Tired of "belonging" - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tired of "belonging"

When I was a young rider, I had to join the A.M.A. in order to participate in any "sanctioned" dirt bike events. After my competition days were over, well, that was the end of any group. I will say the A.M.A. has done some good for the cycle world. Now, like most on this post, I ride almost always solo. got a couple good friends that ride, but each lives several hours away, and they still work, so don't get to ride with them very often.

Been there, done that and I ain't writing a book about it.
    I've rode all my life and wore a few colors in my early years(still have the jackets in the closet). About the time I turned 30(I'm 65 now) I realized that my dad was right, he did not need anybody or any club to ride, he never rode with anyone all his life and enjoy riding until his passing. In fact I was having a hell of a lot more fun riding and enjoying the ride without the 5 mile bar stops or "100 miles is as far as I ride" quoits from guys who think a quick hop to the store on the corner for beer is a ride once I gave up the "club" mentality & attitude.
    I know some guy are so socially insecure with themselves that they think the "club" is the only way to belong to something just look at a large majority of the weekend warrior/pirate HD owners.
    I do sponsor one group ride a year "Up the One" with guys from my Calif. VTX riders forum, been doing it for over 14 yrs, but that is it.
    Yet I am a 20 year member of one club and love it. We don't ride as a group, we don't have any chapters nor meetings, we just ride for the love of the ride. We are called the "Silent Skulls Lone Bikers" check em out if you want to see what I mean. http://www.silentskulls.com/

Silent Skulls Lone Bikers creed

With due respect to traditional motorcycle clubs, Silent Skulls Club was found out of our natural individual inability to conform to riding rules. We are a brotherhood of lone freedom on two wheels, freedom of choice not to lead or follow. We are not a "want to be traditional M/C", we can’t be a traditional M/C. We are not affiliated, supported, chartered or sanctioned by other clubs. Because of our non-organizational, non-political, non- traditional, non-club ways we ride alone. In crossing few areas our rights to the road have attracted attention from other clubs, know where you ride.

Maybe it's unnatural to conform or sacrifice to riding rules... Maybe it's the thought of no club restrictions or initiations... Maybe it's the lack of fear of being forced into expansion cracks, between double yellow lines or off on the shoulder looking for a back road out of a club... Maybe it's wanting to belong to a motorcycle club while not wanting to belong to anything... Maybe it's not being a lone biker by choice, but a protest of the traditional ways... Maybe it's having the courage to ride as a club alone... Maybe it's knowing all members are lone bikers like ourselves....Maybe it's the excitement of seeing another jacket in the middle of nowhere... Maybe it's the great feeling of pulling over at the end of the earth and being content alone... Maybe it's riding for simplicity and control over time and distance...Maybe it's not just about bikes, rules, bylaws and patches but about camaraderie with anonymity...Maybe it's because we ride as though it is an in-dissoluble love affair with our motorcycles and we view the destination as the end of a biker romance.

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD ?
    "NO Hondas, Kawasakis, BMWs, Triumphs, Motor Guzzis, Harley Davidsons, Yamahas, Indians, or Norton motorcycles? NO ugly, pretty, dull, shiny, junky or show motorcycles? NO chopped, stock, stretched or stolen motorcycles? NO small or large motorcycles? NO bikers that are ugly, skinny, fat, tall, short, bad, good, evil, Christian, long hair, bald, dirty or clean. NO women, men, straights, gays, lesbians or handicapped bikers? NO black, brown, green, white, yellow or red bikers?"

YOU WON'T HEAR IT HERE!

We ride all walks of life, live all motorcycles, let live all bikers and accept all lone bikers who self-identify as one of us and accept our Club creed, philosophy and camaraderie

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    ---- Who's Hillaree? Monica will be there to wash our bikes .

Stro, bring money she will be selling special Cigars.
    Monica the humidor?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Honda 2007 Shadow
    Honda 2006 VTX
    Honda 2013 F6B

I am more of the Lone Wolf type as well.
    I prospected with a local club, six years ago. It was hard for me to give up my free time "My time to be riding" To have to sit and tend bar at the clubhouse and to be at the club members beck and call at any moment because they need help with some troubles I didn't cause.
    Turns out they were more of a drinking club that occasionally road motorcycles. I'm still friendly with and hard feelings are had.

I have a few good friends from time to time that ride together. Big group rides drive me crazy, most want to go five miles and then drink beers bar to bar. I don't mind getting a beer, but the stops are at least 50 miles apart.

Tired of Belonging

Man I totally can relate. I ride mostly solo, or with my wife these days.....I like to ride, not be parcel to a revenue generating entity, I get enough of that with the workplace. I do enjoy helping out good causes and have had the opportunity to serve on Boards of non profit groups that truly engaged in changing lives and that can be very fulfilling......just never mixed with my hobby and passion. I have a few close friends I ride with occasionally and have enjoyed weekend getaways and road trips from time to time, but am just content to hit the road and decompress solo.
    In the Garage:
    2014 Yamaha VMAX 1700- Matte Grey
    2015 Honda F6B- Matte Grey

Good comments--spent 15 years of my life flying colors with a certain group here in Texas--at 39 found myself alone, wife and kids had had enough and I had more addictions then most folks could have survived--hooked up with CMA in 1998 and riding with those folks saved my life--still belong with CMA but last 5 years have not rode alot with them--like most of y`all I enjoy riding alone or with the wife on our annual MC trips---

Will- I added an app. to my phone called meetup. I connected with every bike group in the Tampa Bay area. They post before every weekend where they're riding. If it sounds worth doing I ride along. I don't go to meetings or pay membership, don't listen to membership BS. I just ride along. No Fuss!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Just have had it tonight. Enough. Tired of being in a club where the expectations don't materialize. VFW, American Legion, etc... organizations that I have joined and see the true designs of the local "brethren" of the posts that I belong to.

Almost "effed" someone up tonight but my inner being told me to walk away. I did just that. It was hard and but I did it. I will not be "chit" upon... I'm not going to go into details of what happened... but I am actually amazed that I had tolerated what occurred tonight. Maybe old age and sanity are finally kicking in.

I don't display "colors" and have never really went for that. But recently I decided to wear a patch of a local veteran's rider's organization and now I am going to rip it off. It just isn't working for me.

I'm "Lone Wolf'ing" it again. It's the best solace that I can find, and am seemingly comfortable with. Enjoyed the last F6B rally in Franklin N.C and will attend this year's Russelville's Rally. Everyone is unique and contributes. Without an ulterior agenda...

Tell me about your memberships in local motorcycle organizations. The one that I just exorcised myself from tonight; is more interested in fund raising; than riding.

I agree, been with 3 different Vet riders. Only 1 was riding a lot, but they were afraid they might offend the outlaw clubs. The other two talk the talk, but that is where it ends. I didn't signup to be a busboy or waiter. I have since left that set up. I agree with one comment, that is what the Veteran Riders are after is donations, and riding is secondary. One quick instance that put it over the edge for me was one of the officers talked about (actually harped and harangued) the group about riding to the meetings. He had his vest on with a zillion patches. However, when he got done admonishing all for not 2 wheeling, he left and drove off in his big ol' pickup truck! That sealed it with a kiss for me!
    Ride Safe, Ride Often

C

Mekong Delta/Can Tho/ Rung Sat- 8/66 ~ 8/68

I hope this is appropriate for this thread, but it's funny as heck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ERfv15EsI
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

GaTeach
    "Are any of them Harley riders?"
    "No. Most of my buddies enjoy riding motorcycles."

Best line I've heard all day. (and you can believe I've heard some lines today.)