FNG - intro - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FNG - intro

All good. So I will need a center stand, footpeg relocation? (I'm joe average @ 5'10"), cruise control, rear storage (TBags are great), and a proper windscreen? Sound about right? Next question is: can you rent one of these for a decent rip

Quote Originally Posted by Flhfxd View Post
    All good. So I will need a center stand, footpeg relocation? (I'm joe average @ 5'10"), cruise control, rear storage (TBags are great), and a proper windscreen? Sound about right? Next question is: can you rent one of these for a decent rip
    I have Rivco Aero pegs, the ones some are complaining about in another thread. I'm happy with mine. I barely use them. I'm slightly taller than you, and this bike fits me perfectly. I rode home from NC and never swung the pegs out. Cruise control....for me, just a way to stretch the wrists and air them out. Never use it for long periods, because, you very rarely get long periods, at least where I am. Windscreen is a crap shoot. So many....can't comment on a rental. That may be tricky.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Not sure where to post this. Canadian male with 35 years of riding many different brands. Currently have 2 Harleys and a BMW in the garage. Im a firm believer in multi bike ownership. Searching for a new 2 wheel experience. These F6B's have caught my eye. Familiar with Honda products. I'm sure to have some questions. Thx and ride safe. Flhfxd.
    Welcome FNG

The F6B is a terrific bike, BUT Honda in many ways has a conservative philosophy. I think that's why some view the Goldwing technology as a bit long in the tooth. Personally I'd rather have a reliable setup that's a bit dated instead of state-of-the-art failures when I'm out on the road.

Design & Engineering
    Engine/Transmission
    Electronics
    Chassis
    Braking
    Suspension

All get top marks in my book.

Everything else is subjective. Consider 500,000 +/- GW units sold over 40 years and the complaint department ain't exactly busy at the moment.

Now, the Costco return counter on a Saturday is another matter altogether!

Happy trails

edit: Oh yeah, that horn and those mirrors!! Holy Sh_t!

My two cents...

I can relate, I own two Harley's (Sportster, Fatboy Lo) and love them both. I also have an F6B and love that too for different reasons. I really appreciate the personality the big twins offer, say what you will about the MoCo but they build bikes that look good and offer a distinctive ride (e.g. "personality").

The Honda is definitely the long haul bike in my stable, although many on the forum will attest to its relative nimbleness for an enormous bike. I won't argue, it does handle well for its size. But its my bike of choice if I'm racking up the miles or just intend to be out all day.

Fatigue will be minimal because vibration is non-existent. Gas mileage is so-so, but the tank is around 6 gallons so not a big deal. Ergonomics work for me, and I'm used to big bikes so size is not a concern. Its typical Honda: as close as it gets to mechanical perfection, so peace of mind is always there.

In my opinion you can't go wrong with the F6B if you are looking for a large cruiser/touring bike. Good luck with your decision.

It's an animal of a time machine. It's easy to do 500 mile days, and in hills/trees/curves! It's very seldom you have to downshift unless you want to run in sport mode, it's a semi truck with torque. It's simplicity electronics wise is another reason I like the bike. I have NO desire for any of that fancy smanshy HD or Indian electronics! Just another distraction and something to break. My knees get to aching after awhile, but a couple minute stretch on the highway pegs now and then cures that.

Is it the bike perfect? No. Do I have gripes? Yes. But, the pros FAR outweight the cons. I sold my FLTRU, no regrets. I still have my old iron that suits me to a T, but for long distance, high speed touring? The B is damn hard to beat!

Mike

I am not at all surprised to read all of your comments and to be honest, I think I knew way in advance that this would be the collective wisdom. As I said, I am familiar with the company and it's products. I feel as though I'm about to betray my brand.....! Now ain't that the silliest shyt you ever heard?

I am not at all surprised to read all of your comments and to be honest, I think I knew way in advance that this would be the collective wisdom. As I said, I am familiar with the company and it's products. I feel as though I'm about to betray my brand.....! Now ain't that the silliest shyt you ever heard?
    That is silly.
    You can't betray what's in your garage....unless it just sits there month after a month while the other one gets all the attention.
    I had 2 Harley's and 2 Hondas at one point.
    Down to one and one.
    EEO is alive and well in my garage.

They both get special attentions in their own way.
    Saorla doesn't wish to go on long trips and prefers spirited, noisy, acceleration around town.
    Isleen likes long hauls to twisty roads.

Different mistresses for different requirements....
    Lol.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Brand loyalty is prevalent is motorized recreation and trucks, I have noticed. I have never been very good at brand loyalty - they are just corporations trying to make money. They don't care about you except what it takes to get your money.

In my garage is a Honda motorcycle, previously a Suzuki and two Yamahas...a Chevy...a Kia...two Ski Doos...and a boat with a Force outboard engine.

Each one of those represent what I feel is the best value/features balance for what I use them for. For example, I like my Chevy for the MyLink system and OnStar, plus some other qualities the car has that others don't offer. However, the Mrs. has a Kia Sorento over a Chevy Equinox because the Kia is ranked higher in reliability and has that all-important four wheel drive locking feature in the AWD system. It won out, as a result.

On my short list prior to the F6B was the Victory CC Tour and VStar Deluxe. The ABS and cruise control and storage on the Vic almost got me to pull the trigger...but...a $22,000 MSRP for a bike with questionable build quality and parts was too much to swallow. I went to Honda dealer and bought the F6B.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Welcome to the forum and congrats! I've had nothing but sportbikes before the B. My wife wanted to ride and that pretty much cuts the choices down to a handful.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN

Try and find a Honda Demo Day, & take one for a spin. My first demo ride on an F6B, and I was turned off by the short stock windshield, and the quiet engine (HD lovers call it 'soul-less' - no noise). I was coming from a Suzuki big v-twin, and it was way quieter than I was sued to with my twin & stock pipes. But I wasn't happy with the Suzuki, wasn't satisfied with t as a distance tourer. I tried the Victory CC Tour, the Victory Vision, & the regular Goldwing. Eventually I came back to the F6b (with a Madstad windshield) and appreciated the quiet.

Oh, and because you are in Canada, we get ABS standard on our F6B's. Newer versions also have the regular cruise control, but I am installing a Breakaway cruise control before a trip to Vegas next month.

If you hit one of your local dealers, they prob have used GL1800 or two they will let you take out for a test ride. Then you will get to experience the freight train linear torque that people above have commented on. Then, imagine chopping 70 lbs off that regular Goldwing and the touring trunk, and figure that the stock seat on the F6B doesn't make you feel like you are being pushed up to a perch on the edge of the gas tank like the regular 'wing, and thats what I found was the main differences between the regular 'wing & the F6B.

Happy hunting!

C