Lane Splitting... - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lane Splitting...

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Yes, MSF does teach that. If you are number 1 in queue and there is no number 2, 3 or 4, I keep my side view mirror scan running, clutch lever in, bike in 1st with an exit strategy to get out of the way.
    After a 20 year association with the MSF, I have hung up my whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    After a 20 year association with the MSF, I have hung up my whistle.
    Wow...you had a whistle? They didn't give me one.....nor permission to use one.
    I used the two fingers in mouth whistle and the Rider Coach Trainers and Rider Coach Prep forbade from using that again, unless the next step was dialing 911.

Seriously, thank you for your dedication to newer riders. Being a Rider Coach is not easy, much less a stamp holder.
    BZ.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Wow...you had a whistle? They didn't give me one.....nor permission to use one.
    I used the two fingers in mouth whistle and the Rider Coach Trainers and Rider Coach Prep forbade from using that again, unless the next step was dialing 911.

Seriously, thank you for your dedication to newer riders. Being a Rider Coach is not easy, much less a stamp holder.
    BZ.
    Dang right I had a whistle! Genuine MSF whistle. If they sell it, I can use it. Seriously, it was only used to signal an emergency. The last time I used it was when a car drove out onto the range. I appreciate it, for the most part it was a very fulfilling adventure.

I was envisioning you having some sort of fancy aerospace-grade whistle

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    I was envisioning you having some sort of fancy aerospace-grade whistle
    That's the one I use at Franklin when things get out of hand!

Lane splitting has recently been OKd here in Au, cars must be stationary, or under 30 kmh. I won't do it simply because our drivers, especially young women in small cars are mad and the F6 is a bit wide anyway.

We are currently allowed to ride in bus lanes but there were a few hairy instances when that was first brought in for example i had a riding mate who tried riding in the bus lane on the first day it was legal, apparently no one told the bus drivers so of course you can imagine what happened.
    The bus in front of the rider slowed down to about 70kmh while the bus in rear sped up and sat about 6 feet behind the rider. Not to be out done the rider, in his mid 60s took the details of the busses and visited the bus depot where the red faced management apologised and hauled the relevant drivers over the coals, to make things worse for the drivers, the rider insisted on being present hat the haranguing and gave the drivers a piece of his mind. AS YOU DO.

Chris

One major concern with going to the front of the que....

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    I tend to agree with you there with this caveat, when inline bumper to bumper, side by side with cages my biggest fear being rear-ended by a cage driver who is scanning way ahead at brake lights and not paying attention to what is right in front of them. I have had way more close calls inline than I have had while splitting and even bumped and pushed into the cage in front of me while stopped. Another nice advantage of "lane sharing" is the ability to go to the head of the line at a stop light.
    My brother and I ride and we will legally go to the front of the line. I feel that when I do this there is an assumed agreement that I will get off the line quickly so I don't hold up the cars. I find in doing so I am exposing myself to a broadside accident from the guy running a red light. My focus is not my safety. So I debate making this move.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderm View Post
    My brother and I ride and we will legally go to the front of the line. I feel that when I do this there is an assumed agreement that I will get off the line quickly so I don't hold up the cars. I find in doing so I am exposing myself to a broadside accident from the guy running a red light. My focus is not my safety. So I debate making this move.
    I learned to ride in orange county in the 70's and worked for Caltrans 79,80,81 in long beach at the 7 / 405 interchange. Going to work at 0600 5 days a week on a bike I learned to lane split and got really good at it. The traffic in that area was really bad most of the day and worse coming and going during rush hour. Three things I learned was don't ride in the center of the lane, a car goes over something in the road and you catch in in the teeth. Always stay right or left at a stop light so if a cage does come pushing through you have an out or at worst get side swiped and not drug down the street 100 ft. I would like to see it legalized in more states, but the problem like in AU is everyone already thinks it's not ok and have an issue learning all over again. But like I said traffic in Newport, on the 55 and highway 1 at a stand still made it really nice to just keep on moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfndad View Post

Three things I learned was don't ride in the center of the lane, a car goes over something in the road and you catch in in the teeth.

How do you mean?

Riding in the center of a lane makes you more vulnerable to catching debris from the car ahead of you?

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    How do you mean?

Riding in the center of a lane makes you more vulnerable to catching debris from the car ahead of you?
    That is correct, you misunderstood what I said, I stated if you ride in the middle you can't see what's coming at you and a car or truck won't hit it and you might.
    (I learned was don't ride in the center of the lane)