Better handling with shorty windshield?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better handling with shorty windshield?

Better handling with shorty windshield?

Bought bike in July. After test drive loved the handling of the bike but the shorty windshield had to go . It was way to loud for me. Had honda put on tall shield and drove it like that for a couple of months. Then decided to put shorty back on for the look because that's what I liked about the bike from the beginning. Looks sportier. Been driving with shorty for 2 weeks now and it feels lighter ( Idont know if that's the right word) It just seems to handle better. Maybe I'm just riding different with the sportier look. Almost all of my riding is on back roads between 45 and 55 mph. Torn between the two shields. But getting cold now so the tall one will be going back on for now.

I like the shorty also but when wearing my half helmet with my safety glasses I got so my wind up under my glasses it burned my eyes.

If I could figure out how to eliminate that I would put the shorty back on. I went with the Honda one with the vent.

My ideal setup would be a shorty windshield and 3/4 helmet if I could figure out how to keep the wind from rushing into my eyes and burning them.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    I like the shorty also but when wearing my half helmet with my safety glasses I got so my wind up under my glasses it burned my eyes.

If I could figure out how to eliminate that I would put the shorty back on. I went with the Honda one with the vent.

My ideal setup would be a shorty windshield and 3/4 helmet if I could figure out how to keep the wind from rushing into my eyes and burning them.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Goggles!

How many here wear goggles? I buy safety glasses with cheater lenses so I can read my GPS or whatever is close.
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

After years of wearing a 1/2 helmet I switched to a modular full-face helmet for just the reasons you mention. There are some drawbacks, but it allows me to retain the short windshield.

My Shoei J-Cruise 3/4 helmet with front shield blocks all wind and noise.

Have you thought of the Bagger Shield? I've got one and really like it. It gives you a lot more wind protection than the stock shorty when you only are using the tinted portion, plus you have the option to put up the clear section for a taller , let's say chilly highway cruising. I prefer to ride with just the tinted, it looks good and I like looking over the windshield. However, when it's cold , I appreciate and use the clear extension for the added wind protection.
    590193.jpgAttachment 9361Attachment 9362

There are a lot of intermediate choices out there, but I hear you. Still contemplating a mod to the shorty I think might work. In the mean time, Clearview 11" does the trick for me. Still looks reasonably sporty and hurls the majority of the bugs over my head which was my main objection.

image.jpg
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Clearview for me!

My new F6B is the sixth bike I have put a Clearview on. I went with the sport short windshield, sport width with light tint with the recurve. Great service and standard shipping still had it from Colorado to me in SoCal in two days. It eliminated 90% of the wind noise. I am happy with vol at 12 or so, at 70 mph and an open face 3/4 Bell Custom 500.

I have a pair of glasses from a company called Wiley X. They have a line of glasses called "Climate Control" that have a removable seal that goes between your face and the glasses that seals out wind. They work great! My eyes always used to water, but the Wileys solved the problem.