New motors and chassis from HD for 2017 - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New motors and chassis from HD for 2017

Circle-5
    The new Milwaukee Eight engine does nothing short of catapulting Harley Davidson from the 1960s directly into the 1980s. Impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    The new Milwaukee Eight engine does nothing short of catapulting Harley Davidson from the 1960s directly into the 1980s. Impressive!

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Harley knows its core demographic and it's not me, or probably any other F6B rider. Where Harley faces its biggest future challenge in North America is the same as all the bike mfr's... where will the new generation(s) of riders come from? Millennials who are holding down two part-time minimum wage jobs to pay the rent bills ain't buying a new bike, let alone a Harley, either as a recreational vehicle or even commuter ride. Up here in ONterrible Canada, basic liability insurance on a used 250cc bike can run a new under-25 rider multiple $1000s/yr, and we only get MAYBE 6 months warm riding weather.

So Harley is putting in the technology it must to meet gov't regs and help it's customers not be quite as embarrassed when F6B riders quietly smoke past them in the curves or the straights. But they are preaching to the choir which is older and more gray each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    BINGO!!!! We have a winner. All bikes are different. I have friends that ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to sit on my Harleys. Personally, I think that is the same Harley attitude in reverse---but hey--that's just me. I currently have an 06 Street Bob to go along with the B. It all depends on the mood I am in when I walk into the garage.

When it comes to bikes, I like a Harley much better than most of the people that ride em. Just sayin.............
    WOW! I just noticed my words and that did not come out right. What I meant to say was that I like the motorcycle more than the people that ride Harleys. Most can be real jerks. (Whew...............I needed to straighten that out)
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    Okay let me help you out, get the old lady's Hoover out of the closet, turn it on then throw some ball bearings on the floor and run the Hoover over them...the feeling in the Hoover's handle and the sound as the bearings go through he vacume will give you a good idea why you don't "feel the attraction" to a H-D. Next go to your laundry room put three pair of wet jeans on one side of the washer's tub, then turn on spin cycle, next try and set on the washer you will very fast realize why you don't own a H-D and why some women love them
    BIG(bad)LRY

I'll remember those demonstrations when I sell F6B's door to door.

Quote Originally Posted by XHarley View Post
    I just recently sold my 2009 Harley Road King Classic that was a great bike but I had owned it for a year and was ready to go back to another F6B and was ready to pull the trigger on a new 2016 Honda Goldwing F6BD in silver matte. Actually talked with an area dealer yesterday about starting the process of ordering one as he said that he now had some extra incentives from Honda and made me a really great price OTD.

We discussed why Honda may be adding extra incentives and whether they have a new 2017 Goldwing and F6B set to release with some major changes and he said that would be his guess. At the least he thinks that the F6B will get ABS brakes and even possibly a reverse gear. This sure clouds my decision to buy a new 2016 as I really would like both ABS and a reverse gear.

Other speculation is that he said that the F6B and the Valkyrie have been a real sales disappointment to Honda and they may even be discontinuing the models for 2017 and offering a full Goldwing that has a fully removable touring pack/rear passenger barcalounger and thus allowing someone to create a F6B or Valkyrie when the mood or riding requirements strikes them.

Interesting times to be shopping for a new cruiser/touring big bike.

Ride safe

Xharley
    the Aussie 2016 has Reverse ABS and cruise control as standard they need to put a centre stand on it as standard

Quote Originally Posted by AussieF6B View Post
    the Aussie 2016 has Reverse ABS and cruise control as standard they need to put a centre stand on it as standard
    In Canada in 2016 we get Cruise, Combined/ABS as "standard" (no reverse offered, even as an option... want reverse? Buy a Wing). To add to the confusion, the only Cdn 2015 F6B model was listed as "ABS" on the Honda Canada website but had the same standard features...

Quote Originally Posted by Circle-5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    THAT was Very good indeed. I snorted beer through my sinuses when I read that. Seriously.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

new harley 2017

I've never owned a harley.when finally could afford a touring ride the f6b was choice cause of sport bike past and wife who loved the seat.However, I personally think street glide is coolest looking tourer out there.Wantone and Old rider good posts.I just can't stomach the harley riders who can't acknowledge other great bikes.like has been mentioned millenials just can't as a whole afford these bikes.Frankly smaller displacement midsized bikes will probably become more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieF6B View Post

AussieF6B,

Thanks for the info.

Do you know what the curb weight is on your F6B and is yours a standard or a Deluxe?

The 2016 US standard model has a curb weight of 844 lbs wet and the Deluxe has a weight of 855 lbs wet.

Would be interested in seeing what the addition of the reverse unit and the ABS adds to the total weight.

And, I would gladly give up a center stand for ABS brakes. I like the linked brakes that the F6B has but ABS is a safety item that shouldn't be an option on a modern heavy touring machine. Traction control is also good and would be nice to also have on the F6B.

Thanks and ride safe,

XHarley