Rear End Issue .... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear End Issue ....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Sorry... My first question was did you feel anything to made you think something was wrong with the rear diff...my second point is that a few here have gotten upset with Mother Honda for sending out a bike will less than 4 oz of fluid... MY point is that, there are a few/plenty of rear diffs out there than be purchanceed for $100 and an hour of someones time to install...of all the things that could go wrong with a wing this would be my first choice...meaning this is a easy fix, cheap to do and once replaced the problem is gone forever!!!
    All one has to do is throw up a post about needing a rear drive, and all of us that have a spare will respond and get it to the "needer" .

Hopefully they don't change the rear drive on the '16s........ if you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger View Post

Well ... I looked in the fill hole and saw the orange/red paint from Honda on several of the gear teeth. Then, as I turned the wheel, I saw the white/silver marks of various amounts (aluminum) on about 5-6 teeth. And, the rest were just gray metal as one would expect. There was also small bits of ground up aluminum (I guess) on the sides of the housing.

I just looked at mine,and saw the orange on the ring gear.They but dykem on to set the shim spacers up for the right clearance.

I had to add oil
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    All one has to do is throw up a post about needing a rear drive, and all of us that have a spare will respond and get it to the "needer" .

Hopefully they don't change the rear drive on the '16s........ if you get my drift.

Thanks!!! Its people like you that make this board GREAT !!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Good news ... !!

I was out on the Street Glide for a romp when I got a text at 3:17 PM saying they were putting the last bolt in the rear end of my F6B and were going to take it for a test ride.

Super !!

My LHD did a search yesterday when we found the problemo. There was only ONE new rear end in the county. He ordered it and had it overnighted. It arrived this afternoon and I picked up the bike around 5ish. Rode it home the long way and all seems good.

Steve .... regarding if there was any hint of something 'wrong' I didn't think so initially. But, now with the new rear gear installed, I don't feel the slight "tightness" I did previously. The wrench told me that he had both the old and the new rear ends on the bench and spun them both. There was a 'shisss, shisss' noise of metal on metal with the old, and none with the new.

There may be some available for $100, but Honda charges $1700 for a complete unit. Warranty works great !

I plan to add some bits and pieces tonight and tomorrow and take the F6B on our trip to WV/VA Sunday. I don't have any side tho'ts about it.

Thats great news...have a safe trip

Ed
    2017 ABS Pearl White GoldWing Grand Touring motorcycle

Life is too short to sweat the petty stuff.