Switch from Madstad back to F4 Customs windshield
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch from Madstad back to F4 Customs windshield

Switch from Madstad back to F4 Customs windshield

Has anyone ever switched from their Madstad back to a regular windshield for the winter or just a change of pace?

I have a 3/4 helmet that is giving me some turbulence which goes away if I duck down a little. I thought I might try my F4 Customs 16" with tint and vent again. I used to love this shield before I tried the Madstad.

I put the Madstad on and never looked back for the last year and a half. I usually ride with a 1/2 helmet or my Schuberth modular and the Madstad is perfect for them. When I tried the 3/4 helmet which gets me closer to the 1/2 helmet feel but provides more safety and warmth I will need a higher shield.

I am going to ride out to Denver CO in October (30 days from now) so it might be cold and I thought the F4 Customs windshield may help with the cold also. I think Denver will be anywhere from 30 at night to 70 during the day.

What do you guys think?
    Steve

I swapped out my 13" Madstad for my tall Honda shield earlier this summer because I found the medium grey a bit too dark in some circumstances. When I get around to ordering a light grey replacement I will put it back on but for now I don't mind the tall Honda shield. Combined with the mirror wings it works fine for me right now.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Last year I was headed down to Biketoberfest in Daytona and felt I would need more protection for the long highway run than my 11" Madstad. So I bought a Goldwing V Stream shield and drilled it to fit the F6B. It was a bit calmer behind the shield but I was now looking thru it not over it. Also I picked up much more road noise with the V Stream.
    After getting home I bought the 15" Madstad clear and if I make a long run I pop the 11" off and put the 15 on and have the best of both worlds. It is a quick 4 screw change without a major shield change like going to the V Stream...

The right pic is the V Stream and the other 15 Madstad

One big down side for me was the vent... I do NOT like the vent because I have a long beard and with the vent open it pushes my beard up into my face...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

I would like to stay with the Madstad because I love the extra dark tint on the bike. Some hate the look but I love it. I need to play with the madstad / raise it up / push the top forward etc... and then that may be enough.

I already have a F4 Customs that I can try also / I can just look over the top and the vent does not bother me I just shaved my beard (it was not that long anyway).

It is so great to have everyone on the forum to get info from. Usually someone has done almost anything you can think about. Thank you for the advice.

Steve

I did purchase the 11 inch madstad and now im trying the 13 inch. I cant seem to get even the 13 inch to get all the air over my head. Funny that the site suggests a 5'10" rider would use an 11". Because I'm that height and I see easily over the 13" adjusted fully up, no problem. And to be honest I am just not not totally happy with the wind the 13" is blocking at 70 MPH even all the way up. My last option is the 15" but I am seriously considering sending it all back and getting the large F4 +4. I dont want to look through but I am just not 100% happy with the wind protection the madstad is providing. Also have the 17" honda tall which actually blocks more to the face but gets nasty vacuum and buffeting. The 13" madstad gets me what i need if i lean down and scoot up behind it but when i lean back and relax its a lot of wind. At 40 to 50 mph the madstad is a gem but i want more protection at hwy speeds.

Once installed is the F4 taller than the OEM Tall windshield, and by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by rdeady View Post
    I did purchase the 11 inch madstad and now im trying the 13 inch. I cant seem to get even the 13 inch to get all the air over my head. Funny that the site suggests a 5'10" rider would use an 11". Because I'm that height and I see easily over the 13" adjusted fully up, no problem. And to be honest I am just not not totally happy with the wind the 13" is blocking at 70 MPH even all the way up. My last option is the 15" but I am seriously considering sending it all back and getting the large F4 +4. I dont want to look through but I am just not 100% happy with the wind protection the madstad is providing. Also have the 17" honda tall which actually blocks more to the face but gets nasty vacuum and buffeting. The 13" madstad gets me what i need if i lean down and scoot up behind it but when i lean back and relax its a lot of wind. At 40 to 50 mph the madstad is a gem but i want more protection at hwy speeds.

Keep in mind that sometimes a lower setting will actually move more air farther up over your head due to the tunnel effect of the outer shield working with the inner shield. If you have the shield up high there is less of a tunnel between the two shields. A taller shield set low will be better than a shorter shield set high.

Also an angle too far forward will give less lift and more disturbed air. That is why Madstad suggests (I think it was) 60 deg.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Ride along at a decent speed and hold your hand up above your head and find the air stream. You can then get an idea of how high you need the shield to get the air up and over you. One nice thing about the Madstad is you can run it a little lower than normal and tilt it forward and that helps push the air up higher. I run the 15 inch front all the way down and slightly forward and it gets me clean air for what ever helmet I use and i'm 6'4" tall.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

I have decided to use my new (last December) Schuberth C3 modular helmet. I will try and use it most of the time which has been my goal for a long time now. I can adjust the Madstad up higher to my nose level when needed or down all the way and I am happy with it now.

---------------------------------------------------

With the Madstad windshield up to where it is even with my nose:

I can wear my Schubert C3 with the modular part up over my head and either sunglasses or the drop down visor at 80 mph + with no buffeting, strong wind push back, or noise.

I can wear my Scorpion 3/4 with full face shield down.

----------------------------------------------------

With the Madstad windshield all the way down: (my preferred location for best view over the shield / looks)

I can run the Schuberth C3 with the modular part down, clear face shield up, and the black tinted visor down with no problems. It does not have any buffeting and can provide comfort in up to 80 degree heat.

I can wear my Scorpion 3/4 with the full face shield removed.

I can wear my Bell Pit Bull or my HD 1/2 helmet.

---------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your comments.
    Steve

I am only 5'10" with a 13" . Stock seat,hand wings. I cant get the wind totally over my head in any position. Put hand up and air hits me at forehead lvl. Ill try a few more positions but i am just not seeing the same results you guys are talking about Also some wind banging into my ears when i used a small helmet. And to be honest the passenger gets lots of wind. I was about to pull it off and put old shield back and ship it back. Ill try it a little more this weekend. My last try. I could probably see over a 15" all the way down but i don't want to try another if the 13 doesn't work for me