Up to "here" with Harley riders and others (at times) - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Up to "here" with Harley riders and others (at times)

Very funny, George. It's White Bird pass up in the panhandle of the other place famous for potatoes, Idaho!

I too have a buddy with all the HD branding, rides less in a year than I do in a good day.

I love little dual sports. Along with my Boeing production, I also manufacture some parts for the KLR650.

Quote Originally Posted by tozco View Post
    A lot of bikes have come into and left my stable. The Pan has been a steady part of nearly half of my life, it has been through a lot.

Extra points if you can name the location where I've photographed the F6b. Hint: It's in a state famous for potatoes.
    Beautiful bikes.

I say coeur d'alene
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by tozco View Post
    Very funny, George. It's White Bird pass up in the panhandle of the other place famous for potatoes, Idaho!

Uh-oh... I'm getting called out on my funny That was a nod to Steve's Irish heritage.

I'm envious of the landscape you're able to access anytime you want; you're smack dab in the middle of the most spectacular scenery possibly in the whole world.

Toz, if I had a 6 and your location, I'd be ALL over it!

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Love that story.

And now for something completely different....

or or
    (pick whatever you like)

I have a Harley.
    She's 20 years old this year.
    Bought her in 2001 with less than 3000 miles.
    Previous owner put in new cams, new intake, better carb, better ignition, whole crap ton of performance stuff.
    She's pretty well chromed out - Steve would approve.
    She has a Thunderheader exhaust and she's embarrassingly loud at times.
    She makes 80 hp with 80 cu in.
    Almost 20,000 miles now. (she was 1 of 4 bikes until last year, now she's 1 of 2)

I'm a lifetime HOG member.
    I do not play in my local chapter anymore.
    I own a lot of stock in HD.
    I don't wear Harley gear.
    I don't put stickers everywhere. (F6B or Harley)
    I wear a big BMG nylon jacket with kevlar or CHP leather jacket and leather chaps for my ATGATT
    Plus a full face Shoei helmet.
    And the orange or green reflective vest, conditions dictating.
    People ask why I dress like a BMW rider and ride a Harley.

Dyed-in-the-wool Harley riders shun me.
    They don't understand ATGATT.
    Then they don't understand how my 20 year old girl leaves their 2013 Springer in the dust.
    Then they don't understand why they can't keep up with me in turns ("Oh, if I went that fast, I'd scrape my precious floorboards...")
    No. The answer is you don't know how to properly ride a two wheeled vehicle.

Bottom line: Harley riders, as a congress of riders, are really great, giving people, but, they are about the most average to below average riders I have witnessed.
    Hell, some of the HOG Road Captains couldn't pass a BRC2. We took 12 in a special class we setup specifically for them.
    I knew most of them when I wrote part of the local HOG Safety Newsletter.
    10 showed, the other 2 pontificated prior to the class to the others going that they "couldn't learn anything" from the course so they opted not to show.
    6 passed.
    2 failed the final practical.
    2 didn't complete the course - it was too hard / too hot.

This is why I do not do group rides well. I find "the masses" to be unpredictable and I don't enjoy the ride when I'm watching out for everyone else.
    I have to build a trust with anyone I ride with through experience. You can only increase your skill by riding/playing/working/fornicating with people who are better than you are.
    They are out there.....I try to find them as often as possible.
    Also....
    I do not do concerts well. I'm a professional sound engineer and I seldom enjoy a show.
    I do not fly as a passenger very well. I'm a professional pilot and I know what the guy in the front seat doesn't know.
    I do not suffer poor food and beverage well. My wife is a gourmet chef and we make our own wine. Having written that...Waffle House rocks...
    I do not tolerate cruelty to animals but I can kill easily a human who wanted me dead, and sleep peacefully.
    Finally, I do not do well with fools. My mother always taught me that "maybe they are doing the best they can" - so they get the initial benefit of the doubt.
    However, my one prejudice is "willful ignorance." When a load of facts cleverly disguised as 2x4s keeps beating you about the head and shoulders and you still don't learn?
    I have no time for you and really wish you wouldn't bother to reproduce.
    EndEx.

PS - i probably shouldn't drink straight tequila and post......
    I have to agree with it all.
    I was lucky enough to sell my Street Glide to a local Police motor officer that also
    taught the safety course. He invited me to take the advanced course.
    He also told me to take it on the F6B.. I have to tell you at the end of the course
    I felt so much better about slow turns and such. He also was great at getting the
    best from everyone of us in the class. Also being able to get us to realize that we did in fact
    not know it all.
    shortleg

It's not politically correct to use Harley and congress in the same sentence.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Soooo..I've been riding Saorla (Heritage) all this week and even today.
    Took out Isleen (F6B) tonight.

Saorla is like the Colt .45 revolver of the old west, in the old west. Noisy in operation and in function, mostly reliable, needs special bullets but they can be found everywhere, and of course, everybody has one.
    Isleen is like a light saber; she's elegant, sleek, suave and she's the epitome of grace and handling with not necessarily the latest technology, but over-engineered solid technology that doesn't require "unobtanium" or anything special. And there are damn few of us Jedi Knights riding around.

To the painfully few and the obviously proud F6B owners....Slainte!!!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

The Force is strong with this one.

After Googling what it is and how to pronounce... Slainte to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    It's not politically correct to use Harley and congress in the same sentence.
    So , you really think the Congress is more charismatic , or has better marketing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Limoles View Post
    So , you really think the Congress is more charismatic , or has better marketing ?
    I was thinking more along the lines as that "congress" is how one refers to a grouping of baboons....

From "YourDictionary.com"
    "Traditionally, the specific collective noun for baboons is a congress of baboons; however, the non-unique collective nouns troop of baboons and tribe of baboons are also used; moreover, the recently-adopted specific collective noun flange of baboons sees increasing acceptance." (Probably as the baboons took exception to being referred to as a congress.)
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce