F6B service recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F6B service recommendations

Filter Clearance Remedy

Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Wear gloves when you uncork the oil drain bolt. My pinky is just now recovering. It is a tight fit underneath and I never seem to learn my lesson.
    There's no question the filter is a tight fit! That said I managed to "massage" the lower front plastic shroud which gives much needed room for filter access and removal. Attached is my original post/thread on the subject! It a quick and easy fix IMHO

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3...earance-Remedy

No problem with the stock filter

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    There's no question the filter is a tight fit! That said I managed to "massage" the lower front plastic shroud which gives much needed room for filter access and removal. Attached is my original post/thread on the subject! It a quick and easy fix IMHO

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3...earance-Remedy
    You can get the stock filter in and out without to much trouble but like this guy with the pure one filter you will have to make some room. Actually if your using a full synthetic in your bike you should be changing out the filter twice as much as the oil. Just cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    You can get the stock filter in and out without to much trouble but like this guy with the pure one filter you will have to make some room. Actually if your using a full synthetic in your bike you should be changing out the filter twice as much as the oil. Just cheap insurance.
    Huh? What?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Extended Drain Interval?

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Huh? What?
    I think he is referring to the ability of full synthetic oil to significantly extend drain (but not filter) intervals. This used to be advertised as a reason to use synthetics. I haven't seen that mentioned as much lately, and personally wouldn't do it unless I had my used oil analyzed a few times to get a feel for how much life is left in it.

Hot oil; eh?
    No, skint my knuckle on the concrete when the plug let loose. I would be afraid of wearing gloves with hot erl. But I don't preheat the oil, just let it drain for an hour while I do a bit of cleaning on the bike. I did find a $1 plastic shoe box from the dollar store makes a good drain catch for the oil vs a big ole round catch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I think he is referring to the ability of full synthetic oil to significantly extend drain (but not filter) intervals. This used to be advertised as a reason to use synthetics. I haven't seen that mentioned as much lately, and personally wouldn't do it unless I had my used oil analyzed a few times to get a feel for how much life is left in it.
    Ya... I sort of thought that... he wasn't being explicit though.

I'll just stick to my regular drain intervals/filter replacements of 5 thousand miles/one year; regardless of the type oil I am using.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Ya... I sort of thought that... he wasn't being explicit though.

I'll just stick to my regular drain intervals/filter replacements of 5 thousand miles/one year; regardless of the type oil I am using.
    +1 and it works for me......Rotella T-6 and Honda filters....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    The OEM Honda filter and the Purolater 14612 filter are identical in length There is a 14610 version which is approximately 1/2" longer! The mod was performed so a ordinary metal strap filter wrench, I had on hand, could be used. With the number of filter wrenches in my tool collection, purchasing a "special thin filter wrench" made no sense

Last two oil changes I had used the K&N filter. Its short and has a 17mm nut affixed to the end that makes on/off very easy and no space issues.

If you guys are fighting the oil filter wrench problem go to your local marina that deals with Evinrude and get the 4-stroke oil filter wrench. This thing is awesome and will fit even the tiniest of filters, the tighter the filter the harder this thing grabs it, works with 3/8 drive ratchet or 3/4 box wrench.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike