Steelmate TPMS question - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelmate TPMS question

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I will give it a shot this weekend.
    I have to replace the Front Brake Pads and will be rolling around on a creeper anyway...
    Thank you, Sir!
    Albuquerque, NM

My long term use of Steelmate TPMS review

My long term use of Steelmate TPMS review is not very good.

Just as an FYI for anyone interested.

The front tire sender unit on both my Motorcycles works well BUT the rear on both bikes is very inconsistent. Sometime taking up to 3 miles before it updates the PSI. Also it seems to loose the signal from time to time and I get no reading just a red -- that shows no PSI. A call to one of their tech supports was useless as they told me they do not have tech support for this system only their alarm system and I should call another phone number that is not Steelmate but does install them.

The Steelmate TPMS system seems to work for 95% of the time and is still a helpful tool but I always wonder if the reading is correct. Not very confidence inspiring.

I am done swapping units from bike to bike and running tests.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    My long term use of Steelmate TPMS review is not very good.

Just as an FYI for anyone interested.

The front tire sender unit on both my Motorcycles works well BUT the rear on both bikes is very inconsistent. Sometime taking up to 3 miles before it updates the PSI. Also it seems to loose the signal from time to time and I get no reading just a red -- that shows no PSI. A call to one of their tech supports was useless as they told me they do not have tech support for this system only their alarm system and I should call another phone number that is not Steelmate but does install them.

The Steelmate TPMS system seems to work for 95% of the time and is still a helpful tool but I always wonder if the reading is correct. Not very confidence inspiring.

I am done swapping units from bike to bike and running tests.
    That sucks. You must've gotten a less than stellar unit for the rear sensor. Mine are still working correctly. Fingers crossed.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I'm still experimenting with mine. I even took one of them completely apart. Not a good idea! They are sealed and have itty bitty surface mount components around the edge, the size of a pinhead, begging to be stripped off.

One thing that I noticed is that the battery seems to fit pretty loose. So I stuffed a piece of plastic foam in the holder to put some added pressure on the battery.

Right now, both of my sensors will react just moving the bike in or out of the garage. I'll have to keep checking for inconsistencies ...

Check your temps and your pressure. The temps can change even when the pressure does not, indicating a good sensor response.

"--" is definitely not good! Try the foam?

Another thought: Radio interference - the amp is in the way. Try it with and without the radio on?
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    That sucks. You must've gotten a less than stellar unit for the rear sensor. Mine are still working correctly. Fingers crossed.
    I thought that way at first but I have TWO separate units on TWO different bikes and issues with both rear units. I even swapped the rear units between bikes for a test.
    1) 2013 F6B
    2) 1978 GL1000

I am glad you have no problems. You are not alone, seems many more good reviews than bad. I just ended up on the bad list. HA HA ... Not the first "bad list" I have been put on and probably not the last.

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I'm still experimenting with mine. I even took one of them completely apart. Not a good idea! They are sealed and have itty bitty surface mount components around the edge, the size of a pinhead, begging to be stripped off.
    One thing that I noticed is that the battery seems to fit pretty loose. So I stuffed a piece of plastic foam in the holder to put some added pressure on the battery.
    Right now, both of my sensors will react just moving the bike in or out of the garage. I'll have to keep checking for inconsistencies ...
    Check your temps and your pressure. The temps can change even when the pressure does not, indicating a good sensor response.
    "--" is definitely not good! Try the foam?
    Another thought: Radio interference - the amp is in the way. Try it with and without the radio on?
    I thought about interference from electronics also as I have a CB in the left saddlebag, but that doesn't explain my issue with my 1978 Wing with no electronics and no body work. Not even saddlebags on that bike. It's an old naked GL1000.

I did try a new battery but did not snug it up with foam. I'll give it one last try and see if the battery connections are it.

Well, I spoke too soon. Just when I thought that all was well.

Just now, I took the bike out and the rear sensor worked immediately. The front sensor took a couple of miles before it registered the new pressure & temp.

It appears that this is an intermittent problem. I used to have the problem on the rear sensor. I swapped front and rear without reprogramming and the problem has moved to the front. So it must be the sensor.

I guess that I should try reprogramming it while it is on the front and see what happens. But I think that it is going to be a bad contact inside the sensor.

When I had it apart, I could see some surface mount components and the pressure sensor thing-a-ma-bob. I was hoping to see what ever they used to trigger the sensor when the wheel moves (a spring, a ball, something). I did not see anything. Next time I am in there, I will remove all the sealant and see if I can find the trigger mech.

Just following up ...
    Albuquerque, NM