What did you do to your F6B today? - Page 97
Page 97 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F6B today?

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    It looks like the ION LED bar is attached to the underside of the front fairing. If so, how does that move with the forks ?
    Aye, laddie. 'Tisn't attached to the fairing, but to the plastic shield under the fairing that is on the forks.

Took a few snaps this morning. Hopefully clears it up:

Attachment 21285

Attachment 21284

Yes, that plastic is a bit more flexible than I'd like it to be, but the ION weighs next to nothing.
    I might fabricate a stiffener for it if I notice the light excessively bobbing up and down - but then cagers will see me, right?
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I see where you mounted that. My concern would be if you fully compress your forks, can the fender rise up to hit that? IIRC, we have about 4" of travel so the question is, do you have more than 4" from the bottom of your ION to the top of the fender? If so, you should be OK.
    Ken (Hornblower)

I see where you mounted that. My concern would be if you fully compress your forks, can the fender rise up to hit that? IIRC, we have about 4" of travel so the question is, do you have more than 4" from the bottom of your ION to the top of the fender? If so, you should be OK.
    Just measured: 4.25"
    Thanks for the data point.
    Rest of the story: the ION came with two mount brackets - the one I installed was the taller of the two - it looked like I would get more light where I wanted it.
    I have the ION aimed as low as possible on this bracket. I'm going to see what the other bracket offers in terms of aim once mounted.
    I am going to revisit all that while I have it apart waiting on "more lighting."

Thanks again, Ken. Your knowledge and experiences have helped me tremendously.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Steve--When I mentioned front suspension travel at around 4" I was just going from memory. Just now, I looked it up in the service manual and I see it is actually 122mm or 4.8". Still, you might be OK since we rarely fully bottom out our forks but if you ever do, you could experience some damage. An example would be hitting a pot hole. Maybe it's a good idea you mounted that light to a flexible and even flimsy plastic part .
    Ken (Hornblower)

Steve--When I mentioned front suspension travel at around 4" I was just going from memory. Just now, I looked it up in the service manual and I see it is actually 122mm or 4.8". Still, you might be OK since we rarely fully bottom out our forks but if you ever do, you could experience some damage. An example would be hitting a pot hole. Maybe it's a good idea you mounted that light to a flexible and even flimsy plastic part .
    ...roger. I'll REALLY look at the other mount now. Maybe put some cushy stuff on the bottom of the light in any case.
    Again, Ken - thanks.

I'll have to ask Steve 0080 to measure his clearance and which mount he used and if he ever had an issue.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    ...roger. I'll REALLY look at the other mount now. Maybe put some cushy stuff on the bottom of the light in any case.
    Again, Ken - thanks.

I'll have to ask Steve 0080 to measure his clearance and which mount he used and if he ever had an issue.
    I've talked to Steve about this and also to Jerry (Blackbetty 12) who had both installed LED bars in the general location that you did. To my knowledge, neither of them ever had an issue with it but then again, if you ever do bottom out the suspension, I'm pretty sure it will hit the front fender.
    Ken (Hornblower)

I've talked to Steve about this and also to Jerry (Blackbetty 12) who had both installed LED bars in the general location that you did. To my knowledge, neither of them ever had an issue with it but then again, if you ever do bottom out the suspension, I'm pretty sure it will hit the front fender.
    Mine is the exact same as Steve's. Except I do not know which bracket he used.
    But, good information like this makes for better decisions.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post

Got the MBL risers to put in....I'm a bit hesitant on those right now - just personal skill level and comfort taking the bike further apart.
    Also reinstalling the Smuggler seat and trunk. I really like that low look in the back.

Having fun with my dear Isleen.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I am mechanically inept, and was able to do the MBL risers no problem. I think there was a video somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by pilotguy299 View Post
    I am mechanically inept, and was able to do the MBL risers no problem. I think there was a video somewhere...
    Thanks mate. I'll get to it. I'm just a bit overwhelmed with all the plastic pieces everywhere right now....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

ART

Rode it hard and put it away hot and tired. Chas (Taz) and I took the Team Oregon Advanced Rider Training today. Was held at a local go-kart track and covered emergency braking, swerving, braking in a curve and picking lines through a curve. Great class! Taz is the man!!
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about God than in church thinking about my bike.

Remember not how a man died, but rather how he lived.

RIP:
    MVSB
    SpeedGeek
    Saxon
    Eric Gustafson