My 1,200 mile review of the new RDL

Thread: My 1,200 mile review of the new RDL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have not gone to an RDL yet, because I don't want a higher ride. Adding a couple inches of foam (not to mention wider) will make pretty much any seat more comfy.

So, how much did it raise you? The seat looks pretty tall in the picture, well padded.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    I have not gone to an RDL yet, because I don't want a higher ride. Adding a couple inches of foam (not to mention wider) will make pretty much any seat more comfy.

So, how much did it raise you? The seat looks pretty tall in the picture, well padded.
    I'm not sure how much it raised me, 98Valk. Feels like maybe an inch and a bit over the mustang, but not too different from stock height. Taxfree has a video where he measures the difference and it's not too far off from stock height, considering the bucket, and actually narrower than stock width, despite appearances.

As to being more comfy-with the RDL it's not really the amount of foam or the width, but the location and shape of it that make the difference. Your body weight is supported in an entirely different spot than on the stock seat--basically under your thighs, and your bottom falls back into the pocket, which feels like a baseball mitt for your butt. There used to be a pretty well known iron butt rider that would take a 1X6 or a 2X4 and slide it under his hamstrings so he could lean forward and take the weight off his tailbones. This seat does the same thing, without the awkward board.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    I'm not sure how much it raised me, 98Valk. Feels like maybe an inch and a bit over the mustang, but not too different from stock height. Taxfree has a video where he measures the difference and it's not too far off from stock height, considering the bucket, and actually narrower than stock width, despite appearances.

As to being more comfy-with the RDL it's not really the amount of foam or the width, but the location and shape of it that make the difference. Your body weight is supported in an entirely different spot than on the stock seat--basically under your thighs, and your bottom falls back into the pocket, which feels like a baseball mitt for your butt. There used to be a pretty well known iron butt rider that would take a 1X6 or a 2X4 and slide it under his hamstrings so he could lean forward and take the weight off his tailbones. This seat does the same thing, without the awkward board.

Jason
    Thanks for taking the time to write this. It is good information.
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write this. It is good information.
    No problem, 98Valk. By the way, I like your user name. I had a 99 Valk, and it and my 84 Wing were my gold standard and set the bar for what a motorcycle ride could feel like. Hell of a platform.

Jason
    Last edited by Verismo; 06-11-2019 at 03:47 AM.