Test Rode an Indian Chieftain - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Test Rode an Indian Chieftain

I rode them last year and I was impressed, I could see the leathered out model sharing garage space with my F6B...

Attachment 6519

BTW, Go Redskins...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

With all due respect to anyone who owns an Indian or is about to. I too test drove the chieftan. They look very beautiful. Few nice toys. But that's it!
    Even though the engine is large displacement, I found it a gutless dog of a bike.
    Very disappointed and boring to ride. I twisted the throttle and needed to wait what seemed like 3 seconds for the engine to respond.

Coming from the VTX 1800 and now the 6, performance I important to me. The Indian is not tuned for performance.
    The Indian is not for me. A big Yawn to ride. It's just a look at me bike, but it all stops there .

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    IMHO,,,,

If Indian doesn't come out soon with something that DOESN'T look like an Indian,,, their market share will only continue to shrink,,,

Nostalgia can only get ya so far,,,

Wash tub fenders!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluciano View Post
    With all due respect to anyone who owns an Indian or is about to. I too test drove the chieftan. They look very beautiful. Few nice toys. But that's it!
    Even though the engine is large displacement, I found it a gutless dog of a bike.
    Very disappointed and boring to ride. I twisted the throttle and needed to wait what seemed like 3 seconds for the engine to respond.

Coming from the VTX 1800 and now the 6, performance I important to me. The Indian is not tuned for performance.
    The Indian is not for me. A big Yawn to ride. It's just a look at me bike, but it all stops there .
    If you thought the 111 Indian motor was underpowered then whatever you do don't test ride a 103 Harley because you will think you're standing still.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    If you thought the 111 Indian motor was underpowered then whatever you do don't test ride a 103 Harley because you will think you're standing still.

'97 Valkyrie Tourer, SOLD!
    '98 Valkyrie Tourer, traded for wife's F6B
    '99 Valkyrie Tourer, traded in on MY NEW F6B!!!!
    '05 Shadow Spirit 750 traded for wife's F6B
    '05 Triumph Rocket 3, gone but not forgotten
    2013 F6B, black standard.
    2013 F6B, red Deluxe for the wife.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Vic, er, Indian, er Vindian is pretty happy about posting their TQ numbers, but they are pretty quiet about HP on the 111.

IMHO, the VTX 18 has a pretty decent helping of both,,, The Stratoliner had more TQ, but less HP, and the Wing is a little less TQ / good bit more HP than the Strat,,, (I've slept a little in-between all that so your experiences may differ)

I've ridden a '12 103 SG and it's nothing exceptional for power. Rode a 13 CVO Road King and it had nice TQ, but certainly nothing that I hadn't experienced before,,,

Vics are kinda like 'tweeners,,, 'More' power than a HD but less than a VTX 18, Strat, etc.

Haven't ridden a Vindian,,, I probably would just for S + G,,,, that is,,,, as long as I didn't have to wait in line!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Vics are kinda like 'tweeners,,, 'More' power than a HD but less than a VTX 18, Strat, etc.

Haven't ridden a Vindian,,, I probably would just for S + G,,,, that is,,,, as long as I didn't have to wait in line!
    I had a Victory Cross Roads with the 106 engine and in stock form it wasn't very impressive. After doing a typical Stage 1 upgrade (pipes, air intake & tune) the bike really woke up. Still no comparison to the F6B, but way better than a Stage 1 Harley.

As for the Indian waiting line, unless you plan to do a demo at Sturgis I don't think it will be an issue. The demo day I went too had 5 people at the Indian dealer and that included me, my friend and 3 sales people. These bikes don't seem to be flying off the showroom floor. I do hope they can stay in business this time though. Indian definitely gives Harley some well needed competition.

I like new Indians

I test rode new Indian Chief at Daytona Bikeweek this year as they first came out and was impressed. It was comfortable, handled well, had a good stock sound. As a cruiser it rode very well. It appeared to be of very high quality. I may get one eventually, I am partial to the base blue one:

Attachment 6536

I would like to add my own fairing and hard saddlebags, not yet available but I'm sure aftermarket will follow shortly.

But, I am not giving up my HD VRSCF anytime soon. I customized it for touring but kept all the performance. HD 103 may be a dog, but my Revolution 1250cc engine in my Muscle is not! At 125hp, 86 ft pounds of torque and less than 700lbs. weight the bike is much fun:

Attachment 6537Attachment 6538

Go Indian

I test rode the Classic and the Chieftain. Fell in love with the Chieftain, awesome ride, and all the bells and whistles are awesome.
    I love the bluetooth, the stereo is unmatched, and of course cruise and electronic windshield. Plus, just a gorgeous bike. If I got a V-twin again, it would be a Cheiftain.

Cool Born Again

Thanks for all the info, they do look good though. What would worry me is the fact that this is what their 3rd rebirth, just how long would they be around this time. Not likely to see many here in the UK.
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"