help!!! Full / Modular Helmet on the highway Help!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help!!! Full / Modular Helmet on the highway Help!!!

help!!! Full / Modular Helmet on the highway Help!!!

I have been working my way up to riding my 50 miles each way commute to work only riding in full gear. It is damn tough in the St Louis heat this Summer. It was still 94 degrees on the way home last night and Summer is now over. I have just bought a set of Klim riding gear that is very good for protection, comfort and flowing air. So I have got the jacket, pants, boots and gloves now that I will wear on the highway. The last piece is the full or modular helmet.

I bought a Schuberth C3 Modular Helmet on sale last winter and it is very nice but after and hour I get a little crazy and can not tolerate the full helmet especially in the heat.

I bought a Scorpion 3/4 with a full face shield. It has a lot of turbulence and wind noise that I can only wear it without the face shield or the pull down sun visor. It feels odd after a short time when I wear sunglasses with it.

I bought a Bell Pit Boss and it feels great just like a Harley 1/2 helmet. It may provide a little better protection but I don't really think it is much safer than the Harley 1/2 helmet.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me tolerate the full helmet. I feel like am riding a lot of highway miles and my number could come up so I want to be as safe as possible.

I just love the feeling of the 1/2 helmet with the wind in my face. I feel like the full helmet is taking away from the motorcycle experience. I try to rationalize it in my head saying that I am safer with the 1/2 helmet because it gives me more visibility. This visibility of the road will prevent me from getting in an accident. The most important thing is never to get in an accident in the first place. But we all know that if we do get in an accident most of the time it will not be our fault.

Please help me!!!

Steve

That is an issue a lot of us have. Helmets are a touchy subject that most wont even argue. I wear a half helmet in the hot temps and a full in cooler weather but that's me. My issue with full helmets is a pain that they cause just above my forehead that is killing me after a couple of hours must be my head shape as all healmets cause it. Full helmets need great airflow to keep cool and if you have changed the stock windscreen you limited the airflow. Sorry I don't have a better answer for keeping your cool....
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

The Schuberth has very little if no air flow. I think that is why it is so quiet. It hits me hard in the forehead also.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I have been working my way up to riding my 50 miles each way commute to work only riding in full gear. It is damn tough in the St Louis heat this Summer. It was still 94 degrees on the way home last night and Summer is now over. I have just bought a set of Klim riding gear that is very good for protection, comfort and flowing air. So I have got the jacket, pants, boots and gloves now that I will wear on the highway. The last piece is the full or modular helmet.

I bought a Schuberth C3 Modular Helmet on sale last winter and it is very nice but after and hour I get a little crazy and can not tolerate the full helmet especially in the heat.

I bought a Scorpion 3/4 with a full face shield. It has a lot of turbulence and wind noise that I can only wear it without the face shield or the pull down sun visor. It feels odd after a short time when I wear sunglasses with it.

I bought a Bell Pit Boss and it feels great just like a Harley 1/2 helmet. It may provide a little better protection but I don't really think it is much safer than the Harley 1/2 helmet.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me tolerate the full helmet. I feel like am riding a lot of highway miles and my number could come up so I want to be as safe as possible.

I just love the feeling of the 1/2 helmet with the wind in my face. I feel like the full helmet is taking away from the motorcycle experience. I try to rationalize it in my head saying that I am safer with the 1/2 helmet because it gives me more visibility. This visibility of the road will prevent me from getting in an accident. The most important thing is never to get in an accident in the first place. But we all know that if we do get in an accident most of the time it will not be our fault.

Please help me!!!

Steve
    Open the face shield on the F/F and then use the drop down eye visor or shades if you got them (to protect your eyes)...

White helmets also are seemingly cooler. Dark colors will absorb heat.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

It has been about 10 years since I've researched full faced helmets but when I did, Arai and Shoei had the best air flow / head cooling systems. Shoei was too round for me (didn't fit) so I went with a very expensive Arai ($700 ish if I remember correctly).
    If I'm ever smart enough to wear a full faced helmet again, I'd happily buy another Arai.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Steve this is it.

The helmet I wear and love in the hot summer days is the HJC IS-Cruiser helmet it has a pull down clear windscreen that retracts nicely into the helmet and can be pulled down to divert some of the bugs from hitting your eyes and face.Attachment 23150
    it also comes in 6 different colors. Love this helmet and don't go out in the heat without it. You can get one without spending a fortune in price. I also have a full face HJC and never thought they were not up to the task at hand as they are very well built helmets.

I wear a full-face without the face shield and a windshield that pushes the wind over my head. Pulling down the faceshield makes me feel very closed in.
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

I like these.

Attachment 23170

Video review: https://youtu.be/OCmJt8bc7TI
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

An extremely nice helmet for the money.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...2-helmet-solid
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    I agree Luke. This SHARK will probably be my next helmet but the OP may still not find the turbulence in the 3/4 configuration to his liking.

I ride with a full-face year round in Florida and what you need is air-flow. I use a mid priced ICON Airmada. It has decent size vents plus a little space around the padding for airflow and it is pretty open on the bottom around your neck. Not the quietest ride but air can flow out the same way noise gets in...make sense? I also use a lighter color reflective shell and dark tint face shield (think tinted car windows) to keep from frying in a fish bowl. In fact one of the things that stopped me from purchasing a SHARK was the clear only face shield. It helps to keep the shield cracked open a little too. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images