GPS/Iphone Apps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS/Iphone Apps

GPS/Iphone Apps

Anyone having any success using their Iphone as a trip planner and turn by turn navigation aid? I have the sena 10 Bluetooth and I'm debating weather or not I could get by using my Iphone for direction instead of spending $500 on a Garmin? I'm particularly interested in the apps you are using, if you are having success.

I down loaded "inRoute" iphone app which looks pretty user friendly but it comes with a pricey subscription which I don't mind paying if it works well?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgey1 View Post
    Anyone having any success using their Iphone as a trip planner and turn by turn navigation aid? I have the sena 10 Bluetooth and I'm debating weather or not I could get by using my Iphone for direction instead of spending $500 on a Garmin? I'm particularly interested in the apps you are using, if you are having success.

I down loaded "inRoute" iphone app which looks pretty user friendly but it comes with a pricey subscription which I don't mind paying if it works well?
    I just use the Apple "Maps" app for when I need navigation. I plug my phone into the USB in the left bag and go. Don't have a headset and don't have the screen in front of me so I just need to listen closely when she speaks. The app works fine, gets me where I need to go. On my last trip out west, when our group separated and I was leading one of the groups, we routinely reached the destination ahead of the other group by a significant margin. And they were being guided by the full Wing's built-in navi system.

After re-reading your post though, "trip planner" stuck out this time. Perhaps you're looking for putting in specific routes and turns and not just getting from Point A to B like my response was. In that case I haven't really explored that kind of utility on any app. Apologies if I missed the mark.

I use Apple Maps. Google Maps has the advantage of being able to move the map while navigating. The next version of Apple Maps will have that.

The only two reasons that I can think of to use a separate GPS is the GPS is waterproof (You can use a waterproof case on the phone), or if you travel in areas with bad cell coverage which happens to me. Phones need cell service to get the navigation set up. Once its running it won't need cell unless you want to make a change.

Another good iPhone app is "Where am I at" It does not do turn by turn nav, but it shows your position on the map and allows you to move around to see the various roads
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Supposedly, the ios Google maps app will soon allow multiple stop planning. To me this is the one feature that so many apps fail at vs dedicated GPS.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/29/12...e-destinations

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    Supposedly, the ios Google maps app will soon allow multiple stop planning. To me this is the one feature that so many apps fail at vs dedicated GPS.

Agreed, that would be helpful

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post

I Just read that link. That feature is active now. I just checked in on my iPhone and its there. I had no idea. Thanks for letting us know

2kewlgypsy
    I use Co-Pilot - and like it - has the ability to input multiple stops - and doesn't use wifi - uses GPS so doesn't effect your data usage.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kewlgypsy View Post
    I use Co-Pilot - and like it - has the ability to input multiple stops - and doesn't use wifi - uses GPS so doesn't effect your data usage.

Is that a smart phone app or a separate product?

I can say that Garmin is faster. Once leaving the rally in Franklin I told my Garmin go home and the IPhone go home...The Garmin was one hour shorter...chose the Garmin route.

Can't say why but this was the case. I now have a full grown GL and have yet to test the distances between the two units. It comes down to which "maps" you are using and the latest date installed.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

The main advantage to using a stand alone GPS unit is that they are not dependent on cell service to work. Anything based on your cell device needs service to work and you're far more likely to lose cellular service than have the GPS lose the satellite.