LED Relay: Australian Spec strikes again! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Relay: Australian Spec strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Perhaps it would be less confusing if we referred to this device as a solid-state LED flasher and not as a "relay".

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

I'm with ya both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Baytown View Post
    Loosing my sense of humour right now. I purchased an F6B spec LED relay from the US, tore the front of my bike apart and the OEM relay on my Aussie spec bike is 3 pins (black relay) in line where as the replacement relay is 4 pins in a Hitachi type connector. (White connector attached to the relay with resin).
    Bugger!
    Can some one please advise which is incorrect, was I sent the wrong relay from the US OR is the Aussie OEM relay ( 3 pin) different to the rest of the world for reasons known only to Mr Honda?
    Thanks for any advice re this. Nothing is meant to be simple when modding lights on this bike!
    Best wishes all.
    Ken
    Attachment 17590

Ken,
    I wish that I had taken pictures when I did it. You can modify your stock flasher to blink at a normal speed instead of replacing it.

Carefully cut off the back of the flasher assembly (opposite the pins). You are just cutting about 1/16th of an inch (~2mm); just the thickness of the plastic.

With the back off, you can slice the rtv where it is sticking to the inside walls and slide out the circuit board.

There is a thick solid "U" shaped wire on the circuit board that is used to measure bulb current. If you cut the trace between that wire and the surface mount IC, the flasher will work like normal.

I believe that trace goes to pin 7 of the IC. But, my memory sucks. If you get the circuit board out and can post a close up picture of it, I can tell you exactly where to cut.

Good luck!
    Albuquerque, NM

Solid State LED Flasher

G'Day 98.
    Thanks for the great info on how to get around this issue.
    I think I will try to find a 3 pin LED flasher unit over the weekend and run cables from it to the OEM flasher harness. If no luck, I'll look into the surgery you advise. I'll get back to you with how I went. Thanks again mate and best wishes.
    Ken
    2015 Blue F6B
    Cairns AUSTRALIA

Officially now a clever bugger!

Ok.
    For anyone in Australia or UnZud wishing to swap out their 3 pin OEM Flasher unit to fit an LED lighting compatible replacement, here's the fix.
    I purchased 2.5 mm male crimp connectors from Jay Car. Both Supercheap and Autobarn were useless. I purchased a 3 pin LED flasher (Supercheap) and made up a harness from the OEM female pin flasher harness to the new LED flasher can.
    Pin 49 is +
    Pin 49a is Switched and;
    Pin 31 -
    Fit in the OEM harness in that order, looking to the rear of the bike.
    And Bob's your Mothers brother.
    Flash and hazards are now ADR13 compliant and flash as intended.
    Hope this is of help, and best wishes everyone.
    Ken
    Attachment 17612Attachment 17613
    2015 Blue F6B
    Cairns AUSTRALIA

Quote Originally Posted by Baytown View Post
    Ok.
    For anyone in Australia or UnZud wishing to swap out their 3 pin OEM Flasher unit to fit an LED lighting compatible replacement, here's the fix.
    I purchased 2.5 mm male crimp connectors from Jay Car. Both Supercheap and Autobarn were useless. I purchased a 3 pin LED flasher (Supercheap) and made up a harness from the OEM female pin flasher harness to the new LED flasher can.
    Pin 49 is +
    Pin 49a is Switched and;
    Pin 31 -
    Fit in the OEM harness in that order, looking to the rear of the bike.
    And Bob's your Mothers brother.
    Flash and hazards are now ADR13 compliant and flash as intended.
    Hope this is of help, and best wishes everyone.
    Ken
    Attachment 17612Attachment 17613
    Where there's a will there's a way.
    Glad you got it an thanks for the good detailed pic I'm sure someone down under is going to run into this issue again.

You mention "ADR13 compliant" is that like our vehicle code regulations that specifies what has to be installed or working to be street legal?
    I looked up nhtsa.gov and found a PDF file TP-108-13, which only specifies a minimum flash rate:
    (a) A flasher having normally closed contacts must open (turn off) within 1.0 sec. for a device designed to operate two signal lamps, or within 1.25 sec. for a device designed to operate more than two lamps, or
    (b) A flasher having normally open contacts must complete the first cycle (close the contacts and then open the contacts) within 1.5 sec

So the Feds only have a minimum rated but no max. Some states like Massachusetts & Wisconsin do specify a rate of between 60 and 120 flashes with 90 being optimum per minute while here in Calif. there is no such specification. The only thing concerning blinking in Calif. is about headlight modulation:
    "25251.2. Any motorcycle may be equipped with a means of modulating
    the upper beam of the headlamp between a high and a lower brightness
    at a rate of 200 to 280 flashes per minute. Such headlamps shall not
    be so modulated during darkness."
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=25250-25282

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

G'Day Big.
    Yes, Australian Design Rule (ADR) 13 deals with lighting on vehicles including indicator flash rates.
    Hence the need for the LED flasher upgrade. Im sure there is a Police officer out the who would book me for non compliance.
    Either way, the slower rate just looks right.
    Now Im just waiting on the loom for the LED Pathfinder driving lights to arrive and thats the lights finished.
    Best wishes mate.
    Ken
    2015 Blue F6B
    Cairns AUSTRALIA