ST1300 rider - Considering the "6"

Thread: ST1300 rider - Considering the "6"

ST1300 rider - Considering the "6"

Hello everyone,
    I've been smitten by the F6B and mostly like the looks of the bike. I commute on my motorcycle for about 8 months a year here in Detroit. I take about 3-4 road trips a year - one up with camping gear. I average about 10000-13000 miles a year. I think this bike will suit my style. I currently ride a ST1300 with Russell seats, heated grips, AudioVox cruise and a top box. I'm 6"1 and can flat foot the ST with the seat at the highest setting.

Going to F6B the things I may miss the most are the adjustable shield and ABS. Is there anyone here that has transitioned out of an ST1300 that can offer their opinion of both these machines?

I sold my 2004 ST to buy the f6b, I like the f6b much better, I am a fairly big guy 5'11 and 300lbs and the f6b is a much better fit . The c.o.g of the f6b is lower, and so is the seat many have gone the Russell daylong route and get a little more height. I do miss the electric adjust windshield , but that's about all I miss, the linked brakes on the six are great. A test ride of an f6b will tell you a lot, it sold me.

I went from a 2006 ST to the F6B last year. I kept my ST and found that I wasn't riding it any more, so I sold it about a month ago. The F6B uses regular fuel, but gets less mileage, so fuel cost is about the same. However, I do miss the fuel range of the ST. While the F6B has a great motor and awesome mid range power, it is not as fast as the ST. You will notice the additional weight of the F6B when you are backing up the bike with your feet. You will not notice the extra weight when riding and you will appreciate the smoothness. You will miss the cruise control that you have on your current bike. Electronic cruise control can be installed on the F6B, but it is a job, as I've done it. You will also miss your Russell seat. The stock seat on the F6B is one of the best "stock" seats you will find on a m/c, but upgrading to one of the aftermarket seats is worth the price.

I went from 2005 ST to F6B no regrets for me. The ST was a good bike the F6 is a brilliant bike. Mine is still standard other than passenger back rest and centre stand, the only thing I am going to add is a taller screen.

Quote Originally Posted by BARRYS770 View Post
    I went from a 2006 ST to the F6B last year. I kept my ST and found that I wasn't riding it any more, so I sold it about a month ago.
    OMG!!

I forgot to ride my ST!
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

ST1300

I currently have both bikes in my garage a 2010 ST 1300 and my F6B. I honestly love how the F6B handles more. Yes the ST is a great machine but I enjoy the smoothness and the power of the F6B more and seem to want to ride it more often then the ST. You will not be disappointed going to the F6B one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by myob View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I've been smitten by the F6B and mostly like the looks of the bike. I commute on my motorcycle for about 8 months a year here in Detroit. I take about 3-4 road trips a year - one up with camping gear. I average about 10000-13000 miles a year. I think this bike will suit my style. I currently ride a ST1300 with Russell seats, heated grips, AudioVox cruise and a top box. I'm 6"1 and can flat foot the ST with the seat at the highest setting.

Going to F6B the things I may miss the most are the adjustable shield and ABS. Is there anyone here that has transitioned out of an ST1300 that can offer their opinion of both these machines?
    just my 2 cents...

while most of the feedback you get from the F6B community will be positive I will play the part of devils advocate since I too came from an ST1300.

Considerations
    1. Weight - it sounds like the use for your bike is primarily commuting? The F6B is heavier and harder to maneuver (also, longer wheelbase) in tight spaces/parking/traffic etc.
    2. Helmet Storage - Can't fit a full face helmet in the saddlebags. My ST could fit my Arai full face with no issues - my F6B cannot.
    3. Comfort - no doubt that the F6B has plenty of room and is comfy but I would argue that for us taller riders, I'm 6'2" the STs riding position and adjustable windscreen is more suited for tall riders in stock form.
    4. Speaking of windscreen, as you'll probably read that is easily the most complained about part on this bike. I've ridden bikes w/ and w/o full fairings, windscreens, shield, etc. and this bike has a fixed windscreen that in stock form doesn't offer much for wind protection.

All that said, aftermarket parts make some of these pain points fixable but at your expense. I absolutely love my F6B and consider it one of the nicest bikes I've ever ridden. Luckily for you the F6B are not making as big of a splash on the bagger market as Honda would have liked so they can be picked up well below MSRP, so if you do your due diligence you can pick one up at a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnetonkaMike View Post
    just my 2 cents...

Considerations
    1. Weight - it sounds like the use for your bike is primarily commuting? The F6B is heavier and harder to maneuver (also, longer wheelbase) in tight spaces/parking/traffic etc.
    2. Helmet Storage - Can't fit a full face helmet in the saddlebags. My ST could fit my Arai full face with no issues - my F6B cannot.
    3. Comfort - no doubt that the F6B has plenty of room and is comfy but I would argue that for us taller riders, I'm 6'2" the STs riding position and adjustable windscreen is more suited for tall riders in stock form.
    4. Speaking of windscreen, as you'll probably read that is easily the most complained about part on this bike. I've ridden bikes w/ and w/o full fairings, windscreens, shield, etc. and this bike has a fixed windscreen that in stock form doesn't offer much for wind protection.
    All good points.

I am 6'3 and I originally bought my ST1300 because I could close my eyes and my hands would just naturally fall on the grips, with a slight lean forward. The F6B sits me pretty much upright, which I don't care for, but if I bend my arms I can lean forward a little.

There are adjustable windscreens available for the bike but not electric.

I upgraded the suspension on my ST front and rear so it handles great. I suspect I'll have to do that on the F6B at around 8K-10K miles...

The ST does look more sporty and athletic than the F6. I would describe the F6 look as 'majestic'. However, the F6 will get up and go if you need it to...no trouble passing anything.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

If it is an option I would keep them both. Both are great bikes.