Gravel and Tar

Thread: Gravel and Tar

Gravel and Tar

I was riding the backroads of East TN earlier this week when I happened upon some road construction. Was a two lane road with no turn offs for a few miles. Long story short - there was some kind of issue with the construction and they should have closed the road. The gravel was small, loose and the tar was wet. A real mess. Cant turn around, had to go about a mile before I could get off. Gravel everywhere in the bike.....calipers, under fork brace, and in fan opening to the point it blocked the fan. Called highway department and they confirmed they had a problem and had multiple complaints. Hooked me up with a insurance adjuster. So the front fender is coated with tar inside and out. I cleaned all the gravel out (that I could find). I didnt plan to take it to dealer for estimate. My question is about my claim....what do y'all think is a fair amount to ask?

They may only offer you a take it or leave price. Or the adjuster may give a "ball park" figure.
    ITS ALL GOOD

If there is a dealer near you let him give you an estimate, whatever they give you, hopefully the exact amount, sue them in small claims for the balance. Once they have a verified estimate from a dealer I can't see them giving you less. They have already admitted there was a problem.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    If there is a dealer near you let him give you an estimate, whatever they give you, hopefully the exact amount, sue them in small claims for the balance. Once they have a verified estimate from a dealer I can't see them giving you less. They have already admitted there was a problem.
    This right here.

Yep, that sucks! Once in Wyoming on a rural road where they were doing “chip and seal” they ran out of gravel, so just put down the tar! Avoided much if it but just a mess. I think the construction crew has now been promoted to be the senior people in DOT in DC!!!

I'd think like any insurance claim you'll need documentation of monetary loss, either an adjuster's estimate or a receipt from a shop. If you already cleaned off some of the mess it could be a tough sell unless you have photos.

The biggest mess I ever had to clean was a plastic bag that melted all over the exhaust headers on my Valkyrie. If paint could bond to metal that well nothing would ever rust!