Gold Wing Trunk on an F6B
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold Wing Trunk on an F6B

Gold Wing Trunk on an F6B

Before all the replies of "Heresy!', "Why didn't you just buy a full dressed Goldwing?" etc. let me offer a brief explanation. I came off a Valkyrie Interstate that I had owned almost 10 years when I purchased my F6B. Bottom line, my wife isn't comfortable on the back.

It's not the seat, I have an Ultimate and she loves that as well as I do. She just doesn't feel secure sitting back there feeling more exposed then she did on the Valkyrie. Yes I can just buy a new Goldwing and I looked at them today. I was offered a fair price for my bike but I still prefer the blacked out look of our frames and wheels. While I really liked the thought of built in cruise and GPS I could be happy with a Goldwing trunk. (Not a big fan of the other options.)

So finally getting to my question, does anyone know what would be involved to put a current model trunk on an F6B?

Not sure this will help but many rear seat passengers have felt a little uneasy with the Deluxe stock backrest being so low. I installed an adjustable height bracket that the Honda dealership out of Storm Lake Iowa (712) 732-2460 sells and my passenger loves it. I paid $150.00 at the time, not sure what it is now but well worth the money. Might be a much more cost effective solution to make your passenger feel secure.

Thanks for the advice, however I did replace the stock backrest with an extended version from Ultimate Seats. She feels more "tucked in" to the trunk plus the rear speakers are nicer for the passenger.

I purchased a trunk on eBay for around 60.00 and retrofitted it by matching the attachment points from the luggage rack and using spacers that I cut from steel hollow rod that Home Depot carries.
    My wife felt the same as yours with the backrest and the trunk comes with a wraparound seat that when my wife got on it yesterday for the first time gave it two thumbs up.
    The trunk comes in gloss black matching my bike perfectly although the paint job is as would be expected...depot carried M8x70 and M8x50 bolts,spacers measured to match were cut at 1 5/8" and around the 2" mark. This gets the trunk relatively level when attached. I placed two sheets of steel under and inside the trunk sandwiching it in order to stiffen the installation. The key point to all of this is that this assembly is removable. That was the attraction to the Harley I owned...detachable backrest. It'll take me about ten minutes to attach or detach, well worth it to have a happier wife on board. Attachment 16250Attachment 16251

Quote Originally Posted by Hdnvn View Post
    I purchased a trunk on eBay for around 60.00 and retrofitted it by matching the attachment points from the luggage rack and using spacers that I cut from steel hollow rod that Home Depot carries.
    My wife felt the same as yours with the backrest and the trunk comes with a wraparound seat that when my wife got on it yesterday for the first time gave it two thumbs up.
    The trunk comes in gloss black matching my bike perfectly although the paint job is as would be expected...depot carried M8x70 and M8x50 bolts,spacers measured to match were cut at 1 5/8" and around the 2" mark. This gets the trunk relatively level when attached. I placed two sheets of steel under and inside the trunk sandwiching it in order to stiffen the installation. The key point to all of this is that this assembly is removable. That was the attraction to the Harley I owned...detachable backrest. It'll take me about ten minutes to attach or detach, well worth it to have a happier wife on board. Attachment 16250Attachment 16251
    I like that. I had a similar set up on my C-14. Took around 10 minutes to install\remove. Your right a happy wife on as a rider is priceless.

Have you seen the new 2016 black and grey Goldwing?
    Very sharp and the bottom is blacked out.

I think that I got the same trunk. But, I mounted mine as low as possible. I think it looks better.

100_3158.jpg

100_3160.jpg

100_3162.jpg
    Albuquerque, NM

Attachment 16258100_9595 Pc.JPG
    Trunks attach to the stock luggage rack

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ritsema View Post
    Before all the replies of "Heresy!', "Why didn't you just buy a full dressed Goldwing?" etc. let me offer a brief explanation. I came off a Valkyrie Interstate that I had owned almost 10 years when I purchased my F6B. Bottom line, my wife isn't comfortable on the back.

It's not the seat, I have an Ultimate and she loves that as well as I do. She just doesn't feel secure sitting back there feeling more exposed then she did on the Valkyrie. Yes I can just buy a new Goldwing and I looked at them today. I was offered a fair price for my bike but I still prefer the blacked out look of our frames and wheels. While I really liked the thought of built in cruise and GPS I could be happy with a Goldwing trunk. (Not a big fan of the other options.)

So finally getting to my question, does anyone know what would be involved to put a current model trunk on an F6B?

Dave, not to change the mode of the thread, but the 2016 White Goldwing is really sharp and apparently has some much needed front suspension improvements....Maybe it might be wise, as you ride a lot two-up, to go for the full "Monty"...Regards......An old Valkyrie rider friend....

Quote Originally Posted by Hdnvn View Post
    Very nice install!!