My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade

Thread: My adventures in F6B Audio Upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    No problem. will have to upload pictures to photobucket to put them on here though. Just let me know when you get to that point.
    When you get a chance , can I get what 4 wires I need to tap into for the PAC, and did you also hook up the mute function? Wanted to at least get that sorted out before taping- securing that bulky wiring harness. I don't have a workshop manual, awhile back dealer did not have and said would take awhile to get one- I haven't tryed lately. Thanks again.

I just might actually get this thing done soon, funny how work and family functions get in the way getting her done LOL.
    2015 Matte Silver F6B (Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Copper Red (Wife's Current Bike)
    2011 Yamaha Stryker Impact Blue (Traded in for F6B)
    1997 Yamaha YZF 1000 (1997-2015 - sold recently)
    1995 Yamaha YZF 600 (1995-1997)
    1984 Yamaha FJ 600 (1984-1993)
    1981 Suzuki GS 450 E (1983-1984)

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tater View Post
    When you get a chance , can I get what 4 wires I need to tap into for the PAC, and did you also hook up the mute function? Wanted to at least get that sorted out before taping- securing that bulky wiring harness. I don't have a workshop manual, awhile back dealer did not have and said would take awhile to get one- I haven't tryed lately. Thanks again.

I just might actually get this thing done soon, funny how work and family functions get in the way getting her done LOL.
    There are 2) 24 pin gray plugs that plug into the "Audio Unit " . The main box that sits inside the black box under the seat.
    We're only dealing with one of those plugs.

One of the plugs has a white latch ,that one is not our concern.
    You're looking for 4 wires on that plug. I cut them a couple inches back from the plug. If,for whatever reason, you wanted to reconnect them, a simple splice would repair it.

Basically a yellow, white,black and brown wires
    I don't know how well this picture will come out ,but this is a pic of the schematic /wiring diagram.

I wired /soldered a resistor to each wire. I then paired the other side of those resistors down to 2 wires.

I used an online resistance calculator for the values. It's on this site. http://pac-audio.com/support.aspx

Basically the yellow and white wires each have a resistor soldered to them , then the other side of those resistors are put together to be soldered to the white wire of the PAC unit. The black and brown wires are the same, but they go to the black wire of the PAC unit which is actually ground or negative. The PAC has a black wire that comes out and has two black wires attached to it, One of those goes to negative or ground and the other you'll use to attach to the brown and black wired resistors. The white wire from the PAC unit actually has three white wires. I used the one with no stripe, The others are fine, they just add resistors.
    It might sound more complicated than it is, but it really is pretty simple. I had to identify which wires were what using a multi-meter and the wiring diagram,

I found out that to get the Rockford unit working, I had to set the PAC unit for "Clarion" Had to call tech support for that.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Wow and thanks again. I will give it a try this weekend.

I come from the Sport Bike World. The things I used to blow by, I now cruise by and enjoy......

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Tater View Post
    Wow and thanks again. I will give it a try this weekend.
    No problem. I forgot to mention that I did not concern myself with the Mute function. This would have to be done outside of the PAC steering wheel adapter for a couple reasons.

One, the handlebar "Mute" button is not a momentary switch. I don't know if it were to be dissected, if it could be converted, but could just be Pandora's box to put it all back together.

Two, there isn't a Mute function to program into the PAC unit for the 8BB under the Clarion program list.

Now the way you could utilize the Mute button would be to interrupt the amplifier trigger signal that turns on the amplifier thus turning off the amp with the Mute button. This would in effect, mute the audio. According to the wiring diagram, though, the wiring for the mut button goes through a different wiring harness and terminates somewhere else. So one would have to either go to the switch, or find where the wires terminate at to wire them up. If the wires had terminated in the same bundle as the other wires, I would have gone the route of wiring up as I mentioned. As it is, it wasn't that important to me.

Finally got some time yesterday to get back on this. Ran into problem bundled the harness and connections forward of the audio box, but I have the stock seat and have no room in between the bottom of the seat and upper rear fender. Just removed the stock audio box completely and turned 888b unit the connections facing to left side of the bike, allowing the factory wiring to come more to the rear. I see that you have a Corbin seat and I know another person was able to put a couple of small amps under there with a mustang seat, no way with the stock seat. Also haven't got the PAC yet, been reading up on the instructions with them and also with yours also. The big ??is which resistors did you put with those wires - and were they the ones supplied with the PAC unit? I'm good more with plug and play and fabrication, but when it comes to figuring that out is above myself even with your detailed instructions. That's my update so far and again thanks.

I actually test fitted mine with the OEM seat as my Corbin was at the upholstery shop at the time. I did end up squeezing almost all the RCA connectors back into the box because there was not enough room for the seat otherwise like you said. But I got it to fit.
    Yes the resistors come with the PAC unit. I think there should be a link to the online resistance calculator that is helpful in determining which resistor combinations work best. When you get it I can do my best to help you from this side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I actually test fitted mine with the OEM seat as my Corbin was at the upholstery shop at the time. I did end up squeezing almost all the RCA connectors back into the box because there was not enough room for the seat otherwise like you said. But I got it to fit.
    Yes the resistors come with the PAC unit. I think there should be a link to the online resistance calculator that is helpful in determining which resistor combinations work best. When you get it I can do my best to help you from this side of things.
    That's the only thing I don't like about 888b, I wish that the connections were like amps and plugged into the unit instead. I may try to push and shove wires back in, it was getting late working on it last night and me getting stupid (LOL).