Premium Octane?

Thread: Premium Octane?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Well, if you use 91, enjoy. I'll keep the $$ difference and use it to pay for more accessories until my bike looks like Pee Wee Herman's.
    Its not what you think.....this mornings price at my local store: $2.93 for 87 octane unleaded and $3.47 for 91 octane ethanol free premium. If you do the math and use a 6 gallon fill up, it will cost you $17.58 for regular and $20.82 for premium. If I get 41 mpg on unleaded, I'll get a 246 mile ride for my 6 gallons. For the same 6 gallons, I'll get 264 miles at 44 mpg for the premium. Break it down to the per mile fuel cost and it costs me $0.1399 per mile for unleaded and $0.1268 per mile for premium so.....Its cheaper for me to run the premium, get better mileage and what I perceive as better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Its not what you think.....this mornings price at my local store: $2.93 for 87 octane unleaded and $3.47 for 91 octane ethanol free premium. If you do the math and use a 6 gallon fill up, it will cost you $17.58 for regular and $20.82 for premium. If I get 41 mpg on unleaded, I'll get a 246 mile ride for my 6 gallons. For the same 6 gallons, I'll get 264 miles at 44 mpg for the premium. Break it down to the per mile fuel cost and it costs me $0.1399 per mile for unleaded and $0.1268 per mile for premium so.....Its cheaper for me to run the premium, get better mileage and what I perceive as better performance.
    Not sure your math is right...From your figures I calculate $.0715/mile on regular $.0789/mile on premium