Just bought, waiting to ride. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought, waiting to ride.

You made a great choice going with the F6B.

I traded in my 13' FJR for mine. It was a super fun bike to ride, but now I have a way more comfortable ride, and you will agree that it feels like yer riding and sitting on your couch. I have no problems with the stock seat.

Now for the windscreen, well lets just say, I just ordered one and its only been a week..

Welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Rick,
    Congratulations and welcome.
    Your buying a new windshield is probably going to happen - HOWEVER - make sure you get the seat you want FIRST!
    There are MANY people on this site who got windscreens, then seats, then had to go back and get new windscreens because the seat set them higher/lower/forward/backward whatever.
    Same goes for foot pegs! Get your tush taken care of before you go buying other stuff!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Best Advice !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I'm with you RickJ - waiting for the snow to melt and the salt to be washed away up here a few hours north of you. And, like you had been doing, I'm debating whether my attraction to the F6B is well-founded enough for me to make the switch from my 2008 BMW K1200GT. While I love the looks of the F6B, like others have said, the greater comfort it would provide me is the first practical factor, in my mind. I suspect that if money were no object I'd be at the dealer today to make the trade-in, even though I'd be giving up a lot of extra bells and whistles that the K12GT has and the F6B does not (tire pressure monitoring, heated seats, gear indicator, fuel consumption and miles-to-empty read-outs, electrically adjustable windshield, three-position adjustable seat height, removable hard saddlebags and trunk, 12-way electrically adjustable suspension, etc.). In exchange for those features, I'd get more comfortable ergonomics (especially with the addition of highway pegs) and less wind noise (with the installation of a taller windshield). For me, those two benefits probably outweigh all of the other characteristics of my Beemer.

I do want to question your indication that BMWs are "too pricey" in comparison to the F6B, however. Maybe you are comparing prices of left-over F6Bs or maybe there is an oddly greater disparity in the prices in New York State compared to up here in Ontario, but here in Ottawa the MSRP for the 2015 BMW R1200RT (a bike that most reviews crown as the best sport touring bike available today) is actually about $2,000 LESS than that of the 2015 F6B. I think that even the K1600GT is a bit less than the F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
    I'm with you RickJ - waiting for the snow to melt and the salt to be washed away up here a few hours north of you. And, like you had been doing, I'm debating whether my attraction to the F6B is well-founded enough for me to make the switch from my 2008 BMW K1200GT. While I love the looks of the F6B, like others have said, the greater comfort it would provide me is the first practical factor, in my mind. I suspect that if money were no object I'd be at the dealer today to make the trade-in, even though I'd be giving up a lot of extra bells and whistles that the K12GT has and the F6B does not (tire pressure monitoring, heated seats, gear indicator, fuel consumption and miles-to-empty read-outs, electrically adjustable windshield, three-position adjustable seat height, removable hard saddlebags and trunk, 12-way electrically adjustable suspension, etc.). In exchange for those features, I'd get more comfortable ergonomics (especially with the addition of highway pegs) and less wind noise (with the installation of a taller windshield). For me, those two benefits probably outweigh all of the other characteristics of my Beemer.

I do want to question your indication that BMWs are "too pricey" in comparison to the F6B, however. Maybe you are comparing prices of left-over F6Bs or maybe there is an oddly greater disparity in the prices in New York State compared to up here in Ontario, but here in Ottawa the MSRP for the 2015 BMW R1200RT (a bike that most reviews crown as the best sport touring bike available today) is actually about $2,000 LESS than that of the 2015 F6B. I think that even the K1600GT is a bit less than the F6B.
    Hmmm My "budget" was around 17K including tax. I got the 2013 for 16200 plus tax. The BMW I was looking at was the R1200RT which was essentially 22,700 before taxes at MaxBMW in the Albany NY area. For ME, part of the equation was the fact that the F6B was SO different from my Triumph I could justify keeping the Trumpet (to ME, not my wife) and now have a sporty bike, a dirt bike (250 Kawa) and the fantastic road cruiser. My triumph is basically good for just under 100 miles before it gets uncomfortable, but I KNOW that if I had sold it, I'd regret it now and then...

Traded my K1200RS 03 and thought the same thing more comfortable ride. Here in Ohio new
    K1600 go for 26000, don't think wind will bother me since I had a short wind screen on the Beemer.

Congrats on the new bike, RickJ!
    My last bike was an FJR1300. I think you made the right choice to get the F6B instead of the FJR.
    blue 2015 F6B Deluxe - sold
    2022 Yamaha Ténéré 700 - coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Its not a question of the wind , it's the bugs. The wind I can take.
    The bugs or the wind are not the issue for me. It is the radio. You can't hear it at all over 60 with out a different shield. If you do most of your riding in the city at reduced speeds, then it is not a big deal.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not to belabor the point (it's almost totally irrelevant here), but, just for the record:

The US BMW website page on the 2015 K1600GT (http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html) indicates the "2015 MSRP starting at $21,650 (including ABS)," while the Honda site for the 2015 F6B indicates that the starting price (for the base model) is $20,499 and the so-called Deluxe version is $21,499 - so even in this category the Beemers cannot really be said to be significantly pricier than the F6B.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
    Not to belabor the point (it's almost totally irrelevant here), but, just for the record:

The US BMW website page on the 2015 K1600GT (http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html) indicates the "2015 MSRP starting at $21,650 (including ABS)," while the Honda site for the 2015 F6B indicates that the starting price (for the base model) is $20,499 and the so-called Deluxe version is $21,499 - so even in this category the Beemers cannot really be said to be significantly pricier than the F6B.
    True. And the person who posted the original price observation [edit...whoops-it was you!] also distinguished between a leftover and 2015. The BMW I was looking at was pricier- I also didn't want to get into the reliability quagmire in this discussion, but suffice to say my Honda dealer is 4 miles away and the BMW almost 70. That said, the BMW dealer has some sort of pick-up service for certain issues/models. Nevertheless, I was more comfortable with the new Honda at my price point than a BMW that, FOR WHAT I WANTED, would have been 5K more.And, not to beat a dead horse, but the thought of keeping my Triumph with the Honda made the F6B concept all the sweeter.

Welcome to the group. I too am waiting for the saltwash so we can start riding. I am a few hours north of you and from what I see around there are a few members from around the upstate area.