Don't do this to your bike
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't do this to your bike

Don't do this to your bike

I've done one or two dumb things in my years motorcycling, but this one deserves a really big candle on the cupcake in celebration. In an effort to protect my really bad factory paint and after spending everyday for a week waxing the bike into gleaming perfection, I added 3M's plastic body panel paint protection sold by Tankslappers for the bike. Thank you Wingstuff for distributing a truly inferior product, one that gives the bike an obvious dull, rough orange peel finish, with numerous surface imperfections and roller marks already in the material. Worse yet, the diagram showing the product greatly exaggerates how much is being covered and where. Key areas are not addressed by this product. The finish is so crude it makes the bike look really 3rd rate. Sure it may protect the paint but from what? In this case the cure is worse than the disease and it wasn't cheap to have professionally installed. There are better products out there, learn from my mistake and don't buy 3M body panel paint protection. You will hate it as much as me.
    ss^,
    Ken

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

I appreciate everyones feedback and want to hear it all, but if you have a problem please try resolving it through the proper channels, no need to throw a innocent vendor under the bus simply because you didn't like a product that many others do like.

I'm not here to protect vendors but also don't like vendors being dragged through the mud un-deservingly. They don't manufacture the product, they sell as many accessories as there are individual preferences. Not everyone buys their accessories. I have seen GoldWings that look like rolling Christmas Trees with all of the WingStuff lights added on to the bikes, just not for me nor do I blame Wingstuff for someone else's perception of what is "cool" or acceptable in their eyes. I ask ... WHAT did 3M customer service say when you called them and explained your dissatisfaction of their product? Did they offer to replace or offer another solution? Maybe 3M Clear Bra? Could it have been a bad batch? What did WingStuff say when you called them, did they offer another product?

Regarding the dull finish, I also like glossy paint and lots of chrome on my bikes, it's my preference. We have a member on here that had his entire bike painted in a Matte finish. Honda of Russellville has a Matte finish F6B for sale right now with a blacked out windshield to give it a more sinister look. Maybe the 3M product is formulated for those that do not want a glossy finish.

I have purchased the Plasti Dip CLEAR Glossifier paint protection product based on the recommendations of fellow members, it comes in Matte or Glossy and goes on clear plus it's removable. The first application was not up to my liking, I wanted it it to be glossier. Not going to knock the individuals that are satisfied with this product nor the vendor that sold it to me. I will use it on fender leading edges or where you can't see it.

Our vendors do work to resolve issues that our members encounter with products that they sell, If I were Wingstuff and read your post, I would have no incentive to take care of you. Knowing WingStuff and their customer service policies ... if you haven't already done so .... Give them a call, they might still try to help you.

I am a little confused, where did you purchase the product? ....
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdl2051 View Post
    I added 3M's plastic body panel paint protection sold by Tankslappers for the bike.
    Please report back with the fix.

Let's ride

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Sounds like a real crappy installation job to me. I've never done 'paint' film but have done some vehicle lettering/graphic apps,,, semi-sorta the same concept,,,

Heads up with the Liquid Glass! I had a body shop owner and Gl1800 rider advise me that the Liquid Glass will spider web with age. Just passing info along.
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

shooter
    I'm not saying you are wrong. Obviously it looks bad or you wouldn't complain. I have been in the Paint, Body and Auto Repair business for over 40 years. I haven't seen too many inferior 3M products in that time. I have seen some poor applications of their product. I haven't tried this specific product. We use 3M chipguard for OE applications on many different makes and models of automobiles.

3m paint protectant

I have this product on a 1800 Goldwing trike one year old
    over 14000 miles looks great it is on full length of running
    boards and fenders, lower cowl and side of tank.

Thanks for the heads up!

@fxdl2051

Thanks for sharing that information. At the very least it illustrates that potential problems can arise with products purchased for our machines. Whether its in the application, installation or a flat out inferior product. Buyer Beware.
    Sorry to hear about your problems.

@shooter
    Most likely a bad execution of 3m product by the aforementioned manufacturer?

I also use the 3M product, can't even see it on my bike unless you look real hard at the edges.

Sounds like a problem with the application as opposed to the product. Hope you get it straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Heads up with the Liquid Glass! I had a body shop owner and Gl1800 rider advise me that the Liquid Glass will spider web with age. Just passing info along.
    Did he offer any suggestions as to what to use in place of LG? What are you using?

I just started the building process w/ the 1st coat. Plus I'm applying it to the fetching Mrs. SmallPastures spyder and don't want to fix a fix down the road.
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono