USB CABLE INSTALL IN GLOVE BOX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB CABLE INSTALL IN GLOVE BOX

USB CABLE INSTALL IN GLOVE BOX

Took some time out to run a USB cable from the saddlebag to the glovebox. For the life of me, I cant understand why Honda Engineers would put the ipod/iphone/mp3 input in a locked saddlebag. Anyway, I spent a little extra ($20) for a shielded USB Cable with gold plated connectors from Radio Shack. Bought the 10' one because they had no 6' one's in stock. Bought a grommet kit from Harbor Freight for $3.99. I removed the backrest, seat, side panel, and glovebox and drilled a 3/4" hole. Snaked the cable (male end first) along the frame and into a similarly drilled hole in the saddlebag. On the inside top of the saddlebag, there's a cover with 8 screws. Once you remove this, access to the wires and a clean area to drill is granted. I plugged the new USB into the existing receptacle, tucked the wires up neatly and put the cover back in place. I contemplated leaving the USB accessible, but for the life of me, I couldn't come up with one good reason. Now, not only do I have an accessible mini-RCA type plug, but ipod/iphone/mp3 input as well. Total Job time: 45 min, total cost: $25

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Is there a USB cable in the Goldwings located in the trunk? Might be why it's 'back there' instead of somewhere else on the 6's.

Is there enough current to charge?

I have been using my Ipod in the saddlebag since I purchased the F6B.Its locked up when I stop at places and with the handlebar buttons controlling it I have no reason to move it.
    Am I missing something?
    Ride it like you stole it

I thought about this when I first got the bike, then forgot about it as I accessed the plug alot less then I thought I would. I just have a thumb drive connected, and don't really update it much. Also, it seems like someone else was having trouble with the signal on the long run of USB cable...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by F6B-RICH View Post
    I have been using my Ipod in the saddlebag since I purchased the F6B.Its locked up when I stop at places and with the handlebar buttons controlling it I have no reason to move it.
    Am I missing something?
    Same conclusion when I use a MP3 player. Control everything from the bars.
    I sometimes stream music - Slacker Radio, through my "smart phone" which is connected to the RCA cable in the left compartment. Good access, but good potential for getting stolen.

My challenge now is where and what type of charger to mount for both.

J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Is your radio seeing your iPod like this? if so please give us the part number you used for the cable most extensions dont seem to work
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

I went a different route, but same location. I used the longer J&M aux cable and the powerlet micro charger direct to the battery.

Everything is fully functional. I use my iPhone. Sometimes I'll use a playlist, or I'll use Pandora. Since I do use the iPhone, when I exit the bike, I take it with me so there's no increased risk of theft. There is plenty of power to charge it in the glovebox.

The cable I used is a Gigaware 10' USB 2.0 shielded Extension Cable.
    Part No: 26-1408

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=3932758#

Duh! I thought having my I pod in a plastic box out of the way was a good idea. My XM radio is in my left glove box as I seldom change channels. XM antenna is stuck on the clutch reservoir. Happy Motoring all....
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.