First screw job - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: First screw job

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    Its totally up to you but I have stated in the past that if I get a nail or a screw in the tire I will plug it long enough to get to a place to replace that tire immediately. You only have one life and two tires keeping that life safe, I agree with anyone that says to replace that tire as soon as you can. Your life is worth more than the money spent on a new tire. JMHO
    Right now Wing Stuff has a sale on the Bridgestones I believe its 299.00 a set, plus a 50.00 rebate. It runs until the end of June.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoggie501 View Post
    Right now Wing Stuff has a sale on the Bridgestones I believe its 299.00 a set, plus a 50.00 rebate. It runs until the end of June.
    Made that purchase already. The tires are sitting behind me right now. I still want some spares. Saving them to use as a set later.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

140 mile ride last night to Woods Hole, MA and back. 2/3 highway at 70 mph average speed, no issues. Will check psi tonight before I ride.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    140 mile ride last night to Woods Hole, MA and back. 2/3 highway at 70 mph average speed, no issues. Will check psi tonight before I ride.
    Ambient temperature swings can influence variances of cold tire pressure and provide you with a false negative regarding the integrity of the tire plug. Use soapy water instead on your tire plug to check for signs of an air leak.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

It's sitting since last night, so I'll know if it lost anything. That's a reason I didn't check last night. I'll know in a few more hours.

Havent had this happen on mine ,but did pick up a shard of metal from the striping machines that rip off the layer of asphalt for resurfacing.
    Brand new Dunlop rear on my Hurricane.
    Both my dealer and a couple friends advised to just repair it and ride it out and I trust them.Thing is for me,I ride too far, too fast and alone most of the time and just was not comfortable with a plugged tire so I replaced it.
    I'm not made of money and arguably cant afford that but I wasn't comfortable.
    I know enough about physics to understand that the integrity of the tire was compromised but to what extent I dont know. I have and will use the little compressor and plugs to get me home or the nearest replacement point, but the tire is toast.Probably my dealer mechanics took it and used it. Fine with me I dont want to take the chance...
    To each his own !

Checked the plug and rode again last night. It was down .5 psi, but it wasn't from the plug. I assume it's from all the pressure checking. The plug is firm and not leaking so far. I hope to get the take offs next week, and will replace it before we have the next meet in PA. For now, I'm riding. Our weather is perfect and I'm not missing out. The season is too short here to blow a week or so. It's in the back of my mind and I am taking it as easy as I can. No high speed runs down the highway. I've touched 80, but am keeping it between 65-70. On back roads, I don't really think about it.

I've been thinking how this could happen any time. I have the meet to ride to in September and I'm not going to run scared. I'll have brand new tires on and if I'm afraid of a flat and a plug, I might as well not go.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Checked the plug and rode again last night. It was down .5 psi, but it wasn't from the plug. I assume it's from all the pressure checking. The plug is firm and not leaking so far. I hope to get the take offs next week, and will replace it before we have the next meet in PA. For now, I'm riding. Our weather is perfect and I'm not missing out. The season is too short here to blow a week or so. It's in the back of my mind and I am taking it as easy as I can. No high speed runs down the highway. I've touched 80, but am keeping it between 65-70. On back roads, I don't really think about it.

I've been thinking how this could happen any time. I have the meet to ride to in September and I'm not going to run scared. I'll have brand new tires on and if I'm afraid of a flat and a plug, I might as well not go.
    What happens when you get another screw in that rear tire again, after you replace it?

If that plug is holding; it is going to continue to hold.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    What happens when you get another screw in that rear tire again, after you replace it?

If that plug is holding; it is going to continue to hold.
    That's my point when I added my second comment....can't worry too much about it...but I am getting two take-offs.

shooter
    I'm gonna have Duke carry my spare for me to the rally.