2013 Deluxe in Red with 2700 miles on it, for $10,500.

That was a considerable savings from the cost of new, and if Honda decides to totally update the Gold Wings in 2018 or 2019 or whenever... I can still upgrade to the new model and not take that huge depreciation hit of buying new. Then again, Honda would have to make some huge improvements in order to make me want to part with my current F6B.

Just my $.02.

Jim
    Thanks Jim.

I have been following your posts closely over the last month or so as your decision process seems to closely parallel mine. This will be a big upgrade for me so I have been mulling over the new vs used decision in much the same way you did. Like you, I have a preferred color (blue) and a perceived need for the cruise control option. The more I thing about it, neither seem to be worth the $5K premium.

My problem is I usually keep my toys for a long time and don't trade often. It's a very tough decision.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    My pet peeve is dealer fees.
    Here in Fl. I've seen hidden dealer mark ups between $1,000.00 & $2,000.00 bucks. The Fl. M/C dealers I've tried to do business with will not tell you about their fees unless you ask. The Indian dealer in Ocala, Fl. is right at $2k. Honda dealer in Eustis, Fl. is over $1k, I understand HD dealers are higher. The Fl. dealers I've tried to deal w/ refuse to give a "out the door price" (OTD) on a "dealer invoice w/ their letterhead" Instead they give you something on a business card or a piece of scrap paper they have layin' around, which means nothing when it's time to close. =
    I brought my 2016 Indian Chief Vintage in NC, dealer doc fee $368.00, at a nice discount, driving less than 900 miles round trip. Trip cost was less than $400 bucks, inc. food, gas & 1 night in motel. Net savings, little over $4k.
    My point, get a OTD price, check your contract over, ask questions, before signing. Remember, that's not the last one made, they're building thousands of "your dream bike" every week......... okay, okay, I'll get off my soap box....................... damn dealer fees!.........sorry, I'm really done.
    The dealer fees are what makes shopping around for bikes difficult. I beginning to believe that it is all part of this shell game that the dealers are playing. Seems a bit unethical to offer a advertised price for something then tack on the $2K premium once your start negotiating.

Thanks for the heads-up, I will definitely open up the negotiation with the understanding that we are talking OTD prices and they should include their profit in the negotiated numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by bikernerd@th View Post
    Thanks Jim.

I have been following your posts closely over the last month or so as your decision process seems to closely parallel mine. This will be a big upgrade for me so I have been mulling over the new vs used decision in much the same way you did. Like you, I have a preferred color (blue) and a perceived need for the cruise control option. The more I thing about it, neither seem to be worth the $5K premium.

My problem is I usually keep my toys for a long time and don't trade often. It's a very tough decision.
    I used to trade bikes every 2/3 years when I was younger and some colors/options, etc. did not really matter much....but now that I am older, hopefully wiser, living on a fixed income in retirement, I bought what I wanted as I planned to keep my F6B for while...If your one of those, as you said, who keep things for a while, buy exactly what you want, or as close as you can, for the money you can spend, and ride off into the "sunset" a happy camper!!!....JMHO

Thanks Jim.

You're welcome.

With the money I saved, the bike could become any color I want.

With respect to Cruise... I thought I wanted it mostly to help me keep my speeds under control, but what I've found is that because this bike is so much heavier (read: smoother) than my ST1100P and previous bikes, I actually don't find myself creeping up to unreasonable speeds like I thought I would. I actually ride it quite conservatively. Then again... I'm 56 now and that could be a contributing factor. Additionally, for those few moments when I need to remove my right hand from the throttle, the ThrottleMeister performs well enough.

Jim

I checked cycletrader, they had an ad from a dealer in Huntington Beach, CA that was selling a new 2015 blue one for $13,500. I called the dealer and they told me that I have to add freight and assembly. Assembly was $999 (to put the bike together!) and $400 for freight. The bike may still be available, but you're looking at about $15K OTD. Not sure if you need to figure in sales tax on top of that also or not. I, like Jim, bought a used 2013 red one. Mine has 29,005 miles on it, plus some other goodies, for $9999, plus $318 for doc fees so $10,317 OTD. Delivered right to my garage for free (the dealer was 200 miles away and we have tons of snow on the ground!). Anyway, deals can be had. I just decided it wasn't worth half again the price I paid for a new bike. 29,005 miles in nothing on this engine and the bike still looks great and has some pricey farkles already added. Good luck!

If you intend to keep it awhile then spending the extra funds to get what you want is worth it. Nothing worse then compromising on something and then realizing you really didn't want to give up whatever. $5K may seem like a lot now but if it keeps you on the bike vs trading out in a few years because you didn't get a color or feature you wanted will cost you more in the long run. I myself bought a bike before the B that I wasn't sold on the color but it was a great deal on a new prior year model. The color was just one more irritation when I started having issues with bike. Wonderful machine but it an I could not get on the same page. I unfortunately still own it and will have it finally paid off this spring so hopefully some lucky soul will give it a new home. My B not so subtly laughs at it every time I go for a ride.

Thanks to all who have replied, your comments have been helpful. II agree that the market on the F6B is just too soft to justify purchasing a new bike. Like Jim suggested, the $5K difference in price can more than make up for the color and options that the new bike would bring. The only value add would be the additional warranty, but from what I have read about the bike, these things are pretty much bullet proof beyond some minor issues with the paint.

I think I am going to continue to keep an eye out for a used bike with the options that I want and paint it with the money I saved over new.

Thanks again

F6B for sale

Long time forum lurker, first time poster...

I noticed that Honda as of 01/01/2017 has extended the $2500 rebate to the 2015 models of the F6B. Given the relatively soft market for these bikes, what would you recommend would be a good offer to make on a 2015 F6B regular or deluxe models. Most of the dealers in my have both models in the color that I want.

Thanks in Advance.
    Fl1madmax on this forum has a F6B 2013 with lots of extras for sale. You should contact him and see if you can get krona deal

I would appreciate any input on a deal I've secured, but haven't signed the paperwork yet. I'm primarily undecided because the bike is technically 4 model years old, although it was just taken out of the crate a month ago.

2013 F6B Standard $13,200 + $250 Doc Fee + $890 Tax = $14,340 out the door
    The dealer was also able to get 60 or 72 months financing through American Honda Finance at 5.99% with no prepayment penalty.

I'm wondering how many 2015 models are left out there unsold and if Honda will discount them as much as they did on the '13 and '14 models? I'm thinking if I wait another 6 months I might possibly be able to get a '15 with cruise for $14,500? I'm guessing Honda slowed down production on the '15 and '16 models since they were left with so many '14 and '14's leftover.

The other crazy thing is I purchased a new '13 F6B in May of 2015 for $12,999 but it was sold by the dealer as a demo model. I've regretted my decision to sell it ever since its been gone and want another F6B. It also looks like Honda is no longer making this bike after 2016?

What do you guys think? Should I buy the '13 now or wait? Thanks