First long ride and mileage is really impressive for new bike! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First long ride and mileage is really impressive for new bike!

A 1000 mile trip, at 40 mpg, uses 25 gallons of fuel. the same trip at 42 mpg, uses 23.8 gallons. A whopping difference of 1.2 gallons, or about $3. Not a big deal for 1000 miles. Different fuel types and terrain will vary milage, as well as driving styles. But, none of us bought these bikes worrying about a couple mpg. Just ride and enjoy!

Reminds me of a time in the Air Force when one of our civilian employees purchasd a nice 89 Silverado full custom V8. Couple of guys at work had a 5 gallon jug stashed in one of their cars and would add gas every other day or so. This poor guy thought he had one of the wonder engines from GM. He was getting 30+ mpg. That went on for about a month and half when they quit the joke. The sap took his truck in to the dealer complaining of a sudden loss in MPG's. One of the better practical jokes I have been witness of.

I also find it a bit of a stretch to get one of these 1800's pushing the 50 MPG barrier when the poll clearly has a rash in the 40 arena. Give it a few more tanks and verify the odo on a highway or with a GPS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

shooter
    Wife and I rode 207 miles yesterday fairly spirited which is the best I will do with her on. She never says anything about how I ride. In fact she likes it when I crank it up. I'm more conservative with her on. I feel I have an obligation to her two kids to take good care of her. We used 4.94 gallons for an average of 41.9 mpg. That was pretty good for me. We had about a 60 mile section of some of the curviest roads you will ride on.

That's good mileage. How much do you equate to the lower temps we are having in the center part of the country right now? We did a hundred today and I didn't fill up but the bike definitely loves a nip in the air. Where as I like a nip by the pool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

shooter
    Stro , I check mileage often , mostly as a diagnostic tool. I've picked up a mile or two per gallon in the last year. All Mobil 1 fluids and installation of the Vance and Hines pipes. I always run Shell Premium. I'm not a small guy 6'1" and 290. Wife is not petite. But where I used to get 39 I'm now getting 41 or so. I wouldn't care if I got 25. Its just a bonus getting the good mileage. When I'm on trips with my HD buddies I can wear them boys out on stretching a tank. I still had a gallon and a half after that 207 miles. I do enjoy the mileage. And Stro , you're right. The cooler temps do help. You make a little more power too. Rode to eat tonight. About a hundred miles round trip. On the way back on a secondary road , following an 18 wheeler , caught a short straight stretch and told wifey to hang on. Downshifted to 3rd at about 60 and dropped the hammer. Shay- Shay almost stood up and wifeys boots were up around my ears. Wrapped it out to 6 grand and hit 4th just as I passed the truck. Wife was laughing her azz off. That girl loves to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    dropped the hammer. Shay- Shay almost stood up and wifeys boots were up around my ears. Wrapped it out to 6 grand and hit 4th just as I passed the truck. Wife was laughing her azz off. That girl loves to fly.
    I don't think you two are riding correctly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

shooter
    Stro , its me. You know I'm a little kinky.

Wing'n it - most of us have seen an increase in mileage around 8-10k.

It's good to monitor MPG and it's great that the F6b is somewhere between 35-45, but would you ride another if it was less?

I don't think so!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Valk I think you're mileage is normal. My mpg mirrors yours. The worst I've gotten is 36 and that was on a 4:30 am jaunt at 100 mph. Didn't take long to go 150 miles. My best solo has been 44. Really slow pace. I'm generally around that 40 mark. Some of these guys are exceptional. I saw a post of 56 mpg. I don't call people liars. I do question their accuracy. Even 50 mpg on any kind of trip is questionable. I'm not trying to be confrontational but I would like to ride with these guys and see for myself the process if the fill-up and the mileage counting. I believe that they really are coming up with these figures but I question the process. If you look at the MPG sticky it bears out my questions.
    I appreciate that you’re not calling me a liar. It does appear, however, that you are calling me an idiot. As if I don’t know how to fill my tank, record mileage, or reset the trip odometer.

You are welcome to meet me in Springerville, AZ the first weekend of October and watch as I pull up to the pump, turn the bike off, put the bike on it’s sidestand, remove my gloves, unlock the gas cover, unscrew the gas cap and set it in the top right corner of the tank cavity, insert my credit card into the pump, remove my credit card from the pump, remove the pump handle, select 86 octane or above, insert the pump nozzle into the filler tube, squeeze the handle, release the handle when the gas reaches the bottom of the filler tube, check to make sure that gas is at the bottom of the filler tube, squeeze in a little more if necessary, replace the gas cap, close the gas cover, pull out my phone, select the calculator app, divide the mileage on Trip A by the amount of gas pumped--thus obtaining mpg for that tank of gas, open the Notes app, enter the mileage and mpg into the Notes app, reset Trip A, put my gloves back on, swing the sidestand up, start the bike, and pull away from the pump. Or, hey, for that matter, meet me here in Lubbock (where I get between 36mpg and 38mpg) and watch me fill up any time.

The list below is the mpg and mileage for a trip I took in June 2014. Lubbock, TX, to Glenwood Springs, CO to Ouray, CO via Independence Pass and Twin Lakes, CO. Ouray, CO, through Telluride, CO, to Durango, CO, to Lubbock, TX. 1,817 miles total with an average of 47mpg. I’ll stand behind these numbers all day long.

41.37, 206.1
    41.9, 229.5
    47.2, 141.5
    53.13, 122.2
    45.9, 193.7
    48, 116.2
    48.3, 174
    51.53, 205.1
    51.43, 196.5
    41.67, 232.5

shooter
    OK , do you say you get between 36 to 38 in Lubbock but I think you are saying that at altitude you get a lot better. Maybe up to 50 mpg. I can maybe believe that. The O/2 sensor adjusts for the thinner air and therefore leans out the mixture to compensate. So are you making less power also? I've never been out west with the bike. And I don't recall questioning you about your mileage. I guestioned the guy that got 56 mpg from Ohio to Tennessee and back. I don't recall any mile high mountainous regions in those areas. 36 in Lubbock and 53 in Colorado is a big spread. I never noticed my fuel mileage increasing out west. Usually takes more throttle to make the same power. Basically negates the thin air thing. You're bike is obviously exceptional at times.