speaker up grade and sub - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: speaker up grade and sub

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I have ordered a couple of these.
    http://www.amazon.com/Straightline-P...ords=frogzskin
    The Frogzskin allow air to pass but not water. The material is used on some of the speaker lid designs for Harley style bags. I originally was sure that I was going to mount subs in a couple of locations( one location in each bag). There is a recessed area in the bag. On the clutch side bag, this area has the strap for the manual/ tool kit bolted to it. Anyways, the more I've thought about it and listened to the JL micro subs, I figured I try one. I was thinking I may use one of those Frogzskin vents in that area. I have a couple of small penetrations in the top of the bag right now where my wires come in and out. Those are underneath where the seat sits..
    Would like to see that. I was told there is a switch to ground there also that you can tie in some led strip lighting so you can see in the bags at night. Subs on my bike, man.. I just need to find some quick disconnects for the power and cables to make it easily removable. I normally use that room when traveling, but daily commune or weekend rides I could spare the room if the subs hit hard. Could the nvx amp channel 3 and 4 be used to drive the sub? 175w rms bridged.. it takes 150, right? So that would be perfect.

If I read the sub specs right, that is a foot by a foot box, guess it would fit , but how much area would need to be frogskin to allow it to hit? Almost seems like it would be better to have just the sub mounted so the bag wad the box with a tuned port.. Did someone say they were a car audio expert?

4 inch sub

i agree that might be the perfect size I'm sure those frogskins might prove out perfect

i can see trimming the square one to fit and using some industrial velcro or double back tape

seems another idea has sprung up

i like the small digital amp you guys posted

if only there was a way to cut the sub into the side of the bag

maybe amp in the right bag?

sub in the left by the manual

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe187 View Post
    i agree that might be the perfect size I'm sure those frogskins might prove out perfect

i can see trimming the square one to fit and using some industrial velcro or double back tape

Amp can't go where the stock one lived?

if i read it right no
    me i wanted bass and simple
    done deal
    i think jimmietee went above and beyond to do this job
    im not tearing mine down and chance messing it up

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    Amp can't go where the stock one lived?
    Kinda, sorta, NO The OEM is no longer on my bike and the little compartment it was in is now empty. The OEM amp will reside in my garage next to my OEM speakers, handlebars,windshield,seat etc.... I tried putting the amp in there, but while the dimensions are big enough for the amp, when you add the required wiring and RCA connectors , I wasn't happy with it. I'm not sure I could not have found a way to make it fit, but I was not absolutely convinced that was where I wanted it in the first place. I had made a wiring harness with the OEM plug back there. The combined heat shrink and length of wiring I used made for too much cable to fit back there when I went to put everything together, plus the NVX amp had to sit vertically in the little compartment with the RCAs on top. It all looked really good until I tried to put it back together and was having some frustrated words, It just wasn't going to go. I could have ordered some RCA right angle connectors and shortened up the wiring harness I made, but at that point I was done and decided to mount it in the left bag. I know it's safe in there, and I can make adjustments if I like. It really does not take up any room in there. Oh yeah, and the OEM wiring is only good for tapping into the preout signals from the Audio unit. All power and speaker wires are added. The OEM speaker wires are not good for the power of the new amp. I tried ,out of curiosity, no go. Definitely much improved with some decent speaker wore from the amp to the speakers.

The Frogzskins are just vents. They are peel and stick. You can also buy the material for custom work if one wanted. I will only be using them as way to vent the low frequency sound waves from the sub. It is all trial so to speak. Unlike Harleys and such, there aren't a lot of people , at least not on the web, who have done serious upgrades in the Gold Wing audio.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe187 View Post

A 6.5 " sub will fit perfectly in the right side saddlebag. You could also get one in the left bag, but some more work needed in there as the same area in the left side is not flat. Here is a pic of someone who mounted 8" JL audio W3 apekaers.
    Attachment 10561Attachment 10562Attachment 10563

These required some fiberglass work though. I had originally thought of doing the same, but wanted to try out the 6.5" as they are a much easier fit and the one's I've heard from JL Audio and Digital Designs really put out some tremendous bass. I have decided to try out the engineered enclosure with the JL Audio driver first. It will be easily removable. Like how long it take you to open the bag essentially, if I need the space for a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    A 6.5 " sub will fit perfectly in the right side saddlebag. You could also get one in the left bag, but some more work needed in there as the same area in the left side is not flat. Here is a pic of someone who mounted 8" JL audio W3 apekaers.
    Attachment 10561Attachment 10562Attachment 10563

These required some fiberglass work though. I had originally thought of doing the same, but wanted to try out the 6.5" as they are a much easier fit and the one's I've heard from JL Audio and Digital Designs really put out some tremendous bass. I have decided to try out the engineered enclosure with the JL Audio driver first. It will be easily removable. Like how long it take you to open the bag essentially, if I need the space for a trip.

Amazing discussion and information! Jimmytee and smokinjoe187, you both have earned some serious respect for you contributions!

I am chomping at the bit to do this upgrade, but my job is ending and until I know I have my next job started, I can't spend the coin.. even though I will have the free time and it is the perfect downtime.

I wonder if we could find a vendor who would make a kit to make this upgrade possible.. I might research for harness tap parts etc to make this as clean as possible.

smokinjoe, I am thinking based on your experience, pehaps locating the amp near the fairings? then again keeping the rca lines short good..

i'm gonna say at this point Jimmie is way more knowing about the electrical side of this job
    the radio head unit is located under the storage box on top i think,there is space for a small digital amp under the right side pocket,
    a good waterproff location close to the radio and close to the wiring harness and speakers.
    i'm sure they sell amps for car audio with no rca inputs that use the speaker leads
    like i said when i started, i wanted a simple upgrade,no cutting apart the wiring harness.
    i cant wait to see what jimmie comes up with though!!
    and yes thats the great thing about this forum,great people and great info
    here is a thought i used this on my truck its a digtal amp small and might just give it
    lots of punch

Alpine KTP-445A Power Pack
    from crutchfield

Compact upgrade for your Alpine receiver — 45 watts RMS x 4

(100)

In Stock

dimensions: 7-7/8"W x 1-1/2"H x 2-9/16"D
    compact plug-and-play amplifier for Alpine in-dash receivers
    Free Shipping
    $129.99

Add to Cart
    Scratch & Dent: $110.49
    or a 4 channel amp
    small size speaker inputs

Clarion XC1410
    Compact 4-channel amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4
    Item #: 020XC1410

In Stock

63 Reviews | 10 questions - 37 answers

Your price: $129.99
    Earn up to 130 Rewards points
    Add to Cart

I have been considering an audio upgrade for a while, and I am very disappointed to hear that with a bike the size of the F6B, it is so difficult to install a honking aftermarket amp! The rear end is huge, there must be a way to find some space even if some cutting is required. What about going somewhere into the rear wheel well?
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

smokinjoe187
    from crutchfield

Clarion XC1410
    Compact 4-channel amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4
    In Stock
    thalpine has a HD of 1%, so that's a deal killer for me.

Carion signal to nose is 80db, which is low and it is not bridgeable.

check out my earier post on poweramps. either would work well, just not as well