Where do I get an OEM Honda key? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do I get an OEM Honda key?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    These keys without the chip will also start the bike.
    Steve
    I had keys made from blanks without the chips. They worked in the bags, gas and glove box but would not turn in the ignition. If they did start the bike what would be the purpose of the chip?
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

I don't think there is a chip because all my spare keys Home Depot or from the locksmith start the bike and lock the handlebars.

I think the Home Depot keys I cut off for the knobs are too short to start the bike or unlock the handlebars.
    Steve

There is NO chip in our keys !!!!! I have an extra blank...PM me your address and I will mail you one!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I did some digging around the interwebz and it seems that keys in the US market do not need chip, but Australia and other markets do.

In the US, if your key works everywhere except it won't turn in the ignition, you used a blank that cannot be fully inserted. I remember when I did the key mod, the keys I had made for the glove box and bags would not turn the in ignition even before I shortened them. I used a different blank for the ignition.
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

The OEM keys are a hair wider than most knock off keys. The wider key is needed to operate the ignition.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Thank you Steve0080 I appreciate the offer / I have sources for keys that work / It is just like the fact that this is the only vehicle I have ever bought vanity plates for / I am in love and nothing is too good for my baby / I just like the key with the wing. I have 2 with wings 2 with out wings and 3 Home Depot to use for knobs and saddlebags.

I don't know why I am worried / I still have the 2 original keys that came with my 81 CB750K.

Steve

I also use this bike a lot more than any bike I ever owned. (I have 16000 miles in a year) On the 81 CB750K I only have 6000 miles in 35 years but I did not ride much until my daughters grew up. I am now worth a lot more dead than alive. Don't tell my wife!!!
    Steve

The cheapie keys from Home Depot and other places will work in the ignition -IF- you lengthen the grooves in the key.

Lengthening the grooves lets the key be inserted all the way into the ignition. I used a dremel tool.

In the picture where the two red marks are is where the grooves have been lengthened and show about how much is needed (two grooves, both sides). Of course, I did not do this on the tank, cubby and saddlebag keys.

100_2561.jpg
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 114th COBRA View Post
    I ordered an extra OEM key which comes to the dealer blank and then was cut. I was told that the OEM blank has a chip in it matched to the ignition, thus Home Depot, etc. keys will not work in the ignition. I also bought Home Depot blanks, had them cut for use in the gas, glove, trunk etc. and they would not start the bike although they fit the ignition. Hope this helps.
    I had my spare key made at one of the local Ace hardware stores. I dont know if there is a chip but it worked just fine in the ignition for about 5 bucks..
    I had also heard about the 'chip' for my Honda Ridgeline truck but I dont think any of that is true. The one for the truck was made at the same place and didnt have the fob to unlock the doors and alarm but it worked in the ignition just fine..That one cost about 60 bucks for the special way it is cut.