Define Yourself - F6B Owner/Rider - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Define Yourself - F6B Owner/Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Elin in So. Cal. View Post

So here's a couple of questions:

How different or similar are you in thinking and lifestyles from the following:

Gold Wing owners/riders
    Harley Davidson owners/riders
    Other brand riders (Yamaha, Suzuki, Indian, Victory)
    Questions like this are far too general for me. If you pick a specific rider, then, maybe I can reasonably compare. Otherwise, I have no issues or remarks to make about other riders. After 41 previous bikes of many makes and models, I can relate to most in one way or another.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Good thread as long as it doesn't get too far off track. Myself I like to ride alone or with the wife on the back. Don't get the Harley, Victory, Indian dress like a pirate thing. I've found the BMW riders tend to have "I'm better than you" attitude. And some of the Goldwing riders have it too. Most of the sport bike riders around here are idiots. I'm pretty laid back and respect what other people ride except for the scooter crowd.Most of them are just plain dangerous. I will not go on large group rides anymore after seeing what inexperienced clowns will do. Don't drink or bar hop anymore. My riding style has become slow and easy and since retiring this summer I find I'm never in a rush and don't get road rage as much. Since the wifey isn't keen on long distance rides I may take a solo trip out to the mountains of beautiful British Columbia next summer and come back thru the USA with no destination planned. Just gonna "Wing" it.
    2013 F6B in black of course

I have been all sorts---Here I am now.

In the mid 70's it was Hondas of all sorts, dual purpose, CBs of the 350, 550, 750 variety. Bikes back then were bicycles with a motor. It was not a big deal if it fell over or was in the rain. It was a toy that I jumped on for a few minutes of fun.

Then there were tha Harley years--lasted about a decade. There is NO larger concentration of testosterone that in Daytona Beach in March and Myrtle Beach in May. I know-- I am there! I did enjoy the brotherhood that only HD guys share. EXAMPLE: If you have a stator go out in Cashiers at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon, Harley guys and shops will make sure you are not stranded--they will get you back on the road even if it means staying 3 hours over on a Friday night and not charging extra. The only requirement is to ride a Harley. But, I had to move on because of the inferior techngoly.

That took me to Victory and I owned 2 of them. They are very fine premium machines. The style and design are awesome and for the most part are very reliable and powerful. I loved not having what everybody else has and it being a quality machine. The guys on the Vic forums are nicer than most and it is a tight group. I was driven--or scared off becasue of the poor, poor, worse than you can imagine lack of support and don't give a rats rectum attitude by most of their dealers and Ma Vic itself. I have stories of taking a nail in a tire and riding 80 miles to get a tire changed when local dealerships don't have time to mess with you--ordering $7 worth of stuff and paying $10 in shipping to the dealer, etc.... Victory is a motorcycle that is a success in spite of the company that builds and sells it. They make NO apologies. All warranty claims must be preapproved and may are denied.

That brings me to Honda. When I had the 1800 VTX, it was a different forum and a different group of guys. Some were Ex HD looking for a better bike. The B is what I am looking for. A dependable, comfortable, bad azz looker that has a shop every 15 miles (just in case). You see a ton of Wings-- but I didn't want a wing-- I want a F6B with all of the GOOD stuff of a Wing while at the same time most people can't look at it and tell what it is. So I got something obsecure-- but they are al over. I go to about 5 or 6 rallys a year and do 2 or 3 long 1500 mile weekend trips and a week long adventure. The B is good for that and at the same time is is great to run errands and everything else to total my 10-14,000 miles a year. While I don't ride to impress others, I do like to impress myself. Remember, the cowboy is judged by the horse he rides.

So there you have it. This is what I am today-- but it is different that what I was 15 years ago, which is dirrerent that 40 years ago.

LOVE THE B!

I love motorcycles and I love to ride them. The brand isn't the defining aspect for me. Some guys will only ride a Harley, Ducati, BMW, etc., and define their riding based on the brand of bike they own. I prefer to just ride and appreciate all bikes for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    I love motorcycles and I love to ride them. The brand isn't the defining aspect for me. Some guys will only ride a Harley, Ducati, BMW, etc., and define their riding based on the brand of bike they own. I prefer to just ride and appreciate all bikes for what they are.
    Ditto my friend!

My daughter of 40 years will only drink a Coke--- no Pepsi or anything else. However she will drink any kind of wine that a corkscrew will open. (Gets that after her old man) I just don't get it. A good motorcycle is just that. Those who deprive themselves because of commerical influence or peer pressure are missing out.

One of my favorite sayings---- "Does not matter what letters are on the tank, it is the same wind in your face"

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Ditto my friend!

My daughter of 40 years will only drink a Coke--- no Pepsi or anything else. However she will drink any kind of wine that a corkscrew will open. (Gets that after her old man) I just don't get it. A good motorcycle is just that. Those who deprive themselves because of commerical influence or peer pressure are missing out.

One of my favorite sayings---- "Does not matter what letters are on the tank, it is the same wind in your face"
    I agree a 100%, although it does get my "dander-up" a little when I ride alone and a bunch of HD riders are coming the other way and flip me the "bird" on occasion after I make the biker wave...Oh well, just shows their ignorance and immaturity!!...I have almost stopped wasting my time to wave anymore anyhow.....

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    .I have almost stopped wasting my time to wave anymore anyhow.....
    So it was YOU! It was Victories and not Harley's LOL 😃

http://www.thevog.net/threads/damn-honda-rider.54672/

Been riding for about 50 years and it has changed as I have aged.I started out on dirt bikes at 9 or 10 and learned the basics the hard way.Almost always coming home to a mad Mom because I ruined another jacket during a fall.Once I was a legal driver at 16 I got a Honda 750 four much to the dismay of that same Mom who saw it as a Murdercycle!Had a lot of fun on that bike and went off to college and saw a 75 Goldwing and just had to have it.My buddies called it a Ol man bike but I loved it.I put full Vetter gear on her with a custom seat and bars.Put about 80K on her and fell in love with touring.Over the next 30 years I had many more Wings.The last bieng a 90 1500 with a Bushtec trailer.Crossed this wonderfull country many times and thru Canada.Up untill a year ago I rode a 2005 Yamaha Roadstar-my first V twin.So I did the loud pipes aircooled thing and it kind of fit how I ride now.Mostly alone as the wife does not want to ride anymore Was going to get a Victory Vision but saw The F6B and that was that as I feel this is the best platform I have ever owned.Don't use the riding to socialize much as my other passion RC flying fills that need.Riding now is a reason to explore unseen roads and discover new dives to eat in.It is better and cheaper then Therapy.I really don't care what others ride only that they enjoy what they have.As far as others thoughts on what others ride I have this to say "Opionions are like As****es-everyone has one".Ride safe all

No different that others, just not the same. I feel no need to be like others. enjoy the open wind in my face weather it's in a car or on a bike. Free spirited and adventurous.

Rode lots of big bikes before my "re-entry" into biking a few years back. Friends convinced me to get back in. Much pressure from said friends to "get a Harley". Leaned towards but not stuck on Hondas from previous street riding life, CB550, CB750 etc. Test rode a Harley or 3. Uh, no. Rode VTX {both}, Vulcan, Star, etc all V-twins. Again..no. Sat butt on nice used 1997 Valkyrie Tourer & took short ride. What a bike!!!!!
    Fast forward to F6B life. Got wife into piloting her own bike, found we enjoyed 200-500 mile extended weekend trips to desirable locales on the Valks. Rode the snot out of the Valkyries, of which we had 3 of between the two of us. It just happened that way along with the wife's "starter bike" her 2005 SS750. Brief fling with a Triumph Rocket 3 but even that didn't lure me away from the pull of the flat-6! Aging Valkyries & the burden of keeping & maintaining 4 bikes prompted a move to the only bike short of a GW that is an actual upgrade from a Valkyrie.... the F6B.
    We will do the rally thing but it has mostly lost it's charm with us. However the other aspects like the medium distance getaway rides still appeal greatly to us. We also do lunch rides or "Q's" as they are called on the Florida Board of the VRCC as the friendships made there over the past 8-10 years transcend motorcycling now. We will go to local events like a bike night sponsored by a favorite restaurant like the "Tilted Kilt" occasionally but the bar hopping thing is not us.
    It is fun regardless of the event to pull up on two "B's" amongst a sea of V-twinks, they seem to garner just as many looks & comments as the Valks did.
    '97 Valkyrie Tourer, SOLD!
    '98 Valkyrie Tourer, traded for wife's F6B
    '99 Valkyrie Tourer, traded in on MY NEW F6B!!!!
    '05 Shadow Spirit 750 traded for wife's F6B
    '05 Triumph Rocket 3, gone but not forgotten
    2013 F6B, black standard.
    2013 F6B, red Deluxe for the wife.