TIRES TIRES TIRES - Page 9
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: TIRES TIRES TIRES

Boss Hoss has had CT's for years. That's the first bike I rode with one back in the mid 90s.

Attachment 8555

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Or maybe Trailblazers , Innovators , Forward Thinkers or hell , Risk Takers. If it wasn't for people like this we would still be riding horses and fighting Indians. Don't be afraid of something new. It's a principle this country was founded on.
    Personally, the DS is nothing new to me, or to MC's either. I've been there, done that, years ago,,, not going back.

This is not some 'new frontier' either. No one needs to feel like they are Columbus, a Viking, a Cowboy in the Wild West, a 'Pioneer in the field' or anything remotely close to 'an explorer' by slapping a CT on their 6. CT's on MC's have been around since the start, and the evolved tire / motorcycle technology of today is exactly why we don't equip ALL MC's with 'car tires' anymore.

The thought of 'trying something different' for yourself will always be there. The emotion of 'getting one over on the system' has it's pull, but the 'rationalization' used for CT's on MC's is, like it or not, 100% limited to 'armchair experts'. There is NO support for CT use by anyone involved in Tire or mass produced MC manufacturing. (If it wasn't for having 2 wheels, the Boss Hoss wouldn't be considered a motorcycle, and it's not what most would consider as a 'mass produced' bike either)

But, hey, if it makes ya feel good, what can I say? You can equip your bike as you please.

I actually saw an old Valk with a CT on the way home yesterday,,, Kinda got a chuckle out of it! He's happy, I'm tickled, and life goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Remember some of the custom bike makers? Big Dog comes to mind. Some of the so called fat "motorcycle" tires they put on these bikes looked like they belonged on a Mack truck. I rode a former neighbors bike and couldn't turn the thing. url]
    Yep, and those big fat rear MC tires affect the geometry of a bike in the corners much the same way as a CT does.

Once you wrap your mind around 'why' the bike handles different with a CT, the changes in geometry, the under-steer it creates, eh, well they don't look so 'appealing' after all. Of course, if you drive in a straight line most of the time, you'll might not mind the trade-off.

Draggin pegs more, wearing out front tires quicker than before,,,, Some say this is '100% proof' they are going faster,,,

Uh, if you REALLY think that's the 'cause/effect', more power to ya!!!.

I've said it 100 times, I never knew how much I missed a MT till I went back to one.

I really don't care about the cost/mileage. (Over $1200 for 4 tires on my RAM that should last 60k+,,, About the same as 2 tires totaling $320 lasting for ~15k~)

I understand the difference in sidewall/tire construction, and why the cushy ride isn't there, but that same difference provides a 'surgical precision' in cornering that can't be beat.

But hey,,, everyone can equip their bike as they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Personally, the DS is nothing new to me, or to MC's either. I've been there, done that, years ago,,, not going back.

This is not some 'new frontier' either. No one needs to feel like they are Columbus, a Viking, a Cowboy in the Wild West, a 'Pioneer in the field' or anything remotely close to 'an explorer' by slapping a CT on their 6. CT's on MC's have been around since the start, and the evolved tire / motorcycle technology of today is exactly why we don't equip ALL MC's with 'car tires' anymore.

The thought of 'trying something different' for yourself will always be there. The emotion of 'getting one over on the system' has it's pull, but the 'rationalization' used for CT's on MC's is, like it or not, 100% limited to 'armchair experts'. There is NO support for CT use by anyone involved in Tire or mass produced MC manufacturing. (If it wasn't for having 2 wheels, the Boss Hoss wouldn't be considered a motorcycle, and it's not what most would consider as a 'mass produced' bike either)

But, hey, if it makes ya feel good, what can I say? You can equip your bike as you please.

I actually saw an old Valk with a CT on the way home yesterday,,, Kinda got a chuckle out of it! He's happy, I'm tickled, and life goes on!
    Could you be kind enough to embellish a bit more on "Armchair Experts".

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    Could you be kind enough to embellish a bit more on "Armchair Experts".
    Folks who do not design M/C tires or Car tires for a living would be a good start.

Anybody here work for a MC tire manufacturer as a Designer, an Engineer?

Anybody here work for a Car tire manufacturer as a Designer, an Engineer?

Anyone have more to bring to the discussion than "It fits/I like it/I haven't had any problems?"

Someone who would actually know as a result of professional-level technical training each individual component of either a MT or CT, what each individual component does, how they work in unison, and what results when one or more of those components are changed /altered?

These are the same folks saying ya need to use MC tires on a MC.

The rest of us are all 'armchair experts'.

shooter
    Its not new but it is forward thinking Scot. I don't see anyone twisting arms. But its an opinion that deserves consideration. And Bob you're right. I have an M109R and you have to really work that 260 rear MC tire to get around a corner. I can drag the pegs with it but it's like riding Moto GP. Takes a lot of body English to get results. Even with the CT on the B it out handles the 9 easily. I can't tell a whole lot of difference.

Its not new but it is forward thinking Scot. .
    See my post above.

To have any of us 'armchair expert's' experiment with CT's is not true 'forward thinking' at all.

Maybe for that individual and/or on an extremely 'elementary/Bubba likes it' level it is, but the real world 'experimentation/forward thinking' done at the manufacturing level is light years ahead of what any 'armchair expert' does when he grabs a CT off a shelf and slaps it on his bike.

If folks can't or otherwise refuse to understand that, well,,, I can't help 'em.

Comparisons

Its not new but it is forward thinking Scot. I don't see anyone twisting arms. But its an opinion that deserves consideration. And Bob you're right. I have an M109R and you have to really work that 260 rear MC tire to get around a corner. I can drag the pegs with it but it's like riding Moto GP. Takes a lot of body English to get results. Even with the CT on the B it out handles the 9 easily. I can't tell a whole lot of difference.
    I, like you, had a 2006 Suzuki M109. It came shod from the factory with a 240 rear tire. After 6000 miles the tire was replaced with a 250 Venom R. That tire, like the OEM tire, was great for conversation at local "Bike Nights" and other cycle gatherings but was worthless in good cornering and rain riding. Had a experience in a rain storm where my a$$ puckered as I thought I was wave surfing. The 109 was all over the road from hydro-planing.

I'm, by no means a pioneer in Dark Siding, nor am I a Tire Engineer. My experience is based solely on a personal accumulation of approximately 80,000 "dark side miles" on three different "heavy cruisers" with three different tires. Each of those experiences were different which would be considered reasonable due to tire and bike design. Guess that makes me a "Armchair Expert".

One thing about cycle manufacturers! They will re-write the rule book to suit themselves and their "bottom line". A perfect example is Yamaha's "Raider" which sports a "bias front tire and radial rear". Here we have a manufacturer contradict the long held belief that radials and bias tires should never be mixed. For whatever reason they have thrown caution to the wind or a Yamaha Engineer has done some extensive testing to support this division. Sure hope he checked with the "legal folks" and had the blessings of top management

Unlike Scotrod, my personal "Dark Side Experience" has been a good one without any "drama", hence I'll continue to use what is best for me. I don't promote or endorse what I do as the "norm" or as a "maverick". I simply choose to do and enjoy the handling and performance the CT provides for the type of riding I do

My personal safety and well-being are paramount! I'm a stickler for detail and specifics and document every event with my CT experience. I like to do "tire autopsy" be it CT or MT and get to the heart of the matter on how its constructed. I do the same with "oil filters". Knowing how it "Ticks" provides some clear evidence and eliminates conjecture

Ride Safe

shooter
    Bob we may be related. That was a well written post.

[QUOTE=Scotrod;46724]Personally, the DS is nothing new to me, or to MC's either. I've been there, done that, years ago,,, not going back.

QUOTE]

I've got two rear wheels, I'm going to mount up a C/T on one of them and draw my own conclusions.