75.7 mpg today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75.7 mpg today

75.7 mpg today

Bought a new car this last Monday. Took my wife to lunch today, and in the short trip from her office to the restaurant, the dash guage indicated that we got 75.7 mpg during that 2.2 mile trip.

By nature, I am a Subaru WRX type of driver. I currently have 3 Subaru's in my stables. I will be selling off two of them in the next week. One is a 1991 Subaru Justy GL-WRX, and one is a 1998 Subaru Forester S-WRX, and the other is a 2006 Subaru WRX-STI. Yes, you are correct, Subaru did not make a Justy WRX or a Forester WRX...but "I" did. Both are now labled that way, as they are so fixed up for rally driving, that I just had to put ther WRX badges on them. My daily driver used to be the '98 Forester S-WRX, and I would generally average 22 mpg, given the way I drive, but also that it is AWD all the time, and a 4 speed auto. But I drive it like it is my WRX-STI, so the fuel mileage suffers.

Now, my new car, just sips fuel, and putters long. I am loving it so far, as it is kinda fun to get 75.7 mpg, once in awhile. The overall average since I bought this car on Monday night, has been 48.6 mpg.

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Bought a new car this last Monday. Took my wife to lunch today, and in the short trip from her office to the restaurant, the dash guage indicated that we got 75.7 mpg during that 2.2 mile trip.

By nature, I am a Subaru WRX type of driver. I currently have 3 Subaru's in my stables. I will be selling off two of them in the next week. One is a 1991 Subaru Justy GL-WRX, and one is a 1998 Subaru Forester S-WRX, and the other is a 2006 Subaru WRX-STI. Yes, you are correct, Subaru did not make a Justy WRX or a Forester WRX...but "I" did. Both are now labled that way, as they are so fixed up for rally driving, that I just had to put ther WRX badges on them. My daily driver used to be the '98 Forester S-WRX, and I would generally average 22 mpg, given the way I drive, but also that it is AWD all the time, and a 4 speed auto. But I drive it like it is my WRX-STI, so the fuel mileage suffers.

Now, my new car, just sips fuel, and putters long. I am loving it so far, as it is kinda fun to get 75.7 mpg, once in awhile. The overall average since I bought this car on Monday night, has been 48.6 mpg.

I had a sonic yellow 02 Wrx and a Silver 05 Sti, incredible cars! My Sti had a lot of work done, it was nasty.

OK Miles, SO...what kind of car DID you purchase? I hope it wasn't anything electric as I have heard they attract lightning. My daily driver has only averaged 42mpg since I got it in late August but it is fun to ride!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    OK Miles, SO...what kind of car DID you purchase?
    Don't feel bad,,, I had to Google 'WRX' to refresh my memory,,,

I guess those 'lets catch a hawk, let's eat a bug' commercials are working!

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    OK Miles, SO...what kind of car DID you purchase? I hope it wasn't anything electric as I have heard they attract lightning. My daily driver has only averaged 42mpg since I got it in late August but it is fun to ride!
    Well, Mike, I was left feeling a little more energized, so to speak, so I had to decide between a VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI...and a Toyota Prius "C".
    I am really into the diesel engines, and can always use the storage room in the back of the Jetta Sportwagon, to haul smaller things, but...in the end...it was the Prius "C" that got me charged up, and that is what I bought. It is the baby of the Prius line, the smallest one they offer. And between the battery pack on the car, and my own electrical stimulations, I rarely need to engage the small gasoline engine, so that is why I get such good mpg figures.

Well, Mike, I was left feeling a little more energized, so to speak, so I had to decide between a VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI...and a Toyota Prius "C".
    I am really into the diesel engines, and can always use the storage room in the back of the Jetta Sportwagon, to haul smaller things, but...in the end...it was the Prius "C" that got me charged up, and that is what I bought. It is the baby of the Prius line, the smallest one they offer. And between the battery pack on the car, and my own electrical stimulations, I rarely need to engage the small gasoline engine, so that is why I get such good mpg figures.

That's cool in a tree-hugger kinda way. Hard to argue with the MPG! I have been concerned about resale and maintanence costs down the road but at that price you can run it in to the ground and walk away. You will have saved the price of the car in fuel costs over it's life.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post

Bobby, I just spit out my coffee from laughing at your post.
    Miles,trade that thing in on the VW Jetta Sport Wagon.... this afternoon .
    Those TDI's are Nothing like the smell of Diesel or Jet fuel

Going down hill (coasting) my Ford 7.3 Diesel has shown on the mileage screen 99.9 mpg

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Bobby, I just spit out my coffee from laughing at your post.
    Miles,trade that thing in on the VW Jetta Sport Wagon.... this afternoon .
    Those TDI's are Nothing like the smell of Diesel or Jet fuel

Going down hill (coasting) my Ford 7.3 Diesel has shown on the mileage screen 99.9 mpg

Thankfully, I was drinking tea when I read Bobby's post, so I couldn't spit out any coffee

And while I am really into the TDI engines of the V-dubs...I also know that soon enough V-dub will be bringing out a diesel/electric hybrid, that should get well over 75 mpg. That is when we will sell my wife's VW cabrio that we bought brand new...and buy her a new diesel/electric hybrid.

I also love the smell of diesel fuel. Doesn't bother me at all.

But I am enjoying this new Toy Prius "C". It is fun to drive. Keep in mind, this is simply my daily driver, my grocery getter, my run to Home Depot car. It will be driven about 12K a year, while I do 3 to 4 times that on my bikes each year. I also have other vehicles, like the '06 WRX-STI that I get to beat up on Mustangs with, and my '24 Hupmobile, and my '57 MB 300SL.

Now, back to drinking the tea 'coffee'

but...in the end...it was the Prius "C" that got me charged up, and that is what I bought.
    Just when I thought I was getting to know you, you pull off something like this...shocking, simply shocking And this charges you up, really? Wait a minute, let me get this straight...an aggressive F6B rider that gets a charge by driving a Prius You, Miles, are an enigma, totally out there and unpredictable. Now me, otoh, I'm boringly predictable. I drive a tuned VW GTI that gets less than 30 mpg because of how I drive it. It's a real hoot and one of the ways to have some fun on 4 wheels