Tail of the Dragon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail of the Dragon

Tail of the Dragon

Anyone been to the Tail of the Dragon? I am going to Ocala, Florida in a few weeks and and I saw that it would be only a few hours out of my way to go to the Tail of the Dragon. Does anyone have advice? where to stay, eat, etc... Do most people make just one pass?

I would appreciate any advice.
    Steve

GaTeach
    Do one pass so you can say that you've done it and you can have the professional photo to prove it and then ride some of the really kick ass roads in the area. Cherohala, Hellbender, Wayah, 64, War Woman....

Of course, that's just me. Everyone has an opinion about the Dragon.

But let me know when you're here! I'll call in sick to go riding!

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    Do one pass so you can say that you've done it and you can have the professional photo to prove it and then ride some of the really kick ass roads in the area. Cherohala, Hellbender, Wayah, 64, War Woman....

I did once a couple of years ago, but would like to do more riding in the area. where is a good place to stay?

The hospitals blow in that area. I would stay away from them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

What teach said......
    I have been a few times and I stay at the TWO WHEEL INN in Robbinsville on 129 but it is out of town. Nice place with a garage for your bike attached to your room.

If you're going to do the tail, then you gotta do it in both directions.
    Once you get to either end, there's a turn around, stop there, catch your breath and do it again!

The dragon IMHO is over rated..over ridden and many more roads to ride ..to crowed as well...take your time...a lot of new folks feel the need to prove a point !
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by F6B1911 View Post
    If you're going to do the tail, then you gotta do it in both directions.
    Once you get to either end, there's a turn around, stop there, catch your breath and do it again!
    I agree with that as it is two different rides completely. You go uphill one way which I believe is easier and then down hill the other way which in my opinion is a little tougher. Be sure to ride it at your own pace and ride it during a weekday, not during the weekend!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired USAF
    1974 - 1994

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    The hospitals blow in that area. I would stay away from them.
    Made my day!

You might want to stay in the little town of Maggie Valley close by with plenty of motels restaurants and things to do. It's a biker friendly town complete with a motorcycle museum called "Wheels through Time". Well worth the time to walk through.
    There's an Indian reservation near by that's interesting to visit and some great riding roads. I wish I could give you more detail as to the road numbers, but it was some time ago and I was following a local friend who knew the roads up through the parks.
    IMHO Those roads were a lot better then the Dragon itself. To me the dragon had some nice turns but far too many switch-backs to be fun. Not to mention the crazies.