Cornering Speed and Posture
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cornering Speed and Posture

Question Cornering Speed and Posture

Obviously I am sure there are a ton of different answers as no two people are exactly the same but I am curious of a couple things from my fellow wingers.

1) My posture tends to be very upright when I ride, which obviously suits the F6B just fine. I noticed today, completely by accident really, that if I hunch forward (not by a lot just maybe 2"-3" or so) into a more "sportbike" riding position in curves I feel more stable and also it feels like the handling is more crisp and responsive. Thinking about this as I sit here at my desk I assume that it is either completely in my head or that the combination of more weight forward and a more "loaded" positioning of my arms makes for easier dipping of the bike into the curve. I was curious what the thoughts are of folks who have far more than my 8 months of riding experience.

2) What is your standard rule of thumb for entering the following corners (assume we are talking about an average radius/sight line/etc to match the "recommended" corner speed)

----10mph

----25mph

----35mph

I know that I am not pushing my bike anywhere near it's limits or anything as my average entry speed is typically between 5-15 over, but my curiosity is killing me as to where most guys rule of thumb is on the style of bike that we ride. The only thread I have seen was on a sportbike forum and the general vibe was "double everything" but that is obviously on a very different style of motorcycle.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Honestly, I tend to pay more attention to the road than I do the signs or the speedo.
    I'm not a 'speed racer' kinda guy anyway,,, Seen too many of these lately:

I don't do anything unusual, just lean into the turn like normal. The one thing I did learn though, don't try to shift while turning left or you might lose your toes!

Avg 15-20mph maybe sometimes 20-30 if Im in the real aggressive mode and Im on a familiar road. Unfamiliar rds deserve some respect. Ive never heard of a avg, I would say each rider has their comfort zone. If youre thinkin about stepn up your entry speeds ease into it brother,
    Small steps, turn it up my 5mph at a time and ride that until you feel real natural at the higher speed then kick it up another 5mph and so on.
    As for your riding position change by crouchin fwd a little that makes ur air signature smaller so less turbulence and your center of gravity gets lowered a little, both help the line the bike can follow thru curve.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Obviously I am sure there are a ton of different answers as no two people are exactly the same but I am curious of a couple things from my fellow wingers.

1) My posture tends to be very upright when I ride, which obviously suits the F6B just fine. I noticed today, completely by accident really, that if I hunch forward (not by a lot just maybe 2"-3" or so) into a more "sportbike" riding position in curves I feel more stable and also it feels like the handling is more crisp and responsive. Thinking about this as I sit here at my desk I assume that it is either completely in my head or that the combination of more weight forward and a more "loaded" positioning of my arms makes for easier dipping of the bike into the curve. I was curious what the thoughts are of folks who have far more than my 8 months of riding experience.

2) What is your standard rule of thumb for entering the following corners (assume we are talking about an average radius/sight line/etc to match the "recommended" corner speed)

----10mph

----25mph

----35mph

I know that I am not pushing my bike anywhere near it's limits or anything as my average entry speed is typically between 5-15 over, but my curiosity is killing me as to where most guys rule of thumb is on the style of bike that we ride. The only thread I have seen was on a sportbike forum and the general vibe was "double everything" but that is obviously on a very different style of motorcycle.
    Regarding the posture question - I agree that a small , perhaps imperceptible to an observer, lean forward helps me in cornering. I also find that poking a shoulder a bit into the turn helps. I don't do this trying to be some sort of Ricky Racer. I tend to ride briskly but not aggressively. I just find that the small lean forward and pointing with the shoulder makes the bike go where it's pointed and feel less like it's being steered with a tiller. This is for the twisties, not for lazy cruising through wide sweepers. I don't think this posture is even noticeable to those riding with me. I see others going through the same twisties sitting bolt upright with straight arms and that works fine for them. So, as always, whatever works for each of us.

Ok Miles, Big Dawg, and Steve. I know ya'll got something on this one. I've seen enough to know that your cornering speed averages somewhere between fast and real fast and your posture likely involves keeping your toes up so they don't burn off. But you guys have a wealth of experience and the skills to ride that way.
    But seriously friend, take your time and work up to YOUR comfort zone. The more confident and competent you become the more enjoyable the ride.

Shifting your weight forward will more heavily weight the front wheel, which should improve steering responsiveness. I don't own a F6B so I can't speak specifically about that bike but as a general rule you want to move your weight forward in a turn for just that reason. The downside is that the rear might be a little more susceptible to stepping out on you, but I doubt with the Wing's weight that's much of an issue.

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_0...ng_techniques/

Thank You Limbuck..... to answer the query... there are to many variables...starting with road conditions, bike conditions, how you are feeling that day and so on and on....

No real mystery here... just tried and true...look thru the corner, if coming in to hot use front brake to scrub some speed and bend that bike over... I am not a good person to get advise here..been riding to long and have many good and bad habits...

I will say that when flat landers go to the mountains usually bad things happen... here in Fl if the curve is marked 20 you can do 40..if you are good, 60 and if really good more... usually in the mountains for the first few trips or days the curve speed is all you want...( I still have issues with blind curves )...figure it out and begin to increase speed when ability has increased...I have used the term, " current " before...current means you do whatever often enough that there are no issues.... Sadly, I don't get up to the mountains as often as possible, so although maybe above average I also am no longer a speed demon... add that to a couple of friends dead and you will slow down. At my age I have nothing to prove to anyone and don't care. How ever I do like speed !

I also believe if you don't scare yourself or increase blood flow , what is the use of living!!!

Bottom line, ride your ride...period this ain' kinder garden and no one needs to impress anyone else...

If you are looking for advise as far as cornering..... here is my best advise..... go to a large parking lot, get the bike in third gear, and do circles, 10 left, 10 right....no gas, no clutch just bend the bike over and do circles..... now get the peg on the ground and drag the peg...full circle 10 right 10 left.....when you can do that, do it in second gear..... to boring go back to third gear and take one hand off the bar, 10 right 10 left....your confidence level will be sky high and most if not all fear gone...then go to Franklin....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Steve
    I have never heard anyone say use the front brake if you are entering a turn to hot.
    Someone told me a few years back to gently apply or drag the rear.
    This technique has has helped me tremendously.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrf13 View Post
    Steve
    I have never heard anyone say use the front brake if you are entering a turn to hot.
    Someone told me a few years back to gently apply or drag the rear.
    This technique has has helped me tremendously.
    The linked braking system will apply 33% REAR brake when the front is applied.

I also use my front brakes to slow down if approaching/entering a curve too fast, 70% of the bikes weight is on that front tire when braking. The rear will brake lose much quicker in a curve than a front. Everyone has their own habits.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.