typical...so typical - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: typical...so typical

Quote Originally Posted by 3Chief View Post
    somebody should have second checked his job to make sure that bleeder wrench wasn't left and the bleeder was tight...
    And that is why I account for every single one of my tools as I work a specific part of the job. Leaving tools scattered all over the place leads to that kind of a mistake. It's sloppy and unprofessional IMHO. These are mistakes that could be potentially dangerous, especially on two wheels. Don't get me wrong; I'm not perfect by any means and have made more than my share of errors over the years. However, my old-fashion, old-school slow method of working leaves no wrenches, sockets, tools, etc. unaccounted for. Heck, I've even found tools wedged up in bikes from previous service visits to other shops!
    Before my customer's bike is wheeled out of my shop, ALL my tools are accounted for, cleaned and put back in their proper trays. Everything is double-checked and I go over my findings on the bike with my customer before he leaves. I let him know what I found and the seriousness of it. It's his choice when/whether to have it repaired of live with it, but my job is done and my conscience is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob41 View Post
    Techs generally don't make much at all. The dealers/owners charge big hourly rates but the mechanics only get a small part of that. Most people with real skill sets are going to work elsewhere, where they can make more money.

Fortunately, I am one of those people who can work on anything (correctly) on my bikes.
    That's absolutely true hence another reason why the lack of skilled techs. As I stated in an earlier post, I retired as a tech with 21 yrs experience in 2011. At that time my the local dealer I worked at was charging $85 an hour and was paying me $18. That turns out to be around $34k a year gross. Terrible money for a experienced tech but that was just how it is, but it's still no reason for substandard work ethic.

Quote Originally Posted by lgjhn View Post
    And that is why I account for every single one of my tools as I work a specific part of the job. Leaving tools scattered all over the place leads to that kind of a mistake. It's sloppy and unprofessional IMHO. These are mistakes that could be potentially dangerous, especially on two wheels. Don't get me wrong; I'm not perfect by any means and have made more than my share of errors over the years. However, my old-fashion, old-school slow method of working leaves no wrenches, sockets, tools, etc. unaccounted for. Heck, I've even found tools wedged up in bikes from previous service visits to other shops!
    Before my customer's bike is wheeled out of my shop, ALL my tools are accounted for, cleaned and put back in their proper trays. Everything is double-checked and I go over my findings on the bike with my customer before he leaves. I let him know what I found and the seriousness of it. It's his choice when/whether to have it repaired of live with it, but my job is done and my conscience is clear.
    You can work on my bike anytime

Quote Originally Posted by lgjhn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    You can work on my bike anytime
    Hmmm...Kinder, LA is only 390 miles from me....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Hmmm...Kinder, LA is only 390 miles from me....
    I was going to tell this fellow, I bet there's a ton of guys here who would love him as a mechanic.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I was going to tell this fellow, I bet there's a ton of guys here who would love him as a mechanic.
    That's why I loved about what I did and tried to be the best at it. Just like lgjhn that has a great attitude and work ethic, his professionalism will reward him in many ways and will be able to build a great customer base.

I had a wreck on the bike (another story), anyway had the bike taken to the Honda dealer in Toledo, Ohio for repairs. They replaced the front wheel. After repairs they trailered it back to me. While I was healing I decided to purchase a Superbrace and install it. The direction require you to loosen the pinch bolts on the front wheel. I get out a socket and start on the first one. It was so loose no tool was required. Then I checked the rest and actually removed all of them with my fingers. Fricken a$$holes.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisenheimer View Post
    Another case of a baboon working on our bikes. I went in for the brake recall. After as I pull into my driveway I hear a weird ka-ching noise. The next day I pop in at the dealer to ask about going to the dark side. They discourage me. Whatever. Anyway, the tech who did my recall walks out and tells me he thinks he left his bleeder wrench on my rear caliper. (That was the ka-ching) I told him I heard a ka-ching when I got home and would look for the wrench. ( I never found it) The next day after that I see a drip drip under the bike. I find the brake fluid reservoir cap loose and it is dripping brake fluid. Why is it that so many of us have stories like this? Bike techs generally suck. It makes no sense to me.
    They are not Bike Techs, they are parts replacer's. If you go to a dealership that is what you get. Find a good independent mechanic, ask around they are out there that is what I did and he keeps me happy and I'm return customer.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    I had a wreck on the bike (another story), anyway had the bike taken to the Honda dealer in Toledo, Ohio for repairs. They replaced the front wheel. After repairs they trailered it back to me. While I was healing I decided to purchase a Superbrace and install it. The direction require you to loosen the pinch bolts on the front wheel. I get out a socket and start on the first one. It was so loose no tool was required. Then I checked the rest and actually removed all of them with my fingers. Fricken a$$holes.
    Very nearly negligent homicide! So glad you checked them, this oversight is beyond outrageous.

I see these kinds of things all over the place in my place of employment also. I work in a factory making books so that just goes to show its not just the auto industry. It seems that you get what you pay for, and if you dont day for much you wont get great help. But I also agree with opinions on the work ethic and mindset of many new and young employees. The look at what they do as a just a job that they clock in and out and do what they have to do to get by. Where as many of us look at our job as a career and try to learn as much as we can and better ourselves so that we can advance through the levels/ranks/positions so that one day we can have something to show for our time at the job. Seems like everyone wants something for nothing, including a paycheck.