Possible owner with a few question - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Possible owner with a few question

All great information guys really appreciate the feedback! I hear you on the SG being old news and everyone having one. There are HD best selling bike now and they are a dime a dozen here in Dallas. That was another plus on the Spyder, not something you see at every other stop light! You mention maintenance on the F6B being a selling point so what are the major mileage maintenance point for this bike and what's the average cost for those in a year for someone that rides say 10k?

Quote Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
    First to your questions.
    Not sure if Honda will ever add ABS to this bike, possible but I don't think so as this is a sport version.
    Argh, sore point... other markets (even Canada!) have ABS so they actually had to go to the effort of *not* offering it in the U.S.. Probably because the base Goldwing doesn't have ABS would be my guess.

It's just nuts to me though. They are offering ABS on their budget bikes... this sucker is $20K, no reason it shouldn't have ABS at least as an option (like part of the Deluxe package). Grrrr...

I came from a Canam Spyder 2010 RS-S. I love the F6B and will probably be in my garage for a long time.I had the usual HD motorcycles before the Spyder and the F6B is better then all of them.The Spyder is safer with 3 wheels and very fun to ride but I missed the leaning and was sick and tired of that dam limp mode
    Ride it like you stole it

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I've never had ABS on a bike before. The old VTX 1800 had linked brakes. I liked 'em then, and I like 'em now.

I gotta get used to the quiet / no vibe ride of this bike,,, Almost fell asleep the other day!!

For me the linked brakes are great. Pull front get 66% frt 33% rear not sure where the other 1% goes. Trail brake into a corner (unless you are Big Dawg) 66% rear 33% front. Anyway it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Webo View Post
    You mention maintenance on the F6B being a selling point so what are the major mileage maintenance point for this bike and what's the average cost for those in a year for someone that rides say 10k?
    From the manual:
    4 qts 10w-30 or 10w-40 oil and filter every 8k.
    Air filter is buried under a lot of Tupperware. Some say 'hours' to remove/replace. 12k intervals but many go farther and/or go K+N and 'forget' about for extended periods of time.
    Plugs 16k
    4 ounces of final drive oil replaced every 24k
    Check valve clearance 32k

Couldn't tell ya how much $. I do all my own.

Maintenance

I use Valvoline Premium Blue 15-40 in my 302 Bronco, my wife's 3.5L Sebring and my F6B. Bosch 3323 filter is longer for better filtration. Mileage intervals are owners choice, but I would NEVER go 8K with an engine I wanted to keep.
    It's a 300,000 mile motor if it's maintained.
    Ride it like you stole it, service it and keep it going long after the Harley turns to rust and recycles itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Webo View Post
    Well,as the title says I am looking at a new bike and right now it's between the F6B or the 2014 Street Glide with NAV. Right now I'm riding a Can Am RS-S and just miss the leaning in the corners. My bike before the RSS was a 07 Street Glide and while I really like HD I'm not married to them, hence the Can Am. Most of the people I ride with have HD's but at this point I'm looking at comfort, power, and fun factor. At the same time safety is important and that's why I bought the Can Am. It appears the F6B is not offered with ABS but I believe the brakes are linked to some degree. Is this true and do you think they will offer a F6B with ABS? And second I was wondering how the radio sounded with a larger windshield? Thanks for the info and I will continue to lurk around trying to gather as much info as possible.

Here is a pic I had of the RSS on the iPad from this years Bikes, Blues, and BBQ rally on the Pig Trail.
    Attachment 2505
    I have a 2009 H-D Fat Bob CVO 110 CU and a 2009 H-D Ultra 103 CU with about $5K in engine work to bump it to a 103 with Hi comp heads and a speedy cam.... I just bought my F6B, and I mean JUST bought it !!! I had to wait three hours at the dealership for them to finish putting it together before I rode it from Md to S.C. for the Myrtle Beach rally !!! Let me tell you... I FREAKIN' LOVE THIS BIKE !!!! It corners as good as my Fat Bob, Carries more than my Ultra, is faster / quieter / smoother than either of them and is an all around great bike (in my 40+ years of riding I've owned all the Japanese bikes as well as my H-D's)... It has taken it's place in my stable, and if I have to release one of the bikes for room's sake, it will NOT be the F6B !!!

US F6B's do not have ABS. Unless someone has input from US Honda we can only speculate whether mother Honda will release a 2014 F6B with ABS or cruise control. If they do expect the non ABS and cc versions to tank in resale. I had an email from a guy who bought his F6B Deluxe at roughly $4000 off retail so there are deals to be had that save a lot of money versus the $23,000 Street Glide.

Comfort is subjective. Take the longest test ride you can on both bikes.
    Stock the F6B is a faster bike. It pulls like a freight train. That may be important now, but how about in a year or two?
    All bikes are fun.
    Brakes are linked on the F6B. They take some getting used to especially in low speed maneuvers when you drag your back brake. I've gotten used to them though.
    I've bought two windshield and I still need a bigger one. For me the radio suck. Very little bass makes it to my ears. This is my first bike with a radio though, maybe it's just the nature of the beast.

Good luck with whatever you buy. If I had it to do over again I would have bought the Road Glide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoon64 View Post
    if I had it to do over again I would have bought the Road Glide.
    2013, or wait for the 15? The Rushmore improvements are many. If I was determined to go with an RG, I'd wait for the 2015.

YMMV!