Climbing Grand Father Mountain - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Climbing Grand Father Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I've got a friend who rode up Grandfather Mountain one-handed.
    Not your average rider.....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Maybe the same friend who did the dragon one handed?
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Maybe the same friend who did the dragon one handed?
    ...with cigar....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    ...with cigar....
    BABC...
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Only been up Grandfather MT. once and that was in a car. The road up was very steep and curvy. What I wasn't expecting was that when we got to the top it was VERY windy. Wasn't like that at the bottom. It was actually difficult it walk in the parking lot and the wind rocked my vehicle. Might want to check on this if you can before ascending.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    BABC...
    BBE....SG
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Did it!!

Hi all, dropped in to say I just returned from my Blue Ridge trip...put over 1,940 miles on the bike and along the way starting at Front Royal, VA back to Florida did Grandfather Mt., and it was a thrill. The video posted above did lots for my confidence so I want to thank that contributor. Luckily we arrived at Grandfather Mt., too late on Tuesday last week to go up as the people at the gate recommended that we return first thing the next morning (Wednesday) as many cars were already making their way to the top. We did exactly that, parked by the gate at 8am when they opened and we had the circuit up all to ourselves and I'm glad. Those switchbacks would have been a nervous challenge had cars been ahead of us or coming down. Anyway, went up, took lots of pictures from up there, some really beautiful views, crossed the mile high bridge, went back down again without any sort of car traffic and finished it in one piece!

By the way, another contributor here recommended getting off the Blue Ridge before arriving at Grandfather Mt., and doing road 221. Wow!! We loved it! About 14 miles of twisties, and that Blowing Rock rock sticking out over the roadway! Looks exactly like a rock giant blowing wind, this one a giant boulder sticking out the side of the mountain. Did the 221 twice, once each way, then got back on the BR. Finished the trip at the Dragon, where we spent almost 2 days riding and then returned to Florida. The people in my group want to thank the contributor who recommended in another thread to do 221, so here goes: "Thanks!!!".

By the way, spent 12 hours from Milledgville, GA to Port Charlotte, FL, the last five on grueling I-75 (from Lake City, FL), where the temp hit 97! We were cooking in more ways than one!!