First accessory for the new bike. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First accessory for the new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertBasil View Post
    So under the left cubby hole is a plug that I can plug a cigarette lighter plug into and then use an adapter to turn the cigarette plug into a USB port?

Anyone have any photos of under the cubby and a links to the cigarette lighter plug to attach to it?
    The cig lighter adapter is available from a few vendors. below is a link to Wingstuffs offering:

http://wingstuff.com/products/3622-f...ket-for-gl1800

Pop the 4 pins, rip off the side trim, and the cubby pops out. You will find the connector sitting there all lonely and the plug on the cig adapter plugs right in. On the inside front angled side of the cubby is an X (or some other mark, I can't exactly remember). Drill the hole there (I think its a 7/8" hole). Mount the cig adapter and you now have power in your cubby.

What i was suggesting above was to patch in to the connection at the cig adapter and power a small USB unit in parallel at the cig adapter. That would avoid tying up the cubby and drilling a chase for the wire to run to power the handlebar mounted phone. Either way works fine. Enjoy.
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

Now I understand. Thanks!

Just ordered the adapter. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertBasil View Post
    Not much of an accessory, but it's my first. Now I just have to figure out the best way to get a USB connection in the front cubby. Coming from a sportbike background I have no clue how to add electronics to the bike. Any easy step by step instructions / parts?

Are you wanting to install the USB port in the cubby so you can power your handle-bar mounted phone? There may be better options...

You can buy a USB pigtail, zip-tie to your handlebar, then connect back to the battery, or preferably to a switched terminal connection of a fuse-block, such as a PC-8 or comparable.

You might also consider the option of mounting all your accessories on a farkle shelf and getting them off your handlebars...
    2015 F6B deluxe matte silver
    2012 GL1800 level 3 pearl white
    2010 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    2001 GL1800 level 1 hot rod yellow
    VTX 1800
    VTX 1300

Tennessee Traveler #2

IBA member #48367
    SS 1,000 9/5/11
    BBG 1,500 3/16/13
    SS 2,000 3/16/13
    CC50 3/16/13